Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #16
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Monta Ellis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcp3
Forget monta, he's just another undersized 2 guard who isn't going to be able to guard most shooting guards ......

Jose and Monta in the backcourt would be great offensively but on the defensive end it would be a night mare.

Who would guard Rip Hamilton at the shooting guard spot?

6'3 Monta guarding 6'7 Rip ?

At least with Parker he can guard his man better than most and he is a knock down shooter .... everyone is bashing parker but he is perfect.

Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #17
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni

I was going to quote the exact same thing.

His size is perfect.. I hope that's what he meant.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #18
antonaki1
Serious playground baller

antonaki1 has an OK reputation so far

If we can't guard Hamilton, maybe we should try to get him in 2010. He would solve all of our problems for sure. He's a good defender also. He's got a year left and might be available sooner if they don't agree to an extension. If Bosh doesn't sign, maybe Detroit would be a good trade option.
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #19
niaz555
I airball my layups

niaz555 has an OK reputation so far

rip hamiltons a great player, i agree. BUT that is not what the team needs. He cant really create his own shot and get to the rim as Monta Ellis can. Like we can trade for monta then have enough money maybe to sign marion. cuz marions an amazing sf but he cant create for ****, the guys dribbling is uglyyy... neither can he shoot well.

what i mean to say is .. if we keep bosh .. then no way are we spending money on marion. we need to get A sg who can create of the dribble (if we`re desperate: get gordon) ...

Is any team winning with just 2 big men? they need a solid guard/forward ( kobe, pierce, wade, lebron, roy, melo......")

A sg for 12m is decent.
niaz555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #20
Too_Cool
Great young streetballer

Too_Cool has an OK reputation so far

Parker's lost a step on both ends of the floor since being here in TO, and it's only gonna get worse...He is not a starter anymore, and I'm still curious as to why we didn't trade his ass at the deadline, no 2nd round offers?
Too_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #21
Too_Cool
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niaz555

Is any team winning with just 2 big men? they need a solid guard/forward ( kobe, pierce, wade, lebron, roy, melo......")

Yea, maybe Bargs could go for a SG and just throw any big scrub into the 5...? Jawai's still too raw but all we need is a big body to help Bosh down-low.

With Calderon, Marion, Bosh and a good 2-guard we'd have enough offense to compete with anyone, any style.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #22
HalphbreedBaller
High School JV MVP

HalphbreedBaller has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by niaz555
well ofcourse bosh is worth more.. and since trade deadline... ive been wanting ellis and biedrins to be the core of the trade if we're giving bosh. solid centre along with il mago!

Ditto!
HalphbreedBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #23
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Ellis is a one-dimensional scorer and not much else. Don't get me wrong, the Raptors could use a scorer, but he'd be a mistake at PG for any team. Put him beside Calderon rather than taking his place and I'm more inclined to say yes.

He's also looked pretty injury prone the entire time he's been in the league.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #24
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

jrcp3 has an OK reputation so far

So who would be our staring Shooting Guard Kobe Bryant? and Shawn Marion at Small Forward ......

Parker at the Shooting Guard and an Allstar Small Forward that's perfect. All Parker would have to do is guard his man like he has been doing and hit the 3 point shot like he has been doing .....

Everyone exspects too much of parker wtf do you want him to do avg 20 and 7 .... like honestly get him a ALLSTAR SMALL FORWARD and everything will be fine.
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #25
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
So who would be our staring Shooting Guard Kobe Bryant? and Shawn Marion at Small Forward ......

Parker at the Shooting Guard and an Allstar Small Forward that's perfect. All Parker would have to do is guard his man like he has been doing and hit the 3 point shot like he has been doing .....

Everyone exspects too much of parker wtf do you want him to do avg 20 and 7 .... like honestly get him a ALLSTAR SMALL FORWARD and everything will be fine.

No man.. we are way too weak at the guard position. We got Kapono, Ukic, Graham and Banks as reserves and the aging Anthony Parker as our starting SG. Not to mention the weak defense of Jose. We are in desperate need of a combo guard type player, which is why I have been pushing for a Ben Gordon signing. I really think lack of production from the guard position has been hurting us all season, because when both Jose and Parker play well we usually win the game. Signing Gordon and bringing in Parker off the bench next season would do this team wonders.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:36 AM   #26
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

Quote:
No man.. we are way too weak at the guard position. We got Kapono, Ukic, Graham and Banks as reserves and the aging Anthony Parker as our starting SG. Not to mention the weak defense of Jose. We are in desperate need of a combo guard type player, which is why I have been pushing for a Ben Gordon signing. I really think lack of production from the guard position has been hurting us all season, because when both Jose and Parker play well we usually win the game. Signing Gordon and bringing in Parker off the bench next season would do this team wonders.

Toni man...... Kapono, Banks, Ukic are all scrubs and on any playoff team they are 12th man at best. Kapono doesn't fit our system AT ALL and he should be gone right away.

We need a Allstar SHOOTING GUARD or Allstar SMALL FORWARD either one.

and realistically we can't get both so we would have to do with 1 ALLSTAR SG or SF and the other a mid level player.

obviously if we signed BEN GORDON, Parker would come off the bench. but you do understand we couldn't than sign Marion ..... so who would play the Small forward? Joey Graham? we would be in another HUGE hole at the SF than.

Sign Richard Jefferson and have him at the 3 ...... Park would be fine at the Shooting guard because Jefferson would take all the pressure off of him letting Parker simply knock down shots and play good defence ....
Old 04-09-2009, 01:06 AM   #27
Too_Cool
Great young streetballer

Yea, a good small forward will make ur sg look a lil better, but as we have seen it's still not enough...Calderon is so weak on D too, it's freakin painful watchin them all some nights.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:45 AM   #28
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too_Cool
Yea, a good small forward will make ur sg look a lil better, but as we have seen it's still not enough...Calderon is so weak on D too, it's freakin painful watchin them all some nights.

Marion isn't a player who makes others better ......

Example = Carmelo Anthony with Anthony Parker would be great!

We have the money to sign a ALLSTAR caliber player this summer
because that was the reason why we gave away O'Neil and Moon for a rent-a-player in Marion.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #29
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Toni man...... Kapono, Banks, Ukic are all scrubs and on any playoff team they are 12th man at best. Kapono doesn't fit our system AT ALL and he should be gone right away.

We need a Allstar SHOOTING GUARD or Allstar SMALL FORWARD either one.

and realistically we can't get both so we would have to do with 1 ALLSTAR SG or SF and the other a mid level player.

obviously if we signed BEN GORDON, Parker would come off the bench. but you do understand we couldn't than sign Marion ..... so who would play the Small forward? Joey Graham? we would be in another HUGE hole at the SF than.

Sign Richard Jefferson and have him at the 3 ...... Park would be fine at the Shooting guard because Jefferson would take all the pressure off of him letting Parker simply knock down shots and play good defence ....

lol I think you need to read my post again;

Quote:

I wasn't saying that our guard reserves were good I was saying the opposite. But yeah I think we sorely lack a combo guard on this team and I would rather have Gordon over Marion. We could maybe sign a Trevor Ariza type player for 3-4M or something with the MLE (Or 6M for Marion is he wants it). Plus we got Delfino coming back for our bench. I'm not saying those are solutions at the SF position but I think one position, either the SF or SG will suffer this offseason because we do not have enough money to fix both problems.

I'm more willing to fix the SG position with a big name FA, draft a kid to learn the SF over time, sign a makeshift starter for SF like Ariza and bring back Delfino to play with the draft pick on the bench. Gives us more depth and I would love to have a bonafide back court threat in Gordon on this club. I find he's really underrated.

Bargnani/Draft Pick
Bosh/Pops/Hump
Ariza/Delfino/Draft Pick/Kapono
Gordon/Parker/Graham
Calderon/Ukic/Banks

+ 1st and 2nd round picks should be used in those areas I think.

Letting walk/waive; Marion, Jawai, Voskuhl, O'Bryant, Douby (Maybe take another look at him).

Anyways I like that team a lot and we will have a very good second unit once we get some help at the backup C position. Rasho anyone? Parker and Delfino will bring some veteran presence to the 2nd unit and Pops and Ukic can continue what they're doing.

We should re-sign Graham and Parker with the Bird Rights. This will leave us in very good position to trade next season. Banks, Kapono, Graham and Hump will all be expendible.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #30
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Marion isn't a player who makes others better ......

Example = Carmelo Anthony with Anthony Parker would be great!

We have the money to sign a ALLSTAR caliber player this summer because that was the reason why we gave away O'Neil and Moon for a rent-a-player in Marion.

Dude.. there's not a very good selection of FAs this summer read up on it. Jefferson isn't a FA you can't just sign another team's player. Why do you love Anthony Parker so much? Yeah he makes a nice fadeaway every now and then and plays adequate defense but he's still not very good. Plus he's getting one year older next season. We need to focus on the guard position and make it stronger.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: