Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 04-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #31
ThaKing
Decent playground baller

Default Re: *Rumor* Tim Floyd to be hired as head coach of the University of Arizona soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
I knew Arizona was going to be in for a rather rude awakening with their coaching search. This is not an elite program. It was a cult-of-personality program that was driven by Olson. There is a very specific, but very big difference. It's just another program now.

It isn't a destination program for top-flight coaches.

Its a better job than Illinois is.
ThaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #32
statman32
7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: *Rumor* Tim Floyd to be hired as head coach of the University of Arizona soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
I knew Arizona was going to be in for a rather rude awakening with their coaching search. This is not an elite program. It was a cult-of-personality program that was driven by Olson. There is a very specific, but very big difference. It's just another program now.

It isn't a destination program for top-flight coaches.
The 2nd best job out west and still one of the top teams every year when it comes to revenue. Choke on a dick.

Rewinds to a week ago.

Quote:
That's more or less what I said. Plenty of elite programs- Kansas, UNC/Duke, UConn, Arizona, etc- have to go outside of their state for a vast majority of their recruits because few top recruits come from those states.

***** just typing to type I guess.
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #33
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

hahahahahaha
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #34
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaKing
Its a better job than Illinois is.
What does that have to do with anything in this thread?

But since you brought it up for absolutely no reason, Illinois, for the record, has a long-term history of success that isn't endemic to one coach within the last 20 years. It has (more or less) consistently been a strong program throughout the history of college basketball, at times (late '40s-early '50s, mid-late 80's, 98-06) a fairly elite one. It's because of things endemic to the program itself- location/proximity to elite talent, fanbase, etc- and not the work of one coach in building the program out of nothing.

It also has one of the strongest local talent bases in the entire nation to recruit and plays in a slightly higher-profile conference. I could absolutely make the argument that Illinois is a better job than Arizona, if we were willing to pay top-dollar or something close to it (which I have no idea if 'Zona is going to).

Last edited by TheGame414 : 04-04-2009 at 12:45 AM.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:57 PM   #35
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman32
The 2nd best job out west and still one of the top teams every year when it comes to revenue. Choke on a dick.
Grow up. I didn't insult you. I didn't even insult your favorite team.

Quote:
Rewinds to a week ago.

***** just typing to type I guess.
Lute Olson is no longer the coach, and for the purposes of the statement I was making it was one and the same (the point being that they mostly have to go out of state to recruit). As far as contradictions go- and I admit it was one- it's an extremely minor one.

Yes, they played at an elite level for 15 years or so under Olson, but it was a cult-of-personality program. He was the driving force behind it, as opposed to there being a long-standing infrastructure and mindset of high-level success. That's why I said it's a very specific difference. I admit I overstated it in saying it's also a "very big" difference; as long as that coach is there, there really isn't one. It remains to be seen if it can be rebuilt. There's a difference between rebuilding Indiana and rebuilding Arizona.

Would you say Florida State football is still an elite program? As Bowden has fallen into senility, it's been just another program for eight years now. Arizona's been just another program since 2005. (Yes, so has Illinois if you want to engage in ad hominem attacks that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.)

As far as it being the second-best job out West: is it? Why didn't Tim Floyd leave USC for Arizona?

Again: Arizona does not have long-standing basketball pedigree to the point where it's obvious it will stand on its own and attract a top coach- and continue to attract top talent- post-Lute Olson.

Last edited by TheGame414 : 04-04-2009 at 12:02 AM.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: