Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 04-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #31
bladefd
Good college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: AI

Iverson says he doesn't want to come off the bench and he would rather retire so I have to believe him there. I personally would not start Iverson, but we probably would have to if we get him..

-To be honest, Iverson/Kobe/Gasol cannot all co-exist together. Lets just look at the number of shots people take. Kobe obviously takes 19-20 shots a game. Gasol takes about 14-15. That is 33-34 right there. Then you add in Bynum's 10 shots a game with Ariza/Sasha/Fisher/Farmar's ~30 shots combined.. That is just ~75 shots from Kobe/Gasol/Bynum/Ariza/Sasha/Farmar/Fisher alone. How many shots do you expect AI to get without taking shots away from the other guys???

-What about playing time? It would take minutes away from Fisher/Farmar/Sasha and perhaps even Kobe (I don't mind this). Is AI really worth it in the end? Benching AI is troublesome too because he EXPECTS to get playing time as a superstar. You would have to give AI a minimum of 30 minutes of playing time per game.

-Somebody mentioned that A.I could play SG, but AI is not big or strong enough to guard MOST of the other SGs in the league. Do you REALLY want AI to be playing SG with somebody like Fisher/Farmar in the back-court? You would not be able to play Fisher or Farmar alongside AI against most nba teams because of AI's size/length. AI is not a true PG so you are in a situation where you have to either force him into the system even though he doesn't fit; Fortunately, this is not a problem in triangle because Fisher is not a true PG either. Unfortunately, I still do not believe that AI could play SG alongside Fisher/Farmar. One of those 2 will have to be taken out of the picture pretty much. This goes back to my previous question: 30 MPG for AI then you had 18 left for other PG..

-What about Kobe's ego and AI's ego? Can it work together in the locker-room? The team seems to be going pretty smoothly currently without any locker-room problems that we know of. Getting AI could POSSIBLY change that. Is that worth the risk of getting AI?

This raises more questions than answers. To be honest, I would rather give Odom the full MLE if he takes it than AI...

Last edited by bladefd : 04-04-2009 at 01:29 PM.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #32
djwhizard
drum & bass!

djwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected posterdjwhizard is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
Iverson says he doesn't want to come off the bench and he would rather retire so I have to believe him there. I personally would not start Iverson, but we probably would have to if we get him..

-To be honest, Iverson/Kobe/Gasol cannot all co-exist together. Lets just look at the number of shots people take. Kobe obviously takes 19-20 shots a game. Gasol takes about 14-15. That is 33-34 right there. Then you add in Bynum's 10 shots a game with Ariza/Sasha/Fisher/Farmar's ~30 shots combined.. That is just ~75 shots from Kobe/Gasol/Bynum/Ariza/Sasha/Farmar/Fisher alone. How many shots do you expect AI to get without taking shots away from the other guys???

-What about playing time? It would take minutes away from Fisher/Farmar/Sasha and perhaps even Kobe (I don't mind this). Is AI really worth it in the end? Benching AI is troublesome too because he EXPECTS to get playing time as a superstar. You would have to give AI a minimum of 30 minutes of playing time per game.

-Somebody mentioned that A.I could play SG, but AI is not big or strong enough to guard MOST of the other SGs in the league. Do you REALLY want AI to be playing SG with somebody like Fisher/Farmar in the back-court? You would not be able to play Fisher or Farmar alongside AI against most nba teams because of AI's size/length. AI is not a true PG so you are in a situation where you have to either force him into the system even though he doesn't fit; Fortunately, this is not a problem in triangle because Fisher is not a true PG either. Unfortunately, I still do not believe that AI could play SG alongside Fisher/Farmar. One of those 2 will have to be taken out of the picture pretty much. This goes back to my previous question: 30 MPG for AI then you had 18 left for other PG..

-What about Kobe's ego and AI's ego? Can it work together in the locker-room? The team seems to be going pretty smoothly currently without any locker-room problems that we know of. Getting AI could POSSIBLY change that. Is that worth the risk of getting AI?

This raises more questions than answers. To be honest, I would rather give Odom the full MLE if he takes it than AI...

Broken down perfectly, agree 100%

Like SocalMike said, Billups is the guard I would drool over getting on this team (not to mention Chris Paul) - but that doesn't have any shot of happening.
djwhizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #33
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
actually i'm still on the fence..my first reaction would to say "no" but there is something intriging about the idea...
like i said in my OP i think some of the baggage iverson carries is not of his own making i think it's media generated.. yes he did make some mistakes when he was younger... so have other players, some who are on the lakers.

but still i sit on the fence on this subject...

so you think he's good in the locker room? as a leader? as someone who can follow?

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #34
SoCalMike

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhizard
Broken down perfectly, agree 100%

+1

Old 04-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #35
AJ2k8
Banned

AJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Why try to fix something that isn't broken
AJ2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #36
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ2k8
Why try to fix something that isn't broken
other than kobe and fish you don't think the lakers gaurd position is broken?

sasha
farmar
sun yue
brown
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #37
bladefd
Good college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
other than kobe and fish you don't think the lakers gaurd position is broken?

sasha
farmar
sun yue
brown

But is AI the correct answer? Are we willing to let Odom go for AI? There is no way the front office will be willing to keep Odom and also get AI with Bynum's contract kicking in next season.

The Lakers made their choice at the guard position by giving Sasha and Farmar their contracts. They also plan on moving Farmar to starter position once Fisher retires. You are correct that Farmar/Sasha have not played well this season; they need to pick it up a notch to how they were last season (It's not like they forgot how to play basketball like they did last season: it is all about mentality and how they approach the game.. hopefully it will change). Anyways, we will probably need some veteran that can either be a backup PG or somebody like Fisher that can take the starting position in the near future. The question then becomes: How does AI compare to Fisher? Would AI be willing to take the role of Fisher and sacrifice his scoring, minutes and superstar status? AI has never played in a Fisher-like role before. The closest he has come is this season with Detroit and his response to that was that he would rather retire than come off the bench.. Do we really want that kind of player in our locker-room to be one of our leaders on the team?

Last edited by bladefd : 04-04-2009 at 08:06 PM.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #38
Mgamer20o0
Great young streetballer

Mgamer20o0 has decent reputationMgamer20o0 has decent reputation

while i would love to see it. who wouldnt want great stars on the team i dont think it would work. i think he would do better in the 2nd unit. someone who can score when pau and kobe are out but he wont take that roll. we already need to get pau more looks a night. you can only have so many scorers on the floor at once. i dont know at this point in time i think save the money vs spending on him.

Quote:
I would rather give Odom the full MLE if he takes it than AI...
unless i am wrong odom doesnt count against the MLE since he is already on our team. thats for new players coming to the team.
Mgamer20o0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:12 AM   #39
magiŠ
Sai ello to the ba guy

magiŠ is considered somewhat coolmagiŠ is considered somewhat cool

If Iverson comes to LA for MLE, he won't be starting over Fish.
He will be faciliating for our second unit.

C: Bynum
PF: Gasol
SF: Ariza
SG: Bryant
PG: Fisher

Bench: Odom, Powell, Walton, Sasha and Iverson
That would be a killer team, IMO. If AI buys into his role. We'd have another perimeter player who can set up players.
magiŠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:19 AM   #40
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
actually i'm still on the fence..my first reaction would to say "no" but there is something intriging about the idea...
like i said in my OP i think some of the baggage iverson carries is not of his own making i think it's media generated.. yes he did make some mistakes when he was younger... so have other players, some who are on the lakers.

but still i sit on the fence on this subject...

Not lamar.

haha
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:51 AM   #41
momo
Value Ape.

momo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I love AI, but honestly I would really have to think about this for a while. It is a tough one, and as people have pointed out, the GP/Malone memory exists. Rodaman too for that matter. I feel protective of our thing
momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:45 AM   #42
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The media would have a field day with this one.

iverson does not fit any system where he has to be a role player. Just don't see how it can work honestly. He has never been a guy who can get a good amount of points without a good amount of shots.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #43
SoCalMike

Its nice not having the Lakers be the center of drama these days.... I'd prefer it to stay that way.

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: