Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-30-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default I think after last nights game...

... and the past 4 games for that matter, it should be pretty obvious to everyone that Bosh didn't give up on the team. Basically, the team rolled in to the season with new hope, new fire, a new energy. So they came in and played their hearts out, game after game. Then they started to lose heartbreaker after heartbreaker, injuries piled up, and next thing you know we're sitting here at 10+ games under .500. And I would say that collectively, the team got real down on themselves and lost confidence in their ability to win games. But I think the passion Bosh showed you yesterday should serve as proof that he has NOT quit and doesn't deserve to be treated like Vince Carter.

Last edited by bokes15 : 03-30-2009 at 08:50 AM.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

RAPSCANWIN has decent reputation
Default Re: I think after last nights game...

I think thats a fair assessment..
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

And last night also showed that Jose is not the issue with this team. If you add an upgraded 2, a defensive C to start or backup Bargs......along with a better coach, I think this team would be pretty solid.

That was a sick dunk by Pops!
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
And last night also showed that Jose is not the issue with this team. If you add an upgraded 2, a defensive C to start or backup Bargs......along with a better coach, I think this team would be pretty solid.

That was a sick dunk by Pops!

Regarding the coach.... I'm not sold that he's not the guy for the team... it's very hard for a guy to come in mid stream and change the mindset of the team and succeed, especially when your starting PG is injured, and your best player (Bosh) is fighting through injury most fo the year. Things you can point to that show that it might be a good idea to keep the guy around:

1) Bargnani's development
2) Graham turning into a servicable bench player
3) (and I don't think you can discount this enough) The fact that the Raps are still playing hard, even with nothing really to play for. It'd be real easy for these guys to mail it in at this point, but Triano has them playing hard.

Now, yes Triano has some improving to do in terms of substitutions, and some gameplan issues, but I think the D has improved under him, they are running more, and the O looks more fluid. I think you'll see him back next year.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

All that might be true, but we'd be even better with a better coach. Enough with the rookie coach. If we're serious about winning, get a proven vet coach (not like Lenny) and our team will be better.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

In response to RT, the Raptors aren't "still playing hard." It's pretty much random that they started playing hard when before that they were putting out lethargic, uninspiring performances. Even when the coach was yelling and screaming it was still not lighting a fire under the players. Also, I think that a lot of his late game strategies leave a lot to be desired. I don't mind retaining him as an assistant or something, but I think our coaching situation needs to be addressed.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

I also wonder if maybe keeping the issue re: his child secret has been weighing on Bosh and that it coming out in the open is almost some sort of relief, even if bad press has come with it. Even the bad press and questioning of his character may be helping light a fire under him.

I agree though that even when it seemed like Bosh may have "quit" on this team that comparrisons to Vince would have been unwarranted (although I don't believe that I made any) considering that when Vince phoned in his efforts he didn't even sniff a 20/10 average for the year. Wasn't he at 15 ppg in the year we traded him?

Jose also may have played great and not be THE problem on this team, but when he turned that ball over and almost cost us the game, my God I almost through my shoe at my TV.

Finally, Colangelo definately needs to head out on the road this summer and convince every gm in the league that the worst mistake he made this year was firing Smitch (he'd be lying of course) so that SOMEONE will sign him, get him off the books and we can hire a legit, respectible NBA head coach as RapsFan and bokes have suggested. This is arguably priorety #1 this summer.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
barkleynash
Good High School Starter

barkleynash has an OK reputation so far

I think they will probably keep Jay around for another full year, to see how it goes. People forget that he has a ton of international experience, coached at the Olympics and the National team for many years. He is not some assistant with limited experience, just flying by the seat of his pants. He saw something in Joey Graham that Mitchell didn't see, or at least couldn't get out of him. The raptors are rebounding the ball lately, which has helped them run and complete decent defensive possessions. That is the main reason they are playing well.

A look at their roster and they have a key decision to make.

I believe they want to resign Bosh. At least they will make decisions this summer to make that happen, and if they can't bring in the right guys, then they may go in another direction.

Assuming they keep Bosh,
Point guard is not the problem, Calderon and Ukic are solid.

2 guard- Options are Bring back Delfino, resign parker as the back-up and bring in somebody else at 2. If Delfino is the back-up 2 you need a really good starter at the 2 ,who can create, slash, shoot and defend, and rebound.

3. I would like to see them sign Marion and Graham. They will be fine at the

4 Bosh, Pops
5 Bargs and a new Back-up center. I would trade Humps, who is now redundant with pops in the picture. A back-up center and a starting 2 guard. Collangelo should be able to get that done. Rasho for cheap would be nice. Of course we will probably be stuck with Kapono. I would love to trade Kapono and Humps for someone to fill the starting 2 spot, is that possible?
barkleynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
RapsFan
Great college starter

Same trap we fall into all the time. Why be happy with an ok coach of a 25 win team. Make a spalsh and bring in a proven commodity.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

I honestly think that there is one reason that our team has finally turned around. One main reason really. That is Pops. We never really had that energy player off the bench. We had had good players, but we didn't have that player who could come in and make defensive plays, get the team all fired up and also play well and get open on the offensive end. We REALLY need to lock up pops to a 2-3 year "Humphries" contract.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
antonaki1
Serious playground baller

antonaki1 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
I honestly think that there is one reason that our team has finally turned around. One main reason really. That is Pops. We never really had that energy player off the bench. We had had good players, but we didn't have that player who could come in and make defensive plays, get the team all fired up and also play well and get open on the offensive end. We REALLY need to lock up pops to a 2-3 year "Humphries" contract.
Colangelo basically said that the Pops deal will get down as they retain his restricted free agent status and can match any contract that anyone offers him. Someone also said Humphries would be redundant now that Pops is in the picture. I don't really see why you would think that. Kris would be capable enough of backing up the center position for a few minutes a game and would be a great complement of energy to Pops game. Rasho would be nice if cheap but he didn't seem to take to well to coming off the bench. Kris's energy game would be better suited in my opinion.
They need to build a high energy second unit that can at least hold leads unlike this season and if done properly actually extend them. I think the season went awry when way to many early leads went massacred by the second unit. The 17 point lead in Boston was just one example of many. It started to wear on the starters mentally.
Because there was no backup point, Jose played way too much and never recovered from the wear and tear. Roko with a years experience should do a better job next year and fit in nicely with a high energy second unit. Hopefully Joey and Parker sign also and play off the bench as well.

Last edited by antonaki1 : 03-30-2009 at 02:36 PM.
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonaki1
Colangelo basically said that the Pops deal will get down as they retain his restricted free agent status and can match any contract that anyone offers him. Someone also said Humphries would be redundant now that Pops is in the picture. I don't really see why you would think that. Kris would be capable enough of backing up the center position for a few minutes a game and would be a great complement of energy to Pops game. Rasho would be nice if cheap but he didn't seem to take to well to coming off the bench. Kris's energy game would be better suited in my opinion.
They need to build a high energy second unit that can at least hold leads unlike this season and if done properly actually extend them. I think the season went awry when way to many early leads went massacred by the second unit. The 17 point lead in Boston was just one example of many. It started to wear on the starters mentally.
Because there was no backup point, Jose played way too much and never recovered from the wear and tear. Roko with a years experience should do a better job next year and fit in nicely with a high energy second unit. Hopefully Joey and Parker sign also and play off the bench as well.

So you want to re-sign all our UFA's and suit up essentially the same squad as this year? Damn I didn't get THAT much hope from last game...

At the very least graham, hump and jake need to be told to walk. I'm also not a fan of seeing Parker age another year before our eyes. I don't see how our bench "improves" by having all the same guys on it. Do tell?
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
barkleynash
Good High School Starter

barkleynash has an OK reputation so far

I like Humps, but I just don't see how he would get much, or any floor time in toronto. Bosh is going to get 38 minutes, Bargs will get 35, that leaves a little more than 20 for pops, and with foul trouble, they would probably swing Marion up to the 4. He's an expensive 5th post I would say. Yes, he is capable and good insurance, but I can't imagine he would be happy in that role.
I would love to see them trade Kapono, Humps and Delfino for Caron butler.
I doubt it would be possible though. I would love to hold on to Delfino if possible, but they would have to chuck in a first rounder if they kept him.
Imagine the raps with...

Calderon, Ukic
Butler, Parker or Delfino Can only keep one of them.
Marion, Graham
Bosh, Pops
Bargs, and Nesterovic

How would that team fair in the east. They would still have adequate depth and could rebound like mad and really defend. Here's to hoping that they could use some of their depth in a 3 for 1 trade to upgrade.

that second unit could run. And probably defend well enough to not let those big leads slip.
barkleynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #14
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkleynash
I like Humps, but I just don't see how he would get much, or any floor time in toronto. Bosh is going to get 38 minutes, Bargs will get 35, that leaves a little more than 20 for pops, and with foul trouble, they would probably swing Marion up to the 4. He's an expensive 5th post I would say. Yes, he is capable and good insurance, but I can't imagine he would be happy in that role.

I would love to see them trade Kapono, Humps and Delfino for Caron butler.

I doubt it would be possible though. I would love to hold on to Delfino if possible, but they would have to chuck in a first rounder if they kept him.
Imagine the raps with...

Calderon, Ukic
Butler, Parker or Delfino Can only keep one of them.
Marion, Graham
Bosh, Pops
Bargs, and Nesterovic

How would that team fair in the east. They would still have adequate depth and could rebound like mad and really defend. Here's to hoping that they could use some of their depth in a 3 for 1 trade to upgrade.

that second unit could run. And probably defend well enough to not let those big leads slip.

That would be the worst trade in Washington sports history. Butler is way too good of a player to be had for our bench scrubs.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #15
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
So you want to re-sign all our UFA's and suit up essentially the same squad as this year? Damn I didn't get THAT much hope from last game...

At the very least graham, hump and jake need to be told to walk. I'm also not a fan of seeing Parker age another year before our eyes. I don't see how our bench "improves" by having all the same guys on it. Do tell?

I think we need to resign Marion, Graham, Parker and Pops and let Voskuhl and O'Bryant walk. Graham is not a terrible player and can give a team a good 10-15 mins of toughness, rebounding, defense and moderate slashing. For the right price, I would welcome him back to our bench no problem. Plus we'll have Delfino and maybe have enough money left over for a backup C like Rasho.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: