Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 03-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Rockbttm88
There is no dark side

Rockbttm88 has decent reputationRockbttm88 has decent reputation
Default Yi Jianlang... really?

Am I the only one getting tired of him? Why does he jack up so many mid-range jumpers when his shooting % sucks? He's just plain awful and even the home crowd was booing him last night after he was missing layups and dunks. It was embarrassing watching Ilgauskas bully him in the paint all night. Even Marv and The Czar were a little taken back by how easily he gets pushed around when playing defense.

I dont see why he's getting minutes over Ryan Anderson, who has proven to be a solid outside shooter, rebounder, and a much better defender.

Rockbttm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
Brovin Larris
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Brovin Larris has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Yi Jianlang... really?

I wholeheartedly agree with you, I'm absolutely fuming to see this guy in the starting lineup night after night. He's horrible, he can't defend, he can't shoot, he barely even gets touches on the ball because the other 4 players on the court realize how much he sucks.

It's frustrating and confusing as to why Lawrence Frank keeps him as a starter.. and even more frustrating is that he starts over Ryan Anderson, but on top of that he has refused to even put Anderson in the game lately!

What is in this guy's mind?

I have no doubt that if Anderson was in the game during that ugly 0-4 trip, we could be looking at a completely playoff picture right now. This guy brings energy and hustle to the game, and he could've been that x-factor that turned the momentum in those 3rd and 4th quarter meltdowns.

Lawrence Frank is shameful, and I'm surprised there are barely any complaints from fans or the media.
Brovin Larris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brovin Larris
Lawrence Frank is shameful, and I'm surprised there are barely any complaints from fans or the media.
ahem...
lawrence frank? you think frank ever asked for this guy?

frank is just some patsy who is under orders to start yi. that's not hard to tell, is it?

because every game frank obeys thorn's orders and starts yi, then subs him out as soon as he's made a show of being loyal.

honestly, simmons (or sub of choice) is now getting almost twice the minutes yi does.

are you actually watching the games, sir?
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
NJnetsfan1535
Future NBA Player

NJnetsfan1535 has decent reputation

i hate yi so much, he doesnt do anything, he shouldnt even be playing at all
NJnetsfan1535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
Rockbttm88
There is no dark side

Yi should not be in the NBA.. period. He rode Yao's hype train all the way from China, because some businessmen saw the potential $$$ in bringing another Chinese star into the NBA.

Epic... failure
Old 03-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
Brovin Larris
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Brovin Larris has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
are you actually watching the games, sir?

I've watched nearly every single game on YES, and have been to four in person.

Furthermore, I don't think Lawrence Frank has "orders" to keep Ryan Anderson on the bench for nearly a month, now does he?
Brovin Larris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brovin Larris
Furthermore, I don't think Lawrence Frank has "orders" to keep Ryan Anderson on the bench for nearly a month, now does he?
good point, but then again pretty-much every coach in the league prefers vets to rookies.

anderson is a rookie.
he can wait.

of course, i would prefer him to start over yi, but then again i'm not the guy who traded for yi. and neither is frank, lol.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
Rusty
Host of a Nets podcast

Rusty has decent reputation

Do I think Yi deserves to start now? No. Do I think he has deserved to start since returning from injury? No. Do I hate him and think he's a bad player? No and No. Guys... don't let your current disappointment in him cloud your view of his still un-capped potential. Remember how good he looked pre-injury?

And for the record, yes. I think it is clear that Coach Frank is facing some pressure to start Yi (indirectly from the Chinese government).
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Kiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation here

But we have to ask a question: Why is Yi Jianlian wearing the Nets Jersey? He should still be playing for the Bucks...
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #10
Rusty
Host of a Nets podcast

Rusty has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
But we have to ask a question: Why is Yi Jianlian wearing the Nets Jersey? He should still be playing for the Bucks...
There are quite a few reasons why. I'll give you two:
- He was involved in the RJ deal as a way of clearing a HEAP of salary space (arguably the most important factor of that whole deal)
- He was the most promising young player the Bucks had (and still would be, if he was still a Buck today)

I can definitely see the frustration with Yi. Hell, I share it. The guy has been a 7-foot waste of space since returning from injury - but I have to believe that's due to a combination of lack of rhythm and lack of confidence, and not a lack of ability. In his short career to date, I've still seen enough to tell me he could yet be something special.

I don't think we should be asking ourselves why Yi is still on this roster, but not asking ourselves why Sean is. He's the one that really needs to go.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #11
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

JerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat coolJerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty
Do I think Yi deserves to start now? No. Do I think he has deserved to start since returning from injury? No. Do I hate him and think he's a bad player? No and No. Guys... don't let your current disappointment in him cloud your view of his still un-capped potential. Remember how good he looked pre-injury?

And for the record, yes. I think it is clear that Coach Frank is facing some pressure to start Yi (indirectly from the Chinese government).

I been saying this from day one...Im sorry but in my opinion, YI is not Good. I've tried to give him a chance, i really did. I sat and watched and hoped that this guy could grow into something. I can understand if he was a rookie...but he makes rookie mistakes. Rusty u say : "don't let your current disappointment in him cloud your view of his still un-capped potential" Im sorry but i see no potential in YI. The only good thing that he has is a jumper. At 7'0 you should be able to do more than shoot nice jump shots.. LIKE block shots, Rebound, Dunk, Be strong and aggressive. Grab Offensive and Defensive boards. Be a DEFENSIVE threat. If Yi showed flashes of these aspects of the game then i could agree with you and say that yes there is uncapped potential. But after watching this guy all year, THE only good thing that I've seen so far is his nice jumpshot when that falls. He's going to need like 3 or 4 more years of development, before we see that potential... Not worth it in my opinion.

Sean Williams on the other hand does have off court issues yes i agree, but he has at least shown flashes of being a pretty good defensive player as far as his blocks, rebounds, energy, and athleticsm, and defensive presence. Not a great offensive guy, but he can be great defensive wise.
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #12
Rockbttm88
There is no dark side

JerzeyBlaze speaks the truth. Yi doesnt need time to develop because he will never develop in this league. He just isnt aggressive enough to play in the NBA.

Plus you all need to remember that he isnt as young as you think. He has failed to provide a legal birth certificate showing that hes 21. All signs indicate that his agent made him lie about his age, to improve his chances of being drafted. Whenever he registered in Chinese tournaments, he claimed to be born in 1984. But then he comes to America and he's magically now born in 1987. Gimme a break.

Yi should never have been allowed to enter the league in the first place. And now the poor fans of the New Jersey Nets are stuck with a failed marketing gimmic as a starting PF.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #13
gigantes
A piece of fluff

i don't think it's fair to say that yi does nothing well. the real source of my frustration is that he doesn't do those things consistently well.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #14
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Yi has been disspointing...He has shown many signs...but not all the signs were positive.
If he could stay consisitent even for just 1 week I would be happy at this point.
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: