Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 04-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
statman32
7-time NBA All-Star

Default *Rumor* Tim Floyd to be hired as head coach of the University of Arizona soon

News is breaking on Arizona forums. Hes in Tucson as we speak. I dont know what to think but outside of Pitino, I think Floyd is on the same level as guys like Few/Capel. He better be bringing some of his recruits.
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Default Re: *Rumor* Tim Floyd to be hired as head coach of the University of Arizona soon

That's the one thing Floyd has on the other two. Recruiting. He's a good coach too. Few and Capel are too however, so recruiting the LA area was probably big for Arizona.

Arizona are one of those programs run like a professional team and he fits the bill for obvious reasons.

Isn't he a little fishy though?
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
DeuceWallaces
NBA Legend

Default Re: *Rumor* Tim Floyd to be hired as head coach of the University of Arizona soon

Has he had success anywhere? Sweet 16 with OJ is his claim to fame?
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
statman32
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Has he had success anywhere? Sweet 16 with OJ is his claim to fame?
Coached Iowa St before he got the Bulls job. Before that he was at Idaho and New Orleans.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
DeuceWallaces
NBA Legend

OK...and answer my question?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Did he coach the Iowa St team that was upset in the first round as a #2 seed? lol
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Good thing Renardo Sidney didn't sign. Can't say the same for Noel Johnson.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
statman32
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Went to 2 NCAA tournaments and 3 N.I.Ts in 5 years at New Orleans.

He had more success at Iowa St. Was runner up for National Coach of the Year there. Went to the Sweet 16 once and posted 3 consecutive 20 win seasons and NCAA tournament appearances. Coached guys like Fizer/Cato/Hoiberg there.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9407198/Sources:-USC's-Floyd-visiting-with-Arizona-AD
Quote:
Arizona has focused its search on USC coach Tim Floyd, according to sources to the situation.

Multiple sources confirmed to FOXSports.com that Floyd was in Tucson to meet with Arizona athletic director Jim Livengood on Wednesday afternoon.

Floyd, 55, has spent the last four seasons at USC and is 85-50 in his tenure in Southern California. He led the Trojans to three NCAA tournament appearances — including a Sweet 16 appearance in 2007.

Floyd also coached in the NBA with the Chicago Bulls in 1999-2002 and the New Orleans Hornets in 2004.

He was also the head coach in college with Iowa State, New Orleans and Idaho.

Floyd would give stability to a program that desperately needs it. Hall of Fame coach Lute Olson retired just prior to the start of the season after suffering a stroke. Arizona advanced to the Sweet 16 with interim coach Russ Pennell and associate head coach Mike Dunlap at the helm.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
DeuceWallaces
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman32
Went to 2 NCAA tournaments and 3 N.I.Ts in 5 years at New Orleans.

He had more success at Iowa St. Was runner up for National Coach of the Year there. Went to the Sweet 16 once and posted 3 consecutive 20 win seasons and NCAA tournament appearances. Coached guys like Fizer/Cato/Hoiberg there.

Well that sucks. I was expecting a lot more from a program like Arizona. Pitino, Wright, the guy from Mizzou, someone big.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
statman32
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Did he coach the Iowa St team that was upset in the first round as a #2 seed? lol
No that was Eustachy.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
Lone Laker
Serious playground baller

Eustachy was a party animal.
Lone Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:01 AM   #13
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Some Arizona sources tell me it's worth noting that the Phoenix radio station that reports Tim Floyd is getting hired by Arizona also reported Rick Pitino and Jeff Capel would also get the same job.

Quote:
It's worth noting that USC commit Solomon Hill originally committed to Arizona but changed his mind when Lute Olson retired. Would Hill switch back to the Wildcats if Tim Floyd is named Arizona coach? And how would this affect Renardo Sidney?

http://insidesocal.com/usc/

If this happens, USC Basketball will probably be back to medicority
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:58 AM   #14
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
You're already on the internet. You could've found these things out for yourself in, like, 30 seconds.

He's taken a pair of teams not noted for big-time basketball success to the Sweet 16 and has established himself as a top-notch recruiter in recent years. I will admit that this hire caught me off-guard, but it's not a bad one by any stretch (even if I think Tim Floyd is a douche).
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #15
DeuceWallaces
NBA Legend

Hey tough guy, I could just continue my discussion and get it from them. I already saw he took a team to the Sweet 16. I figured that couldn't be it.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: