Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 03-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
NJnetsfan1535
Future NBA Player

NJnetsfan1535 has decent reputation
Default Could Lawrence Franks Job be in jeopardy this offseason?

After seeing how the nets have been lately and that they just havent been able to perform anymore.... is it possible he might get fired? i dont think he will cuz if he has the talent he can get far such as when we went to the finals but as of now, its not working
NJnetsfan1535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

MTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Could Lawrence Franks Job be in jeopardy this offseason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJnetsfan1535
After seeing how the nets have been lately and that they just havent been able to perform anymore.... is it possible he might get fired? i dont think he will cuz if he has the talent he can get far such as when we went to the finals but as of now, its not working

You cant say that for sure.

I think its time for a change. I just dont like how he lets his players do what they want to, hes not a enforcer at ALL. I mean sure from time to time he would take a technical to maybe fire up the team but that doesnt work as nearly as much he wants it to. Most of the time he just claps when something bad happens, even if were in the worst situation.
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

RecSpecs110 is considered somewhat coolRecSpecs110 is considered somewhat cool

It should be, but with his love affair with Rod Thorn, that is yet to be determined.

Nepotism can only go so far. IMO Frank's method's are either not working or not being listened to by the players. Honestly, he has had all the chances in the world. It's time to move on and get a fresh start. I'm beyond tired of hearing the same thing over and over. It will get better, it will get better. Things will click, it will take time. Give the other team credit, we have to come out with better energy, better focus. It's time to realize that the ship has sailed. You know it's time to turn the page when team with 10 or so games left in the season with their playoff lives on the line does not show any energy for two games straight.

I'm sorry, he needs to be fired. This was a reasonable discussion two years ago. Now? It should be a unanimous vote.

Last edited by RecSpecs110 : 03-30-2009 at 10:17 PM.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i must say, it's almost impossible to support frank after the last two losses and the golden state loss.

the thing that's most surprising to me is his apparent lack of progress as a head coach. when he started out and i first read all about him, i thought he had all the tools to be one of the great ones. since then it's been very hard to measure his progress.

the second half of the season has been a disaster, and other than yi, i really don't understand it. the team is young and made up of many newcomers, so you'd think it would be improving little by little, month after month.

so what is the problem if it's not the coaching staff?
tough schedule notwithstanding...
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Kiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation here

I don't know if the Nets are tanking, but losing to the Bucks by almost 30pts at home is just intolerable...
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
UniformBomber
Can barely lace up my sneakers

UniformBomber has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
It should be, but with his love affair with Rod Thorn, that is yet to be determined.

Nepotism can only go so far. IMO Frank's method's are either not working or not being listened to by the players.

I get the feeling it's both and if he's lost the players, any Front Office that is actually concerned with winning should know that that's the kiss of death for any coach.

The players look disinterested. Frank makes very questionable in-game decisions, from substitutions to late game fouling. I like the guy, and he probably works as hard as we're told, but at some point, you have to move on when you're not getting results and the players aren't responding. If Frank were to get fired, he'd become an Assistant Coach somewhere else; that should tell you everything you need to know. So why is he Head Coach here? Why are we settling for mediocrity?

If I'm the Nets, I part with him on good terms and then immediately put in a call to Avery Johnson. He's a buzzsaw, yes. But he's also a former player, a winner, and will light a fire under these players' asses, which is exactly what they need -- not to mention the fans will love his enthusiasm.
UniformBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniformBomber
If Frank were to get fired, he'd become an Assistant Coach somewhere else; that should tell you everything you need to know.
i don't think so.
i've read more than one good writer claim that frank would have no problem getting another NBA head coaching job.

and to be fair to frank, there is very little talent on this team by the standards of other teams. we have approximately two players that other teams would actually be enthusiastic about, one star that nobody has wanted for a couple years, a couple rotation players that nobody is excited about and the rest, guys who are castoffs from other teams.

so let's be fair- that's not much to work with.

Quote:
...then immediately put in a call to Avery Johnson. He's a buzzsaw, yes. But he's also a former player, a winner, and will light a fire under these players' asses, which is exactly what they need -- not to mention the fans will love his enthusiasm.
and those same players will get sick and tired of his shrill, obnoxious voice within a year or two and would run him out on a rail just like they did in dallas.

can we just skip all that and hire a jordan or a saunders instead?
Old 03-31-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
UniformBomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
i don't think so.
i've read more than one good writer claim that frank would have no problem getting another NBA head coaching job.

and to be fair to frank, there is very little talent on this team by the standards of other teams. we have approximately two players that other teams would actually be enthusiastic about, one star that nobody has wanted for a couple years, a couple rotation players that nobody is excited about and the rest, guys who are castoffs from other teams.

so let's be fair- that's not much to work with.

and those same players will get sick and tired of his shrill, obnoxious voice within a year or two and would run him out on a rail just like they did in dallas.

can we just skip all that and hire a jordan or a saunders instead?

I wouldn't be so sure based on beat writers or whoever saying he'd land a HC job. It really depends on the openings, but I see him having to take a job as an Assistant.

And you're right, he does have very little talent to work with, but we're also getting beaten by teams with little talent.

I thought it was a rift in management, mainly Cuban and Johnson that led to his departure in Dallas.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniformBomber
I wouldn't be so sure based on beat writers or whoever saying he'd land a HC job. It really depends on the openings, but I see him having to take a job as an Assistant.
well, no offense, but i'll take the opinions of sportwriters i respect over anonymous sports fans. i'm talking d'allessandro, rosen and someone else on the national scene- one of the vets from SI, i think.

frank is very well-respected among his peers. that much is obvious when you hear any other coach or exec talk about him. when these guys have something negative to say, they'll usually just refuse to talk about a coach and keep it behind closed doors.

Quote:
And you're right, he does have very little talent to work with, but we're also getting beaten by teams with little talent.
that's why i'm as upset as i am about the golden state game and the last two games. it's mostly been an anomoly so far this season.

still, i don't think there are many teams in the league with less talent than the nets.

Quote:
I thought it was a rift in management, mainly Cuban and Johnson that led to his departure in Dallas.
most of the players couldn't couldn't stand AJ. that much was known from that team's beat writers and the players themselves.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Is Lawrence Frank on His Way Out?
March 31, 2009, 2:20 pm
After two disappointing–no, devastating–losses, the question arises: Is Lawrence Frank, the Nets’ winningest coach and the Eastern Conference’s longest tenured coach, in trouble? Frank once again apologized for his own effort. “I’m part of the problem”, he said in the post-game. Of course, he is only part of the problem. There’s enough blame to go around. Rod Thorn says that Frank, like the players, will be evaluated at the end of the season. Both Fred Kerber and Dave D’Alessandro report that Brett Yormark would prefer a more marketable coach.
http://www.netsdaily.com/
Nets fan 93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

RecSpecs110 is considered somewhat coolRecSpecs110 is considered somewhat cool

http://mfile.akamai.com/22206/wmv/sn...achine_800.wmv

The Frank/Nets segment starts at 00:23. The guy's voice is so funny.

...And this is before they got rocked by the Bucks.

Last edited by RecSpecs110 : 03-31-2009 at 06:17 PM.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:03 PM   #12
UniformBomber

Well you're right in that it's difficult to evaluate Frank when there's a deficiency of talent on the roster. So what do you go off of? For me, it's several things:
1) Substitution/Playing Time - Too often I've seen players performing well, in rhythm, even hot, only to be subbed out during their rush. I've seen it time and time again with Sean Williams; say what you want about the guy, he obviously has issues, but he has contributed, and just when it looks like he's getting into a grove within a game, he comes out and doesn't return until garbage time. The refusal to play rookies is mind-boggling. Up until this year, we saw rooks get limited action when they could indeed positively contribute. The youngsters need to take their bumps and we need to figure out who's worthy of keeping, and the only way to do that is to let them see the court. CDR is a good example. He comes in when we're down 30, but should be playing more meaningful minutes; he knows the current limitations of his game and doesn't try to push them, and he's unselfish. And then there's the whole Yi vs Anderson situation. I've heard people on here say it has more to do with the powers-that-be determining that, and Frank is just following orders; if that's the case, then the Nets troubles are more deeply rooted than just roster and coaching.
2) In-game decisions - some of what I mentioned above falls under this category. I referred to the end-of game foul up 3 in a previous post. Certain matchups aren't exploited by certain players, or a rotation is misused depending on the opponent. What this boils down to for me, is that Frank is probably a good coach outside of games (e.g. practices, film room, etc), but somewhat inept during games.
3) The 3rd Quarter - I actually called into the Joe and Evan Show on WFAN a couple of weeks ago, asking Evan Roberts (a knowledgeable, diehard Nets fan) about this. He didn't really have an answer. One of his theories is that the Nets don't have the home court advantage of other teams, so unlike other teams that come out of the half fired up at home, the Nets don't, which may contribute to their lackadaisical 3rd Qs. I don't know if I vuy that because this happens on the road too. IMO, eventually you need to look at the coaching with this problem. Maybe other teams are making halftime adjustments that Frank isn't. Maybe Frank doesn't get the players motivated for the second half. I don't know. But what I do know is that more often than not, we're outscored in the 3rd Q.

What about Marc Jackson? He has no coaching experience whatsover, but you can't deny his knowledge of the game, along with his passion. From that standpoint, he could command the locker room's respect. And just think about the tutelage he could provide a young, budding star in Harris. However, he'd probably need a strong staff to insure his lack of experience.

I'm just not too keen on what coaches are or will become available. And I don't know if Nets brass want someone experienced or inexperienced. I don't know fiscally what they want either; maybe they don't want to pay for a proven coach. There are too many variables to figure it out. I'm just hoping that if there is a better coaching option available, the Nets pounce on him.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:11 PM   #13
UniformBomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
most of the players couldn't couldn't stand AJ. that much was known from that team's beat writers and the players themselves.

I wasn't aware of this. Do you know exactly what they didn't like about him? And I don't accept "his voice" as a reasonable answer. If the Nets players can withstand Lopez's ogre voice everyday, they can probably tolerate Johnson's -- at least the two voices would balance each other out haha.

But seriously, I ask because I'm curious. If the players truly disliked him for valid reasons, then that's something to be wary of. Having said that, you can't discount a person learning from their past mistakes. If he's aware of his clash with the players, then maybe he knows he needs to behave and treat them differently. Furthermore, it could have been more on the players too. Wasn't the word that Byron Scott clashed with some players here? That doesn't seem to be too much of problem right now in New Orleans.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:01 PM   #14
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think it may be time for him to go. I have felt that he needed the boot for years now, and never wanted him to get the job in the first place. I also already have my choice for our new coach. I want Brian Shaw to come in and install the triangle goddamit.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:32 PM   #15
gigantes
A piece of fluff

@uniformbomber,
all good points there in post #12. repped.

re: mark jackson,
sorry, but you're asking the wrong guy. jackson is one of the most annoying color men i've ever heard, mainly for his penchant for pointing out the obvious time after time in a particular voice which indicates that he thinks he's saying something deep and insightful. i really can't stand that.

that is not to rule out that jackson might not be an excellent HC.
after all, collins, fratello and brown are all superb color men but have had pretty bumpy coaching careers IMO.

but i would like to see jackson do his due diligence and start as an asst coach. i think that's only fair, given his glaring lack of exp in coaching.

re: AJ,
i don't think his voice was the culprit. more like it added insult to injury.

the players' grapevine said that the guy was an annoying control freak and that's the main reason he alienated so many of them. also that devin harris, despite giving lip-service to johnson, felt extremely stifled by him and was very relieved to get away from him.

i don't know where you've been, dude, but there were a tonne of articles about these issues around and well after the time that harris got traded and AJ got fired. so all i can say is, i hope you were with a hot babe during those months to explain why you never heard about any of this. :P

re: scott clashing with nets players,
the only player i've ever heard that clashed with him was kidd.
kidd was the guy that transformed the franchise and still had status like a god in that 3rd season. so when kidd said that 'it's either me or scott', the writing was on the wall regarding which one of the two any sane GM had to let go.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: