Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #31
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Monta Ellis?

Ya to backup what Toni said, Jefferson isn't a FA this summer so NO we cannot simply sign him. Furthermore, we DON'T have enough money to sign an allstar since we're going to have roughly $10-11 million in cap space once Marion leaves. While his contract is for $17 million, we are over the cap by enough that we're not going to have that full number to spend on one player.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:51 PM   #32
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Sekman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
lol I think you need to read my post again;

I wasn't saying that our guard reserves were good I was saying the opposite. But yeah I think we sorely lack a combo guard on this team and I would rather have Gordon over Marion. We could maybe sign a Trevor Ariza type player for 3-4M or something with the MLE (Or 6M for Marion is he wants it). Plus we got Delfino coming back for our bench. I'm not saying those are solutions at the SF position but I think one position, either the SF or SG will suffer this offseason because we do not have enough money to fix both problems.

I'm more willing to fix the SG position with a big name FA, draft a kid to learn the SF over time, sign a makeshift starter for SF like Ariza and bring back Delfino to play with the draft pick on the bench. Gives us more depth and I would love to have a bonafide back court threat in Gordon on this club. I find he's really underrated.

Bargnani/Draft Pick
Bosh/Pops/Hump
Ariza/Delfino/Draft Pick/Kapono
Gordon/Parker/Graham
Calderon/Ukic/Banks

+ 1st and 2nd round picks should be used in those areas I think.

Letting walk/waive; Marion, Jawai, Voskuhl, O'Bryant, Douby (Maybe take another look at him).

Anyways I like that team a lot and we will have a very good second unit once we get some help at the backup C position. Rasho anyone? Parker and Delfino will bring some veteran presence to the 2nd unit and Pops and Ukic can continue what they're doing.

We should re-sign Graham and Parker with the Bird Rights. This will leave us in very good position to trade next season. Banks, Kapono, Graham and Hump will all be expendible.

that line up looks promising, except i would prefer delfino to start.. simply because of his defense and rebounding
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #33
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekman
that line up looks promising, except i would prefer delfino to start.. simply because of his defense and rebounding

From Doug Smith's blog:

Quote:
Whither Carlos Delfino?

Well, Maurizio saw him over the weekend the EuroCup final eight, which is the final of the club competition thats one step down from the EuroLeague.

And Khimki, the team of Delfino and our good friend Garbo, lost in the championship game to Lietuvos Rytas of Lithuania, blowing a 14-point lead in the final quarter of the gold-medal game.

Howd Carlos look?

Same as always. Had like 12 one game, 18 the next, 16 the next; nothing spectacular nothing horrible.

Now, we all know Bryans quite enamoured of Delfino and some think hes destined to be a Raptor again next year. But hes going to want to get paid, somewhere north of $3 million, Id presume and I do not think the Raptors can clog their roster with Carlos, Jason, Joey, AP and Marcus Banks. Thats a lot of the same thing.

So if Colangelo is going to bring back Delfino, and Im not sure he should, hes going to have to jettison at least two and maybe three of those other guys. And that wont be easy.

Carlos was, as you all should remember, wildly inconsistent in his year here and I know his legend has grown considerably since hes been gone but theres nothing to suggest hed be any different given another chance.

We need to get this Delfino thing under control. If he starts for us next year, we are potentially going to be worse than we are now. Good God people how short term is your memory?
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #34
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

jrcp3 has an OK reputation so far

yea regardless we NEED to sign a Legit Combo Guard who can drive and knock down the 3 ball.

If we can get our hands on Derozon or Tyreke Evans in the draft were set at the Shooting Guard.

Than we just have to sign a big name small forward with all the money we have this summer to spend from giving away JO and moon.
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #35
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcp3
yea regardless we NEED to sign a Legit Combo Guard who can drive and knock down the 3 ball.

If we can get our hands on Derozon or Tyreke Evans in the draft were set at the Shooting Guard.

Than we just have to sign a big name small forward with all the money we have this summer to spend from giving away JO and moon.

Those are not combo guards. I know Evans played a little PG in college but there's no way that's going to fly in the NBA. Derozan isn't even close to a combo guard, he's stricty SG, maybe SF because of athleticism.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #36
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

Quote:
Those are not combo guards. I know Evans played a little PG in college but there's no way that's going to fly in the NBA. Derozan isn't even close to a combo guard, he's stricty SG, maybe SF because of athleticism.

No man. If you watch College Basketball you would know that Evans turned the corner when he started to play the Point Guard at the start of the season he was awful playing at the 2.

He is going to have to play the Shooting Guard in the NBA but if we get him in Toronto Late in 4th Quarters ill like him run the point and have Jose on the bench because Evans defense would be 10x better against all the PG's who abuse Jose during the game.

Evans and Bosh in a two man game late in 4 Quarters would be deadly.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #37
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcp3
No man. If you watch College Basketball you would know that Evans turned the corner when he started to play the Point Guard at the start of the season he was awful playing at the 2.

He is going to have to play the Shooting Guard in the NBA but if we get him in Toronto Late in 4th Quarters ill like him run the point and have Jose on the bench because Evans defense would be 10x better against all the PG's who abuse Jose during the game.

Evans and Bosh in a two man game late in 4 Quarters would be deadly.

I know he's good and has good court vision, but at 6'6" I GUARANTEE you he will not play any PG in the NBA. I think your overhyping him a little too much. He still has a lot of flaws to his game, but he has a lot of upside too. It's going to take him 3 years or so to put it all together. Same can be said about Derozan.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #38
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

Quote:
I know he's good and has good court vision, but at 6'6" I GUARANTEE you he will not play any PG in the NBA. I think your overhyping him a little too much. He still has a lot of flaws to his game, but he has a lot of upside too. It's going to take him 3 years or so to put it all together. Same can be said about Derozan.

Evans has already proven that he is a knock down shooter.

Derozan right now is pretty much relaying on his athleticism but if he works on that jump shot he will be very good.

i would take James Harden over both of them !!! but i doubt he is going to fall past 5 even with this crappy tourney play ....
Old 04-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #39
SouthernOctopus
I airball my layups

SouthernOctopus has an OK reputation so far

I would love to get Ellis, especially if we could get Biedrins too.
SouthernOctopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #40
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Evans is a combo guard. Hes proven he can play the one and he has the size and skills to play the 2. Ya he still has to improve the turnovers but he is still a combo guard. Their have been many point guards over 6'5 too.

Derozan however is a athlete but until he can shoot he won't be good in this league. Hes definatly better than Joey Graham ATM though.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #41
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
Evans is a combo guard. Hes proven he can play the one and he has the size and skills to play the 2. Ya he still has to improve the turnovers but he is still a combo guard. Their have been many point guards over 6'5 too.

Derozan however is a athlete but until he can shoot he won't be good in this league. Hes definatly better than Joey Graham ATM though.

Thank you.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: