Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
undertaker21
Serious playground baller

undertaker21 has decent reputationundertaker21 has decent reputation
Default Something interesting to look at and/or think about (long read)

I was glancing over some posts in some "Bosh deadbeat" threads, and I saw mention of the 50 cent case as a comparison, so I decided it would be interesting to look at it and post the details of what happened with that.

Quote:
On October 13, 1997, 50 Cent's then-girlfriend Shaniqua Tompkins gave birth to a son, Marquise Jackson. Tompkins later sued 50 Cent for $50 million dollars, claiming that he said that he would take care of her for life; the suit, which includes 15 claims was later dismissed by a judge, calling it "an unfortunate tale of a love relationship gone sour."

The birth of his son changed 50 Cent's outlook on life: "when my son came into my life, my priorities changed, because I wanted to have the relationship with him, that I didn’t have with my father." He credited his son for inspiring his career and being "motivation to go in a different direction". He also has a younger cousin, Michael Francis, who lived with him when he was a child. Two Five earned the nickname "25 Cent" for being his younger counterpart and he raps under that stage name.

http://entwire.blackvoices.com/2008/...by-mama-drama/
Quote:
Despite being one of the most successful rappers in the industry, 50 Cent still has to deal with baby mama drama.

The 32-year-old Queens, New York native (real name: Curtis Jackson) is being sued by his son's mother Shaniqua Tompkins, who filed the lawsuit on April 2 claiming the rapper is trying to evict her and their 10-year-old son Marquise from their Long Island home.

Whoa.

Apparently Tompkins wasn't too thrilled to hear Fiddy (as he is known) had alternate plans of buying her a $2.4 million pad in Dix Hills, New York.

According to her lawyer, Paul Catsandonis, the 'I Get Money' rapper promised her the lavish domain only to find out he had the house put in his name.

Damn! He doesn't only "get" money, he knows how to keep it, too.

At press time, 50's camp was unavailable for comment.

Victory is in the air for Fiddy once again as he wins another battle, but this time it ain't on the mic -- it's in court.

Quote:
50 has won in his eviction case against his ex-girlfriend/baby mama. Even though they split up years ago, Shaniqua Tompkins, thought she had the "right" to stay in a house that 50 Cent purchased -- without consent! Reports revealed the judge presiding over the case ruled in favor of 50, denying Tompkins motion to stay in the house and granting Fiddy 9,000 bucks in court fees -- which Tompkins has to pay.

Quote:
“He tried to kill me and his own child,” Tompkins has declared. “I know this came from 50 Cent.” While arson investigators probe the Dix Hills fire, Fitty’s legal team is drafting a defamation complaint against Tompkins.

“There comes a point where you can no longer sit on your hands and listen to her spread these falsehoods,” 50’s lawyer, Brett Kimmel, tells us. “Besides hurting his reputation, they have a damaging impact on their son.” The hip-hop king (real name, Curtis Jackson) charges that since the fire, Tompkins has refused to let him see Marquise or tell him where he’s living. Tompkins has “made it practically impossible” for 50 to speak to or see his son, according to a petition filed this week in Suffolk County Family Court.

50 says that when he learned Marquise’s cell phone was destroyed in the fire, he sent him a new one, along with a duffle bag of new clothes. Tompkins has “failed and refused to give the cell phone to Marquise,” 50 alleges. “The only way [50] can communicate with his son is to call [Tompkins'] cell phone. On June 11 … [she] did permit [50] to speak with his son. However … she was hovering over Marquise, monitoring the conversation and, after a short while, she interrupted the conversation by taking the phone from Marquise and began yelling at [50],” who eventually hung up on her.

Quote:
CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. (AP) — Rapper 50 Cent's child support payments are no chump change. He doles out $25,000 a month in child support and household expenses to the mother of his 10-year-old son, Marquise Jackson.

But the boy's mother, Shaniqua Tompkins, says that's not enough. The rapper, whose real name is Curtis Jackson, is "worth tens and tens of millions of dollars," said her attorney, Raoul Felder.

The two are wrangling over the issue in a Long Island family court, where the rapper arrived Friday in an armored SUV with a satellite dish.

50 Cent famously vowed to Get Rich or Die Tryin' on a 2003 album, and he no longer needs to worry about the latter alternative. With his G-Unit record label, clothing line, ringtones and other enterprises, 50 Cent reeled in an estimated $33 million in the last year, according to Forbes. He has sold more than 11 million albums and has a new album, Curtis, due out in September.

The rapper's lawyer, Brett Kimmel, called Tompkins "insatiable."

Quote:
Despite attempts to obtain a $50,000 per month child support order, Shaniqua Tomkins, who is the mother of 50 Cent’s ten year old son, Marquis, will receive a less than $10,000 order from her rapper ex.

Tomkins asked for $50,000 a month and was granted $25,000 a month while the court went through her and Marquis’ expenses. A ruling was handed down earlier this week: Tomkins will now receive a paltry $6,700 a month in support from Fitty. The rapper’s lawyer, Brett Kimmel, said, “My client and I are very happy with the ruling.

Quote:
The New York Post is reporting that 50 Cent found out Monday that he will no longer pay his ex-girlfriend Tomkins $25,000 a month for child support of his son Marquis. The court ruled the G-Unit President will now only have to pay $6,700 a month. We previously reported that 50 filed this motion with the Suffolk County Family Court a year ago to create an official child support arrangement because his ex-girlfriend and mother of his son was demanding a lot of financial support.

In April awarded Tomkins $25,000 a month ($10,000 in child support and $15,000 for expenses), half of what she was demanding, while the court reviewed the expenses for her and 50's son. Now that the review is over, the court handed down it's decision this week. "My client and I are very happy with the ruling," 50's lawyer, Brett Kimmel told the New York Post.

Quote:
The ongoing feud between 50 Cent and Shaniqua Tompkins, the mother of his 11-year-old son, Marquise, heated up Monday (September 8) inside a Long Island courtroom, as a family court judge ruled that the rapper can spend more time with the boy.

According to his lawyer, Brett Kimmell, 50 will be able to see his child on alternating weekends; this is the only visitation the rapper has with Marquise. But, as part of his temporary ruling, Judge David Freundlich ordered 50 and Tompkins to hand their son off at a police station. The judge also issued an order of protection, barring 50 from having any contact with Tompkins.

Outside the court, Tompkins told reporters the judge awarded 50 too much time with Marquise, saying, "My son doesn't want every other weekend." 50, on the other hand, seemed quite pleased with the outcome.

"Yeah, I'm happy. I get a chance to see him," Newsday quotes 50 as saying. "I'm going to hang out ... make some movies, make some music and continue to kick it.

07:37 AM EDT 02/06/2009
Return to The Newswire
Add PEOPLE News

* RSS
* My AOL
* My Google
* My Yahoo
* My MSN

50 Cent
Quote:
Trials & Lawsuits
Judge Throws Out $50 Million Lawsuit Against 50 Cent

Originally posted 02/05/2009 04:35PM

A New York judge has dismissed a $50 million lawsuit filed by 50 Cent's ex-girlfriend, who was seeking half the rapper's assets, according to his attorney.

State Supreme Court Justice Judge Carol Edmead granted 50 Cent summary judgment Wednesday on the lawsuit, in which Shaniqua Tompkins, 33, also claimed the singer was trying to evict her and their 12-year-old son, Marquise, from their Long Island, N.Y., home.

"I'm very thankful for this decision," the hip-hop star (real name: Curtis Jackson), 33, said in a statement. "I knew that once the facts were heard that justice would prevail. I hope now that we can put this behind us and move forward with our lives."

I guess the conclusion i'm drawing from all of this is that the situation is pretty common amongst athletes and hip hop artists. And we'll have to see how Bosh's situation plays out in court. A break up/child support case becomes even messier and uglier than any normal case when it's dealing with a rich, high profile entertainer/athlete.

Last edited by undertaker21 : 03-27-2009 at 12:24 PM.
undertaker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation
Default Re: Something interesting to look at and/or think about (long read)

50 Cent is only paying 6700 a month? I mean wow... That's only like 80 grand a year. That's pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Especially looking at how much money he makes and they way he lives such a lavish lifestyle.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: