Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #16
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Would Marion agree to resign for a one year deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
The same D-Wade that dropped 29, 40, and 42 on us this season?

Yeah that D-Wade . If we picked up Gordon we would be the most dangerous perimeter threat in the league. It would open the paint right up for Bosh having Jose, Gordon, Parker, Kapono and Bargnani all creeping around 3 point territory (All 40% 3PT Shooters). We aren't that good defensively as it is and we might as well get another 20ppg scorer in the backcourt to outscore the other team. It would be a really exciting team to watch and I think they would be pretty competitive. Gordon can still play decent defense and gets in the passing lanes and he scores another 10ppg over Parker in the backcourt so it's a definite upgrade.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #17
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
The same D-Wade that dropped 29, 40, and 42 on us this season?

I wasn't agreeing with the defence or Parker comment, but rather that Ben Gordon playing with Calderon in our back court is painfully bad defensive tandem.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #18
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
I wasn't agreeing with the defence or Parker comment, but rather that Ben Gordon playing with Calderon in our back court is painfully bad defensive tandem.

I hate to break it to you but we already have a painfully bad defensive tandem in the back court. With Gordon we'd atleast have 20ppg scorer paired with Calderon instead of the inconsistency of old man Parker.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #19
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
I hate to break it to you but we already have a painfully bad defensive tandem in the back court. With Gordon we'd atleast have 20ppg scorer paired with Calderon instead of the inconsistency of old man Parker.

Exactly! It would be an exciting team too!

+1

Plus we'll have a solid backcourt scorer to finish close games for us and throw in another 10ppg over Parker. Remember when Gordon almost single handedly beat us in the 4th quarter last week? We need that type of finisher!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #20
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I agree. Parker is not the great defender everyone is making him out to be. And with increased age, it's only getting worse. I would see Ben Gordon as a minor downgrade defensively only because of his height, but the benefits would outweigh the costs.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #21
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
I agree. Parker is not the great defender everyone is making him out to be. And with increased age, it's only getting worse. I would see Ben Gordon as a minor downgrade defensively only because of his height, but the benefits would outweigh the costs.

What the hell.. we all agreed on something for once?

/thread lol
Old 04-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #22
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
What the hell.. we all agreed on something for once?

/thread lol
You and DJMason always agree. I guess I unintentionally agreed with you this time around by agreeing with him.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #23
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
You and DJMason always agree. I guess I unintentionally agreed with you this time around by agreeing with him.

Honestly you and I really only disagree on Bosh for the most part. But ya with this happening and the weather being so bi-polar I think the apocalypse may be upon us. I've got some sins to repent of...
Old 04-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #24
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Honestly you and I really only disagree on Bosh for the most part. But ya with this happening and the weather being so bi-polar I think the apocalypse may be upon us. I've got some sins to repent of...
And I suppose since Bosh/Bargnani has become the #1 topic in the Raptors forum, it's why 95% of the time any discussion we have turns into an argument.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #25
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
And I suppose since Bosh/Bargnani has become the #1 topic in the Raptors forum, it's why 95% of the time any discussion we have turns into an argument.

Pretty much.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #26
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

For some reason lately I've been thinking that front court could work. I don't think we will know for sure until they get some help at the guard position.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #27
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
Yeah that D-Wade . If we picked up Gordon we would be the most dangerous perimeter threat in the league. It would open the paint right up for Bosh having Jose, Gordon, Parker, Kapono and Bargnani all creeping around 3 point territory (All 40% 3PT Shooters). We aren't that good defensively as it is and we might as well get another 20ppg scorer in the backcourt to outscore the other team. It would be a really exciting team to watch and I think they would be pretty competitive. Gordon can still play decent defense and gets in the passing lanes and he scores another 10ppg over Parker in the backcourt so it's a definite upgrade.
Yeah, I agree. The way I see it, Ben Gordon would give up an extra point or two per game and score an extra 10. So the tradeoff is more beneficial than what it's gonna cost us. That said, I agree with bokes in that I wouldn't want to give him a 10 million/year contract, he's not worth that much.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #28
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

jrcp3 has an OK reputation so far

Ben Gordon would be GOOD but who would guard the taller SG in the league, Normall Gordon guards the point gurads and Rose/Kirk will play on the SG ....

Jose and Ben at the backcourt would be a defensive nightmare for us considering Jose is taller then Ben but still can't even guard that much .....

Perfect shooting guard size is like 6'6 ish well if they want to be a good defender .....
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #29
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:

Do you think I'm retarded? Of course we already have a painfully bad defensive tandem in the back court, and getting Ben Gordon doesn't help that problem in the least.

In other threads, I can't say precisely who was talking about it, people are all in agreement that we don't need more scoring and "excitement", and we don't need to play an offensive style game, because no team has ever achieved anything with that style of play (all things said by most posters here).

And in a separate thread now everybody wants to bring it a bad, undersized defensive player with the ability to score? If we get a significant upgrade at the SF or PG spot (defensively) then I am okay with the signing, but SOMEBODY needs to play defense on the perimeter.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #30
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Do you think I'm retarded? Of course we already have a painfully bad defensive tandem in the back court, and getting Ben Gordon doesn't help that problem in the least.

In other threads, I can't say precisely who was talking about it, people are all in agreement that we don't need more scoring and "excitement", and we don't need to play an offensive style game, because no team has ever achieved anything with that style of play (all things said by most posters here).

And in a separate thread now everybody wants to bring it a bad, undersized defensive player with the ability to score? If we get a significant upgrade at the SF or PG spot (defensively) then I am okay with the signing, but SOMEBODY needs to play defense on the perimeter.

And in many other threads everyone has lamented the fact that all year we have lacked someone who can create and make their own shot at the end of games which is why Bosh is left with the rock in his hands at the end of games when he shouldn't be. In a perfect world we'd get a tough defending and scoring wing who would only cost us $8 mill per year. This however is not a perfect world and therefore compromises have to be made and people are comfortable with compromising with Gordon.

When Parker scores around 20 points in a game we usually win. Given that, I'd say that if we had Gordon this year instead of him we'd probably at least be in the playoff race if not in the playoffs.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: