Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Article: Daily News - Lakers forward Gasol's play draws praise from Nets coach Frank

By Elliott Teaford

Quote:
ATLANTA - By now it's obvious Pau Gasol is the Lakers' second-best player behind Kobe Bryant.

Even when fellow 7-foot center Andrew Bynum is healthy and dunking and rebounding with gusto, he lacks Gasol's versatility on the court.

Gasol scored a season-best 36points on 14-for-19 shooting while leading the Lakers to a victory Friday over the New Jersey Nets. It was a fine scoring game, to be sure, but he also added 11 rebounds and seven assists in more than 44 minutes.

Later, New Jersey coach Lawrence Frank heaped praise upon him.

"Gasol was great," Frank said after watching the Spaniard score, rebound and set up teammates for baskets during the Lakers' 103-95 victory.

"You can make an argument that this guy is probably the second-best player on (any) team in the NBA."

There are plenty of superb guard and center or power forward combinations around the league, including Tony Parker and Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs and Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer of the Utah Jazz.

The defending NBA champion Boston Celtics have a three-headed monster of guard Ray Allen along with forwards Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce.

Frank put Bryant and Gasol at the top of the list, however.

Bryant credited Gasol with the skills and smarts to adjust to the power forward role, yielding to Bynum in the post when the season began in late October and then shifting back to center after Bynum injured his right knee at the end of January.

"Great player, great player, high basketball IQ, very versatile," said Bryant, a candidate to win his second consecutive MVP award. "He can pass, he can shoot and he can handle (the ball). You can put him anywhere out on the floor."

Meanwhile, Lakers coach Phil Jackson managed to find a slight flaw to Gasol's game, mildly criticizing him for failing to chase after several rebounds in the first half.
more here
http://www.dailynews.com/ci_12022108?source=rss_viewed
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
bladefd
Good college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Daily News: Lakers forward Gasol's play draws praise from Nets coach Frank

To be perfectly honest, I think Gasol might be our most efficient and most consistent player on our whole roster, including both Kobe and Bynum. So far, I would compare Gasol's offense to what Rodman's defense was to the Bulls. Very consistent and reliable almost every game. Now if only Gasol can do it when we need it the most in later rounds of the playoffs...

If Gasol was never a #1 option in his career yet, people would be saying that he would be great as the #1 option. Unfortunately, we all know better. I still respect his game though and don't have much to complain about. He does it on the offensive facet of the game from passing out assists to scoring to rebounding to taking efficient shots when we need it to hold onto leads or to take leads. If he could carry that into the playoffs and if we get Bynum back healthy for playoffs, we will be close to being godlike.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Waking_Life
El Fuego Del Saber

Waking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Daily News: Lakers forward Gasol's play draws praise from Nets coach Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
To be perfectly honest, I think Gasol might be our most efficient and most consistent player on our whole roster, including both Kobe and Bynum. So far, I would compare Gasol's offense to what Rodman's defense was to the Bulls. Very consistent and reliable almost every game. Now if only Gasol can do it when we need it the most in later rounds of the playoffs...

If Gasol was never a #1 option in his career yet, people would be saying that he would be great as the #1 option. Unfortunately, we all know better. I still respect his game though and don't have much to complain about. He does it on the offensive facet of the game from passing out assists to scoring to rebounding to taking efficient shots when we need it to hold onto leads or to take leads. If he could carry that into the playoffs and if we get Bynum back healthy for playoffs, we will be close to being godlike.

I agree with most of your stuff here

Except for the 'godlike' comment when it comes to Bynum.. Im not stating that I would not love it if when he returns that he is totally healthy and pushes the Lakers to a higher level... I just dont think that even even he becomes healthy, that it will be that simple, to incorporate him into the flow of things...

But regardless... when it comes to Bynumites' D.. I cannot wait till he returns..
Waking_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
GoldMedallist
Great young streetballer

GoldMedallist has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd

Put Kobe as a first option in that Memphis team and you will get exactly the same: 50 victories and a 1st round exit.
GoldMedallist is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: