Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Lakers Post Game Article: LA Times - Lakers lose their first game on road trip (ATL)

Simply put... an ugly game....

Source: Lakers lose their first game on road trip

Quote:

Reporting from Atlanta The Lakers' chances at a perfect road trip disappeared in an 86-76 loss this afternoon to the Atlanta Hawks at Philips Arena.

The Lakers had a terrible time shooting and fell to 4-1 on a seven-game trip, their longest of the season.

They also fell two games behind the Cleveland Cavaliers (60-13) for the league's best record.

The Lakers (58-15) were cold throughout the game, making 28 of 80 shots (35%) on the way to one of their worst efforts of the season.

Pau Gasol was the only starter to show much accuracy, scoring 20 points on seven-for-10 shooting.

Kobe Bryant had 17 points on seven-for-19 shooting. He played despite a sprained right ankle but was slowed by intestinal flu-like symptoms.

The Lakers trailed at halftime, 40-39, managing to keep the game close despite shooting a woeful 14 of 42 (33.3%) in the first half. They were fortunate that the Hawks weren't much better, making only 18 of 47 shots (38.3%) in the half.

But Mike Bibby spurred the Hawks in the second half, finishing with 21 points while making five of six three-point attempts.

The Lakers play Charlotte on Tuesday and Milwaukee on Wednesday before heading home.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Lakers Post Game Article: LA Times - Lakers lose their first game on road trip (ATL)

very ugly game... by each and everyone one of them... when a game is played that poorly by so many i question the coaching staffs game prep
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
SoCalMike

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Lakers Post Game Article: LA Times - Lakers lose their first game on road trip (ATL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
very ugly game... by each and everyone one of them... when a game is played that poorly by so many i question the coaching staffs game prep

ok, interesting... the players looked lifeless out there with little energy and emotion. is that always on the coaching staff? are you suggesting that the ATL's game plan was too solid for the lakers coaching staff to overcome? from what i saw (which was not the whole game), the lakers just had no energy and focus.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
ok, interesting... the players looked lifeless out there with little energy and emotion. is that always on the coaching staff? are you suggesting that the ATL's game plan was too solid for the lakers coaching staff to overcome? from what i saw (which was not the whole game), the lakers just had no energy and focus.

when it's the team as a unit i say yes..this wasn't one guy having a bad game it was an entire team.... so they were missing something...this is one of those games we find out in a couple days or whatever they didn't practice before hand, they skipped morning shoot around or phil didn't take them sight seeing...lol

i realize phil is not a big rah rah man but sometimes that's what they need from a coach... somebody to pull them aside get in their faces and put the spurs to the team
Old 03-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
when it's the team as a unit i say yes..this wasn't one guy having a bad game it was an entire team.... so they were missing something...this is one of those games we find out in a couple days or whatever they didn't practice before hand, they skipped morning shoot around or phil didn't take them sight seeing...lol

i realize phil is not a big rah rah man but sometimes that's what they need from a coach... somebody to pull them aside get in their faces and put the spurs to the team

I thought I heard Myers saying that they didn't get to their hotel room until 4 am. To me, it's another classic case of the bench failing to step in and pick up the starters lackadaisal play
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
I thought I heard Myers saying that they didn't get to their hotel room until 4 am. To me, it's another classic case of the bench failing to step in and pick up the starters lackadaisal play
but wouldn't that have been saturday morning? they had a wholeday to rest and regroup certainly nothing more stressful than other road trips... get in at 4 am go to bed... have a late afternoon early evening practice or do film saturday evening then get in a shoot around sunday morning and get ready for the mid afternoon start
Old 03-30-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

SourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Lakers Post Game Article: LA Times - Lakers lose their first game on road trip (A

if kobe wasn't throwing up before the game i'm sure he was after...

i don't know why the second unit doesn't use pau more. jordan has been especially bad about it lately.

ugh that game was gross
SourGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:05 AM   #8
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Pau really needs more shots...was just a weird game in general. Think thats the end of the target to get HCA throughout now.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
but wouldn't that have been saturday morning? they had a wholeday to rest and regroup certainly nothing more stressful than other road trips... get in at 4 am go to bed... have a late afternoon early evening practice or do film saturday evening then get in a shoot around sunday morning and get ready for the mid afternoon start

ooops, my bad, I missed that part (the day they came to Toronto)
Again the bench have failed to pick the starters up. I am aware that thier regular bench have been (Ariza and Odom)raided by Phil, but still, not able to score and committing 5 turnovers while none of of them playing more than 17 mins is such a downer. I was hoping atleast for them to keep it close until the 4th guarter, then Kobe takes over and win, like a usual bad shooting game.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Net
Pau really needs more shots...was just a weird game in general. Think thats the end of the target to get HCA throughout now.

It is just my opinion that Pau needs a few minutes rest before Kobe and the other starters come out, then a "fresher" Gasol comes in with the bench and the offense comes through him. It just seemed to me that he is usually tired by the time the bench come in and replace the starters, rendering him somewhat useless out there.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #11
djwhizard
drum & bass!

djwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected poster

What an ugly game, the Lakers were just missing "gimme" shots around the rim. Missed a number of layups, just couldn't get the ball in the net.

Josh Powell had a particularly ugly game, he had a very poor shooting night (not unlike many other Lakers that day) - but when did he turn into Kwame Brown? He couldn't handle a pass to save his life. The ball was slipping out of his fingers all game long, it was the most frustrating thing to watch - then he would brick his shot attempts (forcing the issue in the post without any results).

When is Kobe going to snap out of his poor shooting funk? I know he wasn't feeling well yesterday, but when is the last game he had a really good shooting percentage? Or, a stretch of games with a good shooting percentage?

As has been the case since Andrew went down, as Odom goes - so do the Lakers. Odom had an off day yesterday - and that didn't give the Lakers much shot at winning the game with only two players getting to double digits.

Pau, as usual was a workhorse with 20+ points on very efficient shooting. We still need to get him more touches. The comment above about Pau being tired by the time the second unit comes in is interesting... I hadn't thought about it yet, but that could very well be the case at times.
djwhizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
Coop-A-Loop
I can handle it!!!

Coop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCoop-A-Loop is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I agree that yesterday was U G L Y but I guess I am confused as to why I get the feeling that the sky is falling when I read posts in the forum.

Over the last 10 games the Lakers are 8-2. This is the same record as Orlando and Denver with only Cleveland having a better record at 10-0 during this period.

Now I will agree that both of the losses are "bad" losses but there have been 13 other times this year the team has been on the wrong side, no three game losing streaks - a sign of a VERY GOOD basketball team - IMO.

Going into the playoffs they will have homecourt in the Western Conference and will also have it over anyone other than Cleveland. The same Cleveland team they have beaten twice this year - once when the Lakers were healthy in LA and once while Cleveland was healthy in Cleveland.

Last year the Lakers were the overwhelming favorites in a lot of peoples eyes to win it all even though Boston had homecourt in the finals even though two key players were not playing - we all know how that turned out.

This year, even without home court - again IMO - if you give me a healthy Bynum and let the rotation fall back into place - even starting in the second round of the playoffs - I will like their chances.

I guess I have never been a "sky is falling" person so I guess I am confused as to how this team is playing so poorly in everyone's eyes when they have the record that they do? Are folks just blowing off steam because of yesterday or do they feel that because they have blown some leads, yet recovered to win, they are not that good of a team?

Right now I will put this team in a seven game series against anyone in the league - a healthy Boston, Cleveland, Orlando, San Antonio (with or without homecourt advantage) and I will be pretty confident of my chances of cashing in.

Is armageddon coming and I am the last one to know?
Coop-A-Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #13
gts
Sons of Antartica

well today they said on the radio, (ireland) that indeed the lakers did not practice before the game yesterday... saturday was a day off and they watched film at "brunch" on sunday morning before the game and only had a extended warm up before the game. kobe was sick and missed both
Old 03-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #14
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts

yeah, and i know this is where many of us differ with phil's approach and wish he would be more involved emotionally from game to game, call time outs faster, etc... but he does have his style and approach and i am sure he found a way to teach them a lesson after the game...or perhaps he made sure they learned their own lessons. (the zen at work)

Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #15
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
yeah, and i know this is where many of us differ with phil's approach and wish he would be more involved emotionally from game to game, call time outs faster, etc... but he does have his style and approach and i am sure he found a way to teach them a lesson after the game...or perhaps he made sure they learned their own lessons. (the zen at work)

oh i'm sure and we know phil knows basketball... he may have seen a team that just didn't have it and let it play out instead of whipping a dead horse...lol
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: