Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-31-2009, 10:50 PM   #16
LA_Showtime
Call me the Mamba

LA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Who else is frustrated with this Lakers team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhizard
Cleveland: 61-13
L.A. Lakers: 58-16
Orlando: 55-18
Boston: 56-19

After these last two losses, Lakers can not afford to "tank" the rest of the season and risk falling behind Orlando or the Celtics. Lakers were swept by Orlando in the regular season - we will need homecourt advantage against them, and lets not underestimate HCA against the Celtics should they make the finals. Losing all 4 games against non-playoff teams as you say would be very dangerous for us.

We need to try and pull it together before the season is over, right the ship and begin playing well (with passion) and build some momentum into the post season.

Not that we have to exhaust ourselves and push our starters minutes the rest of the season, but we can't coast our way these remaining games.

Coast? No. Give the starters a day off against the Bucks? I think so. Rest our guys and get their minutes down to 30-37? Yes.

Maybe part of the problem is that our guys have played so many minutes. You can't expect them to want to play D when they're out there on the court for so long. I don't know if it will help, but I want Phil to trust our bench and give them more minutes.
LA_Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:52 PM   #17
djwhizard
drum & bass!

djwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Lamar Odom move back to the bench. He's played great basketball since being inserted for Drew, but I want him to stabilize our bench. While Josh Powell isn't an ideal starter, he's still a solid player.

BTW now that I've had a full season to compare Powell to Ronny I would choose Ronny. Powell had a good run, but he's a poor finisher and has a low basketball IQ. Ronny energized our team, and I think that's one of the problems of our bench this year. They don't seem to enjoy playing together. I want them to be energized like they were earlier in the season, when Ariza was so pumped up he knocked over Sasha (haha).

Couldn't agree more on the Powell/Turiaf comments. I think we all fell in love with Powell's upside a little too early - and he didn't turn out to live up to the hype. Now I know why he isn't as good of a finisher, because he has clumsy hands and loses the ball too easily - this is evidenced by dropped passes and losing his handle with contact. He also doesn't bring the energy and spirit that Ronni had, and Ronni made better decisions than Powell. I still like Powell a whole lot, but I am more realistic now about what he can deliver on a reliable basis for the Lakers.

So, pretty much what LA_Showtime said, lol.
djwhizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #18
djwhizard
drum & bass!

djwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Coast? No. Give the starters a day off against the Bucks? I think so. Rest our guys and get their minutes down to 30-37? Yes.

Maybe part of the problem is that our guys have played so many minutes. You can't expect them to want to play D when they're out there on the court for so long. I don't know if it will help, but I want Phil to trust our bench and give them more minutes.

Yes, I agree with reducing the minutes and giving the starters more rest, but we can't afford to give away games anymore. Also, they haven't played really great defense since the beginning of the year (with the exception of a game here or there), so I can't say that too many minutes is the reason for their defensive lapses.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:59 PM   #19
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I guess we just got to keep ahead of the Celts and Magic....

But Im very very very disappointed right now. They finished the season strong last season to take first....right now they are playing like sh*t. And that's scary....But I hope they are just coasting and gearing up for the playoffs....because if they go in like this we might be out in the first or second round for damn sure.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:02 PM   #20
LA_Showtime
Call me the Mamba

LA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisoner
I guess we just got to keep ahead of the Celts and Magic....

But Im very very very disappointed right now. They finished the season strong last season to take first....right now they are playing like sh*t. And that's scary....But I hope they are just coasting and gearing up for the playoffs....because if they go in like this we might be out in the first or second round for damn sure.

I've thought about it and I wonder if Kobe realizes the Lakers are walking a fine line and that's why he's been shooting so poorly over the last 10-12 games. Kobe's always lead by example and I wonder if he's tried to take the Lakers on his back and found out that he just can't do it as easily anymore...

^^^^
I'm not saying that's what is happening, but it's an idea to consider
Old 03-31-2009, 11:04 PM   #21
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I've thought about it and I wonder if Kobe realizes the Lakers are walking a fine line and that's why he's been shooting so poorly over the last 10-12 games. Kobe's always lead by example and I wonder if he's tried to take the Lakers on his back and found out that he just can't do it as easily anymore...

^^^^
I'm not saying that's what is happening, but it's an idea to consider

I think Kobe is tired really. Maybe we should rest him?
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:05 PM   #22
LA_Showtime
Call me the Mamba

Quote:

That's why I think giving Kobe and Gasol the day off tomorrow would be a good idea. But it would it be worth it if we ended up losing?
Old 03-31-2009, 11:05 PM   #23
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

magic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

"tank" was probably not the right word, besides i dont think we'd lose all 4 games against those teams even if the starters play less than 30 mins :)

and i know what happened last year, i do think they'll be able to handle the pressure on the other teams' court this time.

maybe we should just see what happens after the next 3 ames first :)
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:07 PM   #24
djwhizard
drum & bass!

Quote:

Kobe is tired and banged up. He is trying to carry the team on his back it seems, or at the very least shoot his way out of his current slump. I would like to see him get a little more rest in time for the playoffs. That will give the team more chance to gel with each other as well without Kobe taking over the game.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:12 PM   #25
djwhizard
drum & bass!

Quote:
That's why I think giving Kobe and Gasol the day off tomorrow would be a good idea. But it would it be worth it if we ended up losing?

I would like to give them the day off tomorrow too, but no - it would not be worth it if they end up losing.... (PS - we haven't lost three straight all season long, and even since Pau joined the team - not the time to do it now)
Old 04-01-2009, 01:03 AM   #26
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Said it in other threads...if the defense isn't near the quailty of cavs and celtics then this team no matter how talented will lose to the Cavs or Celtics in the finals...getting through the west is easier as no team out west plays the lockdown D the two main east powerhouses do.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:10 AM   #27
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man

Frank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat cool

I don't have a problem with this team coasting towards the end, but I am disturbed to see that Pau's been racking up the minutes lately. I mean... 45 minutes tonight, over 40 for the past 4 games, 39/game for the past 2 months--that's way too much for my taste.

You can't really say Phil's saving this team for the playoffs if he's been putting his 2nd best player out there to get such extended burn. I know he doesn't have a lot of alternatives (Mbenga is awful and Powell's undersized), but still.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:34 AM   #28
Allstar24
NBA lottery pick

Allstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation here

I think the biggest problem is the Lakers have been there, done that last year. They look impatient, as if they can't wait for the regular season to be over. Its like when they had the Christmas game vs the Celtics coming up...they went through a mini-slump (losing back to back games) because they were already looking forward to the Celtics game. So this might be just that, they're already looking toward the post season and can't seem to focus on these last few regular season games. Bad attitude to have but I'll take it, as long as they show up in the playoffs.

But I don't think they are in a position to be coasting yet...they still have to maintain a better record than Boston/Orlando.
Allstar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:21 AM   #29
AJ2k8
Banned

AJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Apparently Jordan was in the Lakers lockeroom before the game, he must've asked a favor from P-Jax

Seriously though i think this team is just going through a little slump and honestly I'm quite happy it's now and not in the playoffs
AJ2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:13 AM   #30
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

LA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation here

Lakers will be ok not worried at all. Plus we have the best players in the world on this TEAM how can we not win it all
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: