Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
bail
Serious playground baller

bail has an OK reputation so far
Default Whats the best defense/offense against bigger teams?

I was asked to coach a team in a minor league. I have at least 4 big guys that can play the PF and C position the rest of my players are quite small, our next opponent is much bigger than my team. Any tips on what offensive plays or defensive plays to use?
bail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
tastystaci
Local High School Star

tastystaci has decent reputation
Default Re: Whats the best defense/offense against bigger teams?

Go zone, pack it in, make them beat you from the outside. Make sure all 5 guys crash the boards. If they don't put their asses on the bench.
tastystaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
PoGoMon
ageless wonder

PoGoMon has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bail
I was asked to coach a team in a minor league. I have at least 4 big guys that can play the PF and C position the rest of my players are quite small, our next opponent is much bigger than my team. Any tips on what offensive plays or defensive plays to use?

Try these age-old tested methods:

On offense, run circles around those big guys, who generally don't like to keep running.

On defense - get your guys to "chest-up" (second skin) on their bigs, making it difficult for them to have the needed room to get off a decent shot. Do a Scott Skiles on those big guys - annoy the hell out of them every second - NO let-up.
Good Luck!
PoGoMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Zone on D.
Pick and rolls on offense.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'd suggest pressing and then falling back into a zone. Or running a zone with some aggressive trapping principles, which can be hard to rebound out of.
But it's important to stay aggressive on their ballhandlers. Which they may not have many of considering their size, and if they do, pressuring him, even in a box and one type scheme, makes it difficult for the bigs to get the ball.

If you have a soft press in place, something I strongly suggest for any team, I'd use that. It gives the appearance of pressure without giving up the weakspots a normal trapping press gives up. If a team really has ballhandling problems, but can still run, they'll make their own mistakes against it. Something like a 2-2-1 (Uconn's bread and butter for years), or I run a 1-2-1-1, that I often trap out of, but have a variation where fade my point into the middle after the inbound, and bring my weak wing up to the reversal guy. It doesn't leave many openings even though it looks the same as the trap I've been throwing all game.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
clayton
Banned

clayton is considered somewhat coolclayton is considered somewhat coolclayton is considered somewhat cool

Decline the offer and tell him/her that you don't know how to coach.
clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
Scottish Pippen
I brick open layups

Scottish Pippen has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bail
If your smaller guys are quick, a 3-2 or a pressing 1-2-2 zone would be perfect, they should be able to contest shots and if they fail to stop guys from getting to the basket, the opponent still have to face your big before getting an easy bucket, while your smaller guys should try to rotate well when your bigs help out. You said you have 4 guys who can play PF-C so your bigs would be able to help penetrations without having to care much about foul trouble.
Scottish Pippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
bail
Serious playground baller

bail has an OK reputation so far

Any website that you can recommend for offensive and defensive plays?
bail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
Yung D-Will
Utah Jazz (6-6)

Yung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation here

When it doubt go to a Zone
Yung D-Will is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: