Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-31-2009, 01:24 PM   #16
LakersLaLaLand
Local High School Star

LakersLaLaLand is popular on this boardLakersLaLaLand is popular on this boardLakersLaLaLand is popular on this boardLakersLaLaLand is popular on this boardLakersLaLaLand is popular on this board
Default Re: Do we need a really productive bench?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
no you don't need as deep a bench in the playoffs the starters can play 45 minutes a game because the pace is slower, there's more timeouts and they are longer than the regular season... the halftime break is 5 minutes longer and there's more days off between games... a team can get by with a 7 man rotation, 8 easily

thanks that is new to me.

Do you need the bench? Somewhat yes. Its always better to have an effective bench.

But GTS is correct. Teams substitution pattern gets much tighter during the playoffs.

Shannon Brown and Adam Morrison will get zero pt in the playoffs. Maybe 30 seconds here and there to close a game with the outcome already in hand.

Im curious about Mbenga and Powells PT. Gasol can play every single minute and probably will be over 40-42 minutes on most nights. Odom when hot...is the a great heat check player.
LakersLaLaLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:44 PM   #17
Erathia
Local High School Star

Erathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this board

I think the only question mark is Powell because of Bynum. If Bynum comes back healthy and ready to be a beast, Powell might only get 6-7 minutes.

I expect Farmar and Sasha both to get 10-15 minutes. Luke will get about 10 minutes maybe less if Bynum is back in the starting line up. Lamar will come off the bench but still see a lot of significant minutes.

I see Phil using a 9 man rotation during the playoffs, obviously not counting garbage minutes that we might see in a blowout win. Also hoping no one gets hurt!
Erathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
but's that's regular season, why wouldn't you want the best players on the floor for the most time? the pace of the playoffs is so different then the regular season you don't need to play the deep bench players..
what's better 45 minutes of kobe and 3 with sasha or 38 minutes of kobe and 10 with sasha...lol

actually interesting we discuss this because ESPN insider had an article on this yesterday..lol now we just need someone with insider to post it so we can see what it says

i was not referring to the regular season. i was referring to a winning forumula... yes, the playoffs/finals are different in format, but they are also the same. leveraging the assets a team has makes sense no matter what time of the season it is and depth does matter, regardless.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #19
mbell75
Another title in LA :)

mbell75 is considered somewhat coolmbell75 is considered somewhat coolmbell75 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
no you don't need as deep a bench in the playoffs the starters can play 45 minutes a game because the pace is slower, there's more timeouts and they are longer than the regular season... the halftime break is 5 minutes longer and there's more days off between games... a team can get by with a 7 man rotation, 8 easily

This is true. Would still be nice to see guys like Farmar, Sasha and Walton step up in the playoffs though.
mbell75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #20
LakersLaLaLand
Local High School Star

LakersLaLaLand is popular on this boardLakersLaLaLand is popular on this boardLakersLaLaLand is popular on this boardLakersLaLaLand is popular on this boardLakersLaLaLand is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
i was not referring to the regular season. i was referring to a winning forumula... yes, the playoffs/finals are different in format, but they are also the same. leveraging the assets a team has makes sense no matter what time of the season it is and depth does matter, regardless.

I would argue and many other would argue playoff games individually are much more important than regular season games. So the timing does matter.

I understand the "winning formula" should supercede all strategies. I believe Playing your starters more minutes increases the probability of winning. I can't back this up with numbers. My gut and brain know it.

The only numbers I can come up with are...

All starters minutes increase on every single playoff team across the board. While the overall bench minutes diminish.

Anybody know how we can look this up?
LakersLaLaLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:58 PM   #21
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersLaLaLand
I would argue and many other would argue playoff games individually are much more important than regular season games. So the timing does matter.

I understand the "winning formula" should supercede all strategies. I believe Playing your starters more minutes increases the probability of winning. I can't back this up with numbers. My gut and brain know it.

The only numbers I can come up with are...

All starters minutes increase on every single playoff team across the board. While the overall bench minutes diminish.

Anybody know how we can look this up?

nothing you say, i disagree with... yeah, so starters minutes increase come post season... okay... but the rotations still exist all the more important they are in ensuring the success of the team.

the forumula is to leverage those assets accordingly, and whether the rotations are 5 minutes or 15 minutes does not matter... what does matter is that when these players are in the game, that they are holding and or extending the lead or offer an effective match up to disturb the competition.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: