Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Coaching Situation

Discuss who you want to coach this team next season.

Triano did a decent job I think and has more experience than a lot of people think. The players like him a lot too. Doug Smith mentioned a comparison between Triano and D'Antoni and their interim campaigns. D'Antoni had a terrible interim season with the Suns, but the following year D'Antoni turned them into one of the best and most exciting teams in the league. Maybe Triano deserves another shot? Lately the team has been playing better and buying into his system, so maybe with a bit more talent everything will start falling into place?

Lawrence Frank has been rumoured to be on his way out of New Jersey. I would love to have him coach the Raptors. He has a philosophy and is very good on the drawing board. He would help us in late game situations and give us some direction I think.

What do you think?
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
antonaki1
Serious playground baller

antonaki1 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Coaching Situation

The biggest asset Triano has in his corner is probably Chris Bosh. He genuinly likes Triano alot and feels comfortable with him. If we hope to resign Chris Bosh, having Triano may play a huge part in Chris's decision. Than there's Andrea and would he be as effective with a different coaching philosophy. I like Triano also, he's bright and i think he can become a great NBA strategist with the experience he gains. Also Colangelo probably feels very comfortable with the rapport the two have and with bringing in another coach, that might change.

Having said that, Lawrence Frank is an extremely good coach He would be very defensive oriented, which might be a good thing. He's also a workaholic, no nonsense, dead serious coach so everyone would certainly always be accountable. If Triano were not to be signed, we would be doing ourselves a grave injustice not to seriously consider Lawrence Frank.
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Adjust the roster over the summer and give Triano a full training camp to run properly imprint himself onto the team. See how he does with an upgraded roster. The Raps have already used up a good chunk of this season adjusting to a new HC and I'm not sure that another change so quickly will make a huge difference, in addition to a relatively similar roster next season most likely.

Then there is the already discussed issue of MLSE paying 2 coaches which is a question mark.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

jrcp3 has an OK reputation so far

I am still confused on what style Jay wants to play ..... are we going with an uptempo offensive? because there are still times we don't push the ball. First thing we have to indentify what style were going to play and then bring in players for that style.
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcp3
I am still confused on what style Jay wants to play ..... are we going with an uptempo offensive? because there are still times we don't push the ball. First thing we have to indentify what style were going to play and then bring in players for that style.
The problem is, the GM is calling for a run and gun style. While i'm not a big supporter of Jay Triano, he tried to implement that type of system, but we don't necessarily have that type of team right now. We have a half court point guard, and the bigs, rather than the guards are controlling the system offensively. So, I think that unless we want to completely rebuild, we have to bring in more uptempo guys and stick with that type of system.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
The problem is, the GM is calling for a run and gun style. While i'm not a big supporter of Jay Triano, he tried to implement that type of system, but we don't necessarily have that type of team right now. We have a half court point guard, and the bigs, rather than the guards are controlling the system offensively. So, I think that unless we want to completely rebuild, we have to bring in more uptempo guys and stick with that type of system.

Why do we want to be a run n gun team? There hasn't been a lot of teams who have had success with that system.

Let's bring in a bunch of talented, hard nosed defensive players that have a bit of a scoring touch (Pistons). That kind of formula at least had some success beforehand.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
Why do we want to be a run n gun team? There hasn't been a lot of teams who have had success with that system.

Let's bring in a bunch of talented, hard nosed defensive players that have a bit of a scoring touch (Pistons). That kind of formula at least had some success beforehand.
That's the thing. Unless we are replacing our entire roster, we're not gonna be that hard nosed defensive team that you're talking about.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
antonaki1
Serious playground baller

antonaki1 has an OK reputation so far

I think what we need is a high energy team which might differ a little from an all out helter skelter fast break one. It just means you have a very solid NBA bench so as to spell your starters so they don't overplay minutes. Everyone plays all out with tons of motion something like Utah. That is why they are so hard to defend against. That takes energy and everyone feels more involved in the game. When you play a few less minutes, you also defend with much more energy. If someone doesn't bring it some night, you have some real options on the bench to take their minutes. Competition is healthy. Practices can be more high tempo with no fear of tiring your players and it all translates well into games.

Last edited by antonaki1 : 04-07-2009 at 03:50 PM.
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #9
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation

If Triano is not fired in the off season, Colangelo must be.

If Colangelo fired a recent Coach of the Year and good coach of this team because he's a super-ambitious GM who has a perfect coach in mind to take this team further, then OK, I can go along with that, even if it means squandering a season with an interim coach.

If Colangelo fired said coach only to permanently replace him with someone no one else in the NBA would ever hire as head coach, someone who shows no signs of ever being more than average in this league, then I don't want Colangelo as GM of my team.

Even though there was no reason to think he was the right person for this team, Triano got a wonderful, lucky chance to show something incredible in the most-of-a-season he has been interim head coach. He didn't show anything like that. Thank him, keep him as assistant, but there's no way he should be an ambitious team's head coach.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantona
If Triano is not fired in the off season, Colangelo must be.

If Colangelo fired a recent Coach of the Year and good coach of this team because he's a super-ambitious GM who has a perfect coach in mind to take this team further, then OK, I can go along with that, even if it means squandering a season with an interim coach.

If Colangelo fired said coach only to permanently replace him with someone no one else in the NBA would ever hire as head coach, someone who shows no signs of ever being more than average in this league, then I don't want Colangelo as GM of my team.

Even though there was no reason to think he was the right person for this team, Triano got a wonderful, lucky chance to show something incredible in the most-of-a-season he has been interim head coach. He didn't show anything like that. Thank him, keep him as assistant, but there's no way he should be an ambitious team's head coach.

DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #11
Dr. Hoopenstein
Rise Above The Comp

Dr. Hoopenstein has decent reputation

Jack Armstrong, a MLSE company man, already said that JTriano WILL be back next season as the HC on Off The Record a couple of weeks ago during the beginning of the Rap's 6 winning streak which left them still 15 games under .500 before currently losing 3 in a row.

If Jay is in fact the HC next season I will boycott the Rap's win or lose as Sam got shafted by Coangelo and his wack ass off season moves ie JO(trading Hibbert, Ford & Rasho), Solomon who is now out of the League along w/ HAdams not to mention Voshkul who shouldn't even be in the League. And now with Banks on the roster the Rap's will have another dead weight non on the court productive contract for the next few years ala Kapono.
Dr. Hoopenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:27 AM   #12
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Hoopenstein
Jack Armstrong, a MLSE company man, already said that JTriano WILL be back next season as the HC on Off The Record a couple of weeks ago during the beginning of the Rap's 6 winning streak which left them still 15 games under .500 before currently losing 3 in a row.

If Jay is in fact the HC next season I will boycott the Rap's win or lose as Sam got shafted by Coangelo and his wack ass off season moves ie JO(trading Hibbert, Ford & Rasho), Solomon who is now out of the League along w/ HAdams not to mention Voshkul who shouldn't even be in the League. And now with Banks on the roster the Rap's will have another dead weight non on the court productive contract for the next few years ala Kapono.

Dude you just made me so sad and depressed about this team. Like I don't even know why I follow sports sometimes. Like seriously. FML.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #13
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Honestly. Everyone is looking down on this team. Triano did take over early in the year so he didn't really have the summer to adjust to the team and everything. And it is hard when you have a coach that wants to play a certain type of game and a manager who wants to play a different type. That is going to bring out the worst in the team. Colangelo needs to not draft a european again unless it is the best possible draft pick. If we need to, trade away one of our good assets. And there are many teams in the NBA that could use some 3-point shooting on their team. If we WERE to trade Bosh, we would need a star type player in return. Be strategic though. Don't send Bosh for some good assets to a team like Cleveland. That would be tragic. Colangelo, Triano, Bosh and the rest of the team must buck up before this team can go anywhere.

BTW, Marion is a good SF but we really need a scorer...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #14
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
BTW, Marion is a good SF but we really need a scorer...

Especially a combo guard that makes clutch shots and scores around 20 per game. You know who I'm talking about..
Old 04-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #15
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
Especially a combo guard that makes clutch shots and scores around 20 per game. You know who I'm talking about..

I don't think we need a combo guard at all. With a PG like Jose and a developing Ukic backing him up, IMO it would be much better if he could play both wing spots(SG and SF).

But if he plays just one of them I am fine with that, as long as we get a guy who can score from either spot.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: