Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
boostermoose
Kids at the park dunk on me

boostermoose has an OK reputation so far
Default Would Marion agree to resign for a one year deal?

Lets say this win streak gets Marion excited enough to try out Toronto a little bit longer. BC gives him a fairly hefty one year deal, then in 2010 if raps are doing poorly still then Marion can leave and Raps will have that cap space for the big FA market that year. Or maybe things work out raps do well and make the playoffs next year and he resigns again.
boostermoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Would Marion agree to resign for a one year deal?

Not an Economics expert but with the whole economy issue, the idea is floating around that perhaps some FA's will take less money than they would have previously demanded. However, as far as length, again due to the uncertain economic future, I would think all the FA's would want the longest, most profitable deal possible while they can. Only a complete dumbass for an agent would allow Marion to sign for 1 year (unless it was for a gigantic sum).
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
Not an Economics expert but with the whole economy issue, the idea is floating around that perhaps some FA's will take less money than they would have previously demanded. However, as far as length, again due to the uncertain economic future, I would think all the FA's would want the longest, most profitable deal possible while they can. Only a complete dumbass for an agent would allow Marion to sign for 1 year (unless it was for a gigantic sum).

It's not that players will TAKE less money, it's that GMs and owners won't give them more money...especially with the Cap expecting to take a dive next year. I've read some talk that Marion might be available for the MLE.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

There is a better chance of me winning the lottery then Marion taking a 1 year deal.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
antonaki1
Serious playground baller

antonaki1 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
There is a better chance of me winning the lottery then Marion taking a 1 year deal.
On the other hand, should the economy improve significantly in the next year, a player may be able to get a more lucrative long term deal at that time than they could now. Hard to say fore sure how it all plays out.
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Doubt it. Especially how during Marion's tenure in Phx he always talked about not feeling wanted or appreciated. He'd probably be insulted by a one year offer.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
It's not that players will TAKE less money, it's that GMs and owners won't give them more money...especially with the Cap expecting to take a dive next year. I've read some talk that Marion might be available for the MLE.

Good catch, that's phrased much better. Not many teams IIRC are going to be players in this summer's FA market as well so hopefully a tier 2/3 free agent can be had on the cheap.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:45 PM   #8
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

A.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputation

I'm hoping we re-sign him for 3-4 years, at under $8 milli per.

Frankly I'll just be happy if he re-signs at all, so long as we don't overpay.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:58 PM   #9
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M.G.
I'm hoping we re-sign him for 3-4 years, at under $8 milli per.

Frankly I'll just be happy if he re-signs at all, so long as we don't overpay.
I think that a 4 year 32 mill deal would be overpaying. If we were gonna give him that kind of money (depending on his demand around the league), i'd want two years at most.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

I'll be shocked if anybody gets Marion for under 10 million per season.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #11
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

Yeah I can't see him settling for less than that. I think 8M would be an alright price for him. He still does a lot of things above average for a player at that position, such as running the floor and finishing the break and rebounding especially. I would welcome him back for 8-10, even though I would rather give Ben Gordon that kind of money instead.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:06 AM   #12
Tool
Ball til I fall

Tool is considered somewhat coolTool is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
Yeah I can't see him settling for less than that. I think 8M would be an alright price for him. He still does a lot of things above average for a player at that position, such as running the floor and finishing the break and rebounding especially. I would welcome him back for 8-10, even though I would rather give Ben Gordon that kind of money instead.

I'm sorry but theres no chance in hell our team will get better defensively with Ben Gordon playing beside Jose Calderon. At least Parker d's up Wade and trys to guard him.
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:11 AM   #13
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool
I'm sorry but theres no chance in hell our team will get better defensively with Ben Gordon playing beside Jose Calderon. At least Parker d's up Wade and trys to guard him.

I agree with this Tool
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #14
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
I agree with this Tool
The same D-Wade that dropped 29, 40, and 42 on us this season?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
I highly highly doubt that. As has been mentioned before, with the economy the way it is plus the salary cap concerns for the new collective bargaining agreement, teams are gonna think twice before offering someone a 10+ million dollar multi year contract. I'm doubting that anyone will be willing to jeopardize that kind of cap space for Shawn Marion.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: