Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Clippers Forum

Los Angeles Clippers Forum Clippers message board - clippers fan forum

Old 03-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
starface
Banned

starface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation here
Default How good (bad) can we finish?

Right now we have the 3rd worst record with just 17 wins and 54 losses, altho the grizzlies (17-53) can pull even with one more loss.

The Wizards are second with 16 wins and the Kings are first with 15.

Those four teams are a lock to finish as the bottom 4. But the order is still up for grabs.

Now lets look our schedule. We play the Knicks tonite. I have a bad feeling about that one. I think way may actually win it. That could be devastating. After that, we should have a very nice run of consecutive losses. We play San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans, Denver, and the Lakers. Then it gets tricky. We play Minnesota, who is without Al Jefferson these days. It could be tough, but it would really help to lose that game. Then we play the Kings. that is a MUST-LOSE game! If we can lose at least 1 between the Knicks and Twolves, then lose to the aforementioned teams with winning records, that could potentially bring us even or within one of the Kings when we have our April 10th showdown with them. All we have to do it tie them in record because they have the head-to-head. Losing to them on April 10th could be a tremendous boost to our chances. Then we finish up with Portland, Utah, and OKC. Those should all be losses.

Now, this team has a strong propensity to shoot itself in the foot and lose games in the 4th quarter that it had no business losing. HOPEFULLY the opposite does not hold true, and we dont go on a self-defeating win streak here at the end of the season. We have a very favorable schedule to position ourselves in the lottery with. We better not blow this. Not only do we obviously get more ping-pong balls if we finish last or second last, but on the other hand, if we finish with the best record of the bottom 4, then three unlikely teams get lottery picks, that could push us down to #7 in the draft. I know thats where we got Gordon, but its still not an ideal situation year in and year out. We need to fight for that lottery pick. And by fight, I mean lose.

Last edited by starface : 03-25-2009 at 11:53 AM.
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
qrich
King Heno

qrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: How good (bad) can we finish?

More losses the better at this point. I say we just give guys on the bench the time and see who to bring back next year. Mardy, Mike, Steve, DeAndre, Gordon and even the vets like Ricky and Brian should get the majority of the time.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
starface
Banned

starface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
More losses the better at this point. I say we just give guys on the bench the time and see who to bring back next year. Mardy, Mike, Steve, DeAndre, Gordon and even the vets like Ricky and Brian should get the majority of the time.

Agreed. Mike, Steve, and DeAndre especially should start getting significant minutes, as they are guys we are likely to rely on much bigger contributions from next year.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
qrich
King Heno

qrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation here

I'd like to keep Mardy around as well. I like how he relentlessly attacks the rim along with his solid ball handling skills.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Al Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I'd like to keep Mardy around as well. I like how he relentlessly attacks the rim along with his solid ball handling skills.

Yes, but he needs to work on his shot. He's really a lot like Rajon Rondo right now without the speed or minutes.
Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
qrich
King Heno

Well, it was an exciting win last night, but it hurt us greatly.

With the victory, now, we are ahead of the Grizzlies percentage wise(.007) and further ahead of the Wiz/closer to the Wolves and Thunder.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Most of you guys are in favor of essentially "tanking" but I am not. This is a team with a lot of veterans who still need to learn to play with each other. Collins, Jordan, Gordon, Novak have all proven their worth. Now is the time to get as many guys as possible on the floor so you can build some chemistry going into next season. And I have never been a fan of essentially jewing the fans of a good game by not playing all players available to play. The young guys have had a lot of time to showcase their skills, play everyone so they can learn to play off each other better. I notice the lack of communication on the floor at times
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Al Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
Most of you guys are in favor of essentially "tanking" but I am not. This is a team with a lot of veterans who still need to learn to play with each other. Collins, Jordan, Gordon, Novak have all proven their worth. Now is the time to get as many guys as possible on the floor so you can build some chemistry going into next season. And I have never been a fan of essentially jewing the fans of a good game by not playing all players available to play. The young guys have had a lot of time to showcase their skills, play everyone so they can learn to play off each other better. I notice the lack of communication on the floor at times

That's what I want too. But give DeAndre more PT.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
starface
Banned

damn, that loss to the knicks hurts. the good thing is, washington beat the bobcats as well so we didnt lose any ground on them. and the grizzlies and kings play each other tommorow night, so when we lose to the spurs we'll gain ground on one of them. hopefully the kings pull it out.

i've taken to not watching games anymore, because when i watch the game i inevitably root for us to win. so im trying to maintain a sense of detachment in order to root for mounting losses, which inevitably will put us in better position come draft time.

also, as far as developing chemistry vs. accumulating ping pong balls: i think getting a good lottery position is more important overall to the longterm health of this franchise than is organizing chemistry between randolph, camby, and kaman, when its already a tossup as to whether all three of them will even be here next year. and as far as "jewing" fans, you're not really doing that if you're playing the young prospects who you are expecting to be future contributors. if he was playing skinner and jason hart type guys in order to tank, thats one thing. fans arent gonna be upset seeing taylor and novak and jordan on the court. those guys are exciting.

Last edited by starface : 03-26-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by starface

also, as far as developing chemistry vs. accumulating ping pong balls: i think getting a good lottery position is more important overall to the longterm health of this franchise than is organizing chemistry between randolph, camby, and kaman, when its already a tossup as to whether all three of them will even be here next year. and as far as "jewing" fans, you're not really doing that if you're playing the young prospects who you are expecting to be future contributors. if he was playing skinner and jason hart type guys in order to tank, thats one thing. fans arent gonna be upset seeing taylor and novak and jordan on the court. those guys are exciting.

You never know who will be back. Kaman has been injured all season long and has a lengthy contract. Not the easiest piece to move in light of 2010 just around the corner. I understand your point about longterm health, but guys like Zach, Baron, Kaman, Gordon are all part of the longterm as of now. And they havnt had many games together. With the players they have, they are going to be looking to win, not rebuild next year. I just think its time to really build a cohesive unit.

I dont know, maybe Im different than you, but when I go to a game, I want to see a game as competitive as possible. ANd that means all stars play if they are able to. Sure Taylor, Novak, Jordan are fun guys to watch. But you have a better shot with the core guys. I just like to see good, competitive ball each time players go on the court. And this will do a lot for this team next year so they can learn to play off one another. Perhaps if anyone play Jordan bc of the possibility one of the bigs being gone. I wouldnt mind that too much
Old 03-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
Waking_Life
El Fuego Del Saber

Waking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

For all intents and purposes I would love to see for these last dozen games E.Gor just going nutzo in his offencive game...
Waking_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:10 PM   #12
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking_Life
For all intents and purposes I would love to see for these last dozen games E.Gor just going nutzo in his offencive game...

yea and if he averages 50 ppg for the rest of the year he still won't win ROY
Old 03-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #13
Waking_Life
El Fuego Del Saber

Waking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Thornton
yea and if he averages 50 ppg for the rest of the year he still won't win ROY
but at least well have a good time bro... at least well enjoy his performance...

remember as a clipper fan, we have to think of more than just winning... no offence
Waking_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #14
qrich
King Heno

To make it clear, I'm not trying to say we should tank. I'm just keeping my eyes on it, and with the next 5 games we have being tough, it puts us in a good situation.

I also feel that Camby won't be back next season. Don't know why, just a hunch I guess
Old 03-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #15
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
To make it clear, I'm not trying to say we should tank. I'm just keeping my eyes on it, and with the next 5 games we have being tough, it puts us in a good situation.

I also feel that Camby won't be back next season. Don't know why, just a hunch I guess

He really is the most valuable trading asset they have. He performed very well this year. His contract is small. Kaman's deal is bigger and longer and he barely played this season. Makes sense he would be the most likely dealt
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: