Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 04-07-2009, 01:13 AM   #61
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: ALL TIME NFL DRAFT (6 - 8 players ... 25 picks each)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Shark
That's a great point... I kinda like career, but I understand prime.

That means playes like Terrel Davis, Bo Jackson, Kurt Warner, Jamal Anderson could be valuble....

I prefer Career

but whatever...
Prime enables us to include current players.

Players like Gale Sayers/Jim Brown/Barry Sanders who would all be drafted should not be penalized for having short careers because Emmitt Smith would be one of the top RB's which in reality isn't even top 10.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:14 AM   #62
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Why couldn't it be either prime or an entire career? Like I said... If you can defend your pick, it really shouldn't make a difference.

because then you run into this issue:

Terrell Davis vs. Adrian Peterson

poster A: Peterson is a BEAST!!!!...he will be twice the RB that Davis was!!!

poster B: Davis is a 3x probowler and Super Bowl MVP....comparing him to AD is a complete joke...!!!

both poster are right (or could be right)

but we have to decide who is right by our rules...

opinionated talent vs. career acheivements
Old 04-07-2009, 01:15 AM   #63
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Shark
That's a great point... I kinda like career, but I understand prime.

That means playes like Terrel Davis, Bo Jackson, Kurt Warner, Jamal Anderson could be valuble....

I prefer Career

but whatever...
I don't get how it really makes a difference. You should just pick the best player available... prime, career... Whatever. Make your pick and state your case for why you made said selection. If you want to make your case based around three or four seasons, fine. If you want to make your case based around 15 or 20 years, fine.

There really isn't any need for guidelines. Make your picks and then have the board decide which team is the best.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:15 AM   #64
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarloStanfield
Prime enables us to include current players.

Players like Gale Sayers/Jim Brown/Barry Sanders who would all be drafted should not be penalized for having short careers because Emmitt Smith would be one of the top RB's which in reality isn't even top 10.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:17 AM   #65
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
because then you run into this issue:

Terrell Davis vs. Adrian Peterson

poster A: Peterson is a BEAST!!!!...he will be twice the RB that Davis was!!!

poster B: Davis is a 3x probowler and Super Bowl MVP....comparing him to AD is a complete joke...!!!

both poster are right (or could be right)

but we have to decide who is right by our rules...

opinionated talent vs. career acheivements
I could make a case for either running back. The point is, there IS NO right or wrong answer. Just as long as you can reasonably argue as to why you made the selection, it should be fine.

Simply stating that a guy is 'a beast' is not a good argument, whether you are talking about Jim Brown or AD. Peterson all ready HAS some pretty amazing statistics that can be cited.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:17 AM   #66
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't know why you are struggling with this concept primetime, we're simply taking the best available players (body of work factors into this but is not only the only factor like you are proposing).

And for the record Terrell Davis had a very short prime and is not a good comparison at all. He had like 4 great years.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:20 AM   #67
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarloStanfield
I don't know why you are struggling with this concept primetime, we're simply taking the best available players (body of work factors into this but is not only the only factor like you are proposing).

And for the record Terrell Davis had a very short prime and is not a good comparison at all. He had like 4 great years.
OH I see what you are saying...

you think that it would just turn into a race to see who can get the players with the most probowls and that is it...

I gotcha

NO...it would still be all opinion...

I am sure that there are plenty of WRs with more probowls than Moss but Moss should still be viewed as one of the best WRs ever...

but again...

we have to determine how to rank Peterson vs. Davis

WHO WINS THAT BATTLE RIGHT NOW IN YOUR OPINION???

Peterson could blow out his knee next year and become a "coulda been"...
Old 04-07-2009, 01:24 AM   #68
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:

you think that it would just turn into a race to see who can get the players with the most probowls and that is it...

I gotcha

I am sure that there are plenty of WRs with more probowls than Moss but Moss should still be viewed as one of the best WRs ever...

but again...

Why would anyone base it strictly on Pro Bowls? Peterson holds the single-game rushing yards record, correct? That is argument enough to take him, if you really wanted to. Personally, he hasn't showed me enough for me to take him, but that doesn't mean that an argument can't be made for you to take him.

It is all subjective. Why restrict this draft with guidelines? Ultimately, there is no right or wrong choice.

Just make your pick and state your argument. Debates like the one you are attempting to make is what will make the draft so interesting.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:24 AM   #69
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:

I gotcha

but again...

Moss would be top 5 all-time if he retired tomorrow. I don't know if I'd take anyone over him besides Jerry Rice.

As far as TD vs. AP I'd give a slight edge to TD. TD's best season is way better than AP's 08 season (obv. 2 year sample is very small). TD had one of the greatest O-line's blocking for him and a dynamic passing to boot. AP has a very good O-line but not quite as good and is lacking a passing game. TD had better receiving back which also factors in to my decision. As far as raw talent is concerned I'd pick Peterson though.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:25 AM   #70
D-Shark

Quote:

We have to go with potential/ achievement for ONE YEAR Bull $hit.

I want to draft current players too.

like Sean Merriman, D-Ware, Polomalu.... you get the point... players that made a ENORMOUS IMPACT the year they played the game.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:28 AM   #71
D-Shark

Quote:

It is all subjective. Why restrict this draft with guidelines? Ultimately, there is no right or wrong choice.

+1
Old 04-07-2009, 01:28 AM   #72
-primetime-

Quote:
Why would anyone base it strictly on Pro Bowls? Peterson holds the single-game rushing yards record, correct? That is argument enough to take him, if you really wanted to. Personally, he hasn't showed me enough for me to take him, but that doesn't mean that an argument can't be made for you to take him.

Just make your pick and state your argument. Debates like the one you are attempting to make is what will make the draft so interesting.
when I did my first all time draft on another site this completely ruined my chances...

that is why I am bringing it up...

I took Peterson in a later round and everyone was shocked because he is young and has accomplished very little compared to other that were still available for me to take...

Terrell Davis was one of them...they said he would have been a much beter pick...but I told them that i think Peterson is better than Davis ever was...they said it didn't matter because he hasn't been around long enough...

alright...whatever...lets get this thing going...

I'll start a new thread for the actual draft itself...

how do you guys think I should determine the draft order???
Old 04-07-2009, 01:31 AM   #73
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

for the sake of debate I'd take these 10 RB's over Emmitt if we're talking prime without blinking:

Jim Brown
Walter Payton
Gale Sayers
Barry Sanders
LT
Marshall Faulk
Eric Dickerson
Marcus Allen
Earl Campbell
Bo Jackson
Old 04-07-2009, 01:32 AM   #74
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
when I did my first all time draft on another site this completely ruined my chances...

that is why I am bringing it up...

I took Peterson in a later round and everyone was shocked because he is young and has accomplished very little compared to other that were still available for me to take...

Terrell Davis was one of them...they said he would have been a much beter pick...but I told them that i think Peterson is better than Davis ever was...they said it didn't matter because he hasn't been around long enough...

random if possible.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:33 AM   #75
D-Shark

Quote:

I don't care about draft order...

I just want to make sure people don't slack when it's their time to pick.

But yea... let's do this.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: