Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 04-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
Rockbttm88
There is no dark side

Rockbttm88 has decent reputationRockbttm88 has decent reputation
Default Riddle me this, Nets fans...

1. Why does the Nets scorekeeper (or whoever) take so long to put points on the board? Sometimes the Nets will score and their points wont show up on the screen until after the next play. Or if they hit a 3-pointer, only two points will be added and after the next play the extra point will be added. This usually prompts Marv's signature sassy tone, as he scowls "The score is eighty-THREE to eighty-two."(see #4 for more on that) No other network is like this, so anyone know whats up?

2. Why is the Izod Center always full of front runners? When we played the Lakers, there were more people cheering for them than for the Nets. Actually, it sounded like NO ONE was cheering for the Nets. I felt like I was watching a game from the Staples Center. Same thing happens when any other hot sh*t team rolls into town. That's gotta be pretty disheartening to our boys.

3. Does Nancy Newman ever brush her hair? No. The answer is no.

4. Why do Marv Albert and Mike Fratello still work together? These men clearly do not enjoy each other's company. The tension between them is palpable. They both seem to come to life when you put them on another network and stick Reggie Miller between them, but when left alone they're just two old men bickering over meaningless stats and other random nonsense. (and you cant tell me its humor theyre going for. if you think its funny listening to them, then you're probably due back at the nursing home right now).

5. Why are the Nets not lowering ticket prices? "Special discount nights" for games when we're playing the sh*ttiest teams in the league is not gonna cut it. No matter what team we play, there are gonna be loads of empty seats. It's simple math: You're franchise is losing money. Wouldn't it be better to make a small profit than to lose money? Plus the economy is hurting bad and NJ has been hit as hard as anywhere, so why not give the fans a break?

6. Why does Devin Harris still chuck up 3-pointers within the first 5 seconds of the shot clock? Even if the Nets are winning, he still does it. He doesn't seem patient enough to wait for his teammates to catch up and insists on throwing up low-percentage outside shots, which almost always results in a blown possession. This is something he's been doing all season long (in pre-season too) and Lawrence Frank has had ample time to correct this. So were 75 games into the season now... why is this still going on?

These are just things I've been noticing all season and I was in a rambling mood today. They're numbered, in case you wanna refer to a specific question.

Edit: Didn't realize it at first, but it's also my 100th post
Rockbttm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
UniformBomber
Can barely lace up my sneakers

UniformBomber has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Riddle me this, Nets fans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbttm88
2. Why is the Izod Center always full of front runners? When we played the Lakers, there were more people cheering for them than for the Nets. Actually, it sounded like NO ONE was cheering for the Nets. I felt like I was watching a game from the Staples Center. Same thing happens when any other hot sh*t team rolls into town. That's gotta be pretty disheartening to our boys.

The best thing that can happen for the Nets is that they move to Brooklyn. The fan base there will be stronger because they'll be centralized to a specific area. And I think the arena is/was supposed to be a little bit smaller, so the seats should be filled, which leads to a louder (more people + compact) arena and therefore more intense. Moving to Newark won't be much different than East Rutherford. It really is embarrassing though how horrible the Nets home arena and fans are.
UniformBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

great post. repped. and congrats.
Quote:
4. Why do Marv Albert and Mike Fratello still work together? These men clearly do not enjoy each other's company. The tension between them is palpable. They both seem to come to life when you put them on another network and stick Reggie Miller between them, but when left alone they're just two old men bickering over meaningless stats and other random nonsense. (and you cant tell me its humor theyre going for. if you think its funny listening to them, then you're probably due back at the nursing home right now).
i have to disagree. they're old friends who are their best when they're gently bantering with each other. doesn't keep me from learning a lot from fratello or appreciating the excitement in the game when albert turns it on.

to me, they're one of the two best crews along with collins and whoever he's working with. usually harlan.
btw, i do agree that miller is an excellent fit with albert and fratello.

Quote:
6. Why does Devin Harris still chuck up 3-pointers within the first 5 seconds of the shot clock? Even if the Nets are winning, he still does it. He doesn't seem patient enough to wait for his teammates to catch up and insists on throwing up low-percentage outside shots, which almost always results in a blown possession. This is something he's been doing all season long (in pre-season too) and Lawrence Frank has had ample time to correct this. So were 75 games into the season now... why is this still going on?
i agree, it's really annoying.

now that we've all learned what a great scorer harris is, he really needs to work on his approach to the game IMO. his defense is terrible and mentally he's not in charge of his team's offense the way a good PG needs to be.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

MTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
1. Why does the Nets scorekeeper (or whoever) take so long to put points on the board? Sometimes the Nets will score and their points wont show up on the screen until after the next play. Or if they hit a 3-pointer, only two points will be added and after the next play the extra point will be added. This usually prompts Marv's signature sassy tone, as he scowls "The score is eighty-THREE to eighty-two."(see #4 for more on that) No other network is like this, so anyone know whats up?

I see this too. Its pretty funny if you ask me. Marv Albert sometimes even thinks the score is what it says. Also the Yes Network ALWAYS have problems with there scoreboard. It just freezes up and then they switch to there backup. Again its pretty funny. But Yes Network is pretty reliable other then those 2 problems. They're a great crew and we should be thankful, especially cause we dont have biased announcers (see Blazers, Cavs, Celtics announcers).

Thats why were are "moving" to Brooklyn. The place is a ghost town. I wish we can clone ourselves(all the Nets fans on this forum) and then we all by season tickets. The place will be packed and it will be the loudest in the NBA .

3. Does Nancy Newman ever brush her hair? No. The answer is no.

Thats why she works in the studio. If Nancy did courtside interviews, I'd go crazy. She also knows nothing about basketball. Ive heard so many errors from her.
Michelle Beadle>>>Nancy Newman

Lol there just joking. Id be extremely surprised if they really hate each other. They've been working together since I can remember. The first basketball game I ever watched were those 2 calling a Bulls game.

5. Why are the Nets not lowering ticket prices? "Special discount nights" for games when we're playing the sh*ttiest teams in the league is not gonna cut it. No matter what team we play, there are gonna be loads of empty seats. It's simple math: You're franchise is losing money. Wouldn't it be better to make a small profit than to lose money? Plus the economy is hurting bad and NJ has been hit as hard as anywhere, so why not give the fans a break?

I think the Nets organization pretty much gave up on the IZod center.

Frank gives Devin to much freedom imo. Hes taking full advantage over it. Coming from Dallas where he got absolutely NO freedom from Avery Johnson, Im not surprised. Hes still learning how to lead a team so Im not extremely angry at this. VC does this a lot to and when both of them do it, its probably a blow out.

Good job on 100 posts btw
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
BrooklynNets

BrooklynNets has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Edit: Didn't realize it at first, but it's also my 100th post

2) I don't know but it's horrible. Nets fans just seem to have no life. I don't enjoy going to Izod. It is not just the Arena but also the entire presentation of the game. Most teams regardless of sport have a buzz and a sense of history. The Nets just give off this vibe that is like: wow, we are shocked you even bothered to find your way to the meadowlands. I think Brooklyn is the best answer, it would be a lot more fun.

4) No idea. I can't stand Marv Albert to begin with. I will never understand why YES decided to replace the younger, more exuberant Eagle with Albert. I don't find entertaining to listen to and he just isn't very crisp anymore in his play-by-play. The czar is good but a little prickly- it's hard for the public to tell if he is kidding or not around Marv. I prefer Spanarkel and Marc Jackson.

6) I think instead of Nets fans dumping on L-Frank maybe it is time to direct some of that ire at Harris. It's clear that the kid has let the All-Star appearance go to his head. It is also clear that he was not serious about winning this season. At first maybe but as his injuries have piled up I think he has grown angrier that he doesn't have more slashers to help him out. Hopefully he will recommit himself to being an elite defensive presence and continue to refine his game. He is too smart and talented for these problems to persist.

Congrats on 100 posts!
BrooklynNets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
UniformBomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
i agree, it's really annoying.

now that we've all learned what a great scorer harris is, he really needs to work on his approach to the game IMO. his defense is terrible and mentally he's not in charge of his team's offense the way a good PG needs to be.

Yeah, I find myself questioning Harris' character more and more.

I think it all started when he and Carter were benched in that OKC Thunder blowout. When asked about how he'll react after being pulled from the game, Carter responded the way a mature, team-first guy should respond (and I'm not even a VC-as-a-player-for-the-Nets supporter), saying something to the effect of, "I should have been benched and hopefully this will serve as a wake-up call for me...I need to play better than this performance." When Harris was asked the same question, his response was along the lines of, "I'm not sure how I'll react, we'll see what happens from here..."

He seems kinda overly arrogant and too confident in his outside shooting abilities, which have been anything but consistent. A PG needs to put the good of the team above everything else. I give Harris the benefit of the doubt though because he's still very young and this is the first team of which he's had to be the full-time general.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
UniformBomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynNets
2) I don't know but it's horrible. Nets fans just seem to have no life. I don't enjoy going to Izod. It is not just the Arena but also the entire presentation of the game. Most teams regardless of sport have a buzz and a sense of history. The Nets just give off this vibe that is like: wow, we are shocked you even bothered to find your way to the meadowlands. I think Brooklyn is the best answer, it would be a lot more fun.

Perhaps the most irritating thing about Izod games - from a television standpoint - is how lackluster and quiet the crowd/arena is and how poorly lit it is. You're exactly right in saying there's no buzz, unlike other teams around the league.

Watch other games on TV. The presentation is much brighter and the arenas are much louder. I can't wait for the Nets to move (and I live 10 mins away from the Meadowlands) because it'll be for the better of the franchise.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
BrooklynNets

BrooklynNets has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniformBomber
Perhaps the most irritating thing about Izod games - from a television standpoint - is how lackluster and quiet the crowd/arena is and how poorly lit it is. You're exactly right in saying there's no buzz, unlike other teams around the league.

Watch other games on TV. The presentation is much brighter and the arenas are much louder. I can't wait for the Nets to move (and I live 10 mins away from the Meadowlands) because it'll be for the better of the franchise.

Yeah that is definitely part of the problem. The whole presentation seems dated from arena to the fan entertainment. Its not fun to be there or watch it on TV (well I mean it is always fun to watch the game). The whole experience seems so generic to me- a failed copy of what other teams are doing. I don't get any sense of Nets history or feel that there is something uniquely Netlike about the fan base. You get that in other cities and it would really help counteract negativity towards the team's stalled move.

I wish the Nets had a really good entertainment exec that would do for the game presentation what Yormark has done for the business side. You can increase turnout by making the game seem more interesting. Look at the Mets: they played at Shea which was never considered a nice ballpark. Yet they created the home-run apple and "Meet the Mets", "Ya gotta believe" and black cats. People don't go just for the baseball, they go because they feel like they belong in a special history. The Nets have nothing close to that.
BrooklynNets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

JerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat coolJerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat cool

[quote=Rockbttm88]

QUOTE]

I was raised in jersey and love NY and Jersey both, but i have to say that Jersey and Ny has some tough fans...seems to me that they are filled with nuthing but haters. When you have a strong nucleus of support behind you then it makes you play with more confidence...thats with anything in life. Its not cool to go to a Nets game and cheer for the other team...i can understand if you like and support other players but if your a nets fan and your at the IZOD center you should cheer for the NETS. To do other wise is blatant disrespect and really hurts the feeling of these players...put your self in their shoes. I just think there is no compassion anymore. Everyone is just straight up A HOLES, no home training. No respect. But hey i guess there are only a select few of us out there.
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: