Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 04-15-2009, 12:43 AM   #16
GSW1984
I airball my layups

Default Re: Predict your busts and studs for the 2009 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
These guys can't be busts when they're projected to go late first round to second round.

Thats true about Summers and Adrien but Hansbrough and Blair on some boards are at least top 20. I put these guys as busts because they probably wont be in the league 3 years later.
GSW1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #17
disco
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
Blake = Sean May Part II

BUST!

Could there be two big men less similar?
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:55 AM   #18
monthh
Local High School Star

I have low expectations for this draft, so I don't have high expectations for the players in this class, but to me the studs are the best players from the class, so I go with:

Ricky Rubio, Hasheem Thabeet, Blake Griffin, Demar DeRozan.

Again, I don't have high expectations, but the guys that will be taken too soon that I don't think will live up to expectations:

Jordan Hill, Earl Clark, and Chase Budinger, and if they go as high as some people are predicting (I don't think they will, but if they do) I would include Ty Lawson, Gerald Henderson, and Wayne Ellington.

I have a lot of guys I am on the fence with, though. I am actually kind of thinking they will either be studs or busts, I'm not sure which, and not somewhere inbetween which is usually where I stand. I think if these guys pan out, they will be studs, but if they don't they will be busts:

Steph Curry, Johnny Flynn, Tyreke Evans, and to a lesser extent James Harden and Brandon Jennings (who I am leaning toward studs).
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #19
bonez26
Local High School Star

Studs: Griffin, Rubio, Monroe, Evans, Derozan, Clark, Johnson

Bust: Thabeet, Mullins, Harden, curry, Mullins, Daye, Holliday

Gems : Summers, Young, Jerrells, McNeal, T. Smith, Harrangody, Cunningham
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #20
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

I'll base this on draftexpress's mock. This is a weak draft for star calibre talent, so I understand why some of these guys are going so high despite clearly not being future NBA stars. If you accept that there is only one player with potential to be a franchise player, and probably only a Boozer-calibre one, then some of the guys i have as "busts" might not be, because they could be decent. But not stars.

Studs:

Blake Griffin - I have my doubts about Griffin, because he looks to be only about 6'8, maybe 6'9. So he might struggle defensively. However, his rebounding will translate well, he is freakishly athletic and strong, he has good touch and hands, and he seems to have very good character and decent BBall IQ. All in all, he could be a rich man's Carlos Boozer. He could also be better or worse than that, but he should be a damn good PF.

Ricky Rubio - a true PG. Will solidify the PG position for whatever team drafts him, due to his intelligence and character, combined with his skills and size for the position

James Harden - will be a very good starting calibre SG for years. Probably not a star, but can handle, pass, shoot, and drive with great skill. Pretty sure he's a good defender too. I would kill to have the Raptors draft him.

Busts (or very average NBA players):

Jordan Hill - not a top 5 pick type of player, I just don't see him being anything more than a Chris Wilcox in the NBA. Not smart or skilled enough, not a star mentality. Maybe I'm underrating him, he does have good size and athleticism and could be a decent rotation player, but he will never be a star warranting a top 3 pick.

Hasheem Thabeet - He seems like a nice guy, but he will be a bust because he's being drafted so high. Little offensive game, kind of wimpy. He will be bustish as a top 5 pick, unless Minnesota picks him, they could really use some height. Could be Mutombo-lite I guess, but probably not.

Brandon Jennings - maybe I just don't like the idea of American players skipping college and playing in Europe, then going to the NBA. Or maybe it's the fact that Jennings is a skinny little *****. Could be TJ Ford calibre or maybe like Lou Williams with PG skill, but having only seen him play in Euroleague games, he can't shoot for **** and didn't look like anything special. Top 6 is too high.

Tyreke Evans - will probably be cancerous, this guy seems alot like Larry Hughes. Dude can't do anything without the ball in his hands, and just seems like a dumb guy. Maybe I just don't know enough about him, but I would steer clear. I don't see what he can be in the NBA.

Dumbar Derozan - athleticism does not a basketball player make. See Desmond Mason, Gerald Green, James White, etc, etc. Could be like a Ronnie Brewer type, but people calling this guy the next Vince need to wake up. He can't shoot, isn't very skilled, has low BBall IQ, and doesn't strike me as smart enough to pick all this up.

Actually, I'm going to stop, come to think of it many of these guys might surprise me. And it's not fair to call them "busts" yet.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #21
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

The best gem is going to be Prince James as I like to call him. Dominic James coming out of Marquette is the real deal and reminds me of AI.

BJ Mullens couldnt even play in high school, so I dont know why some one would draft him. But he will probably be the biggest bust of the draft.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #22
sak
I hit open layups

not to many studs... Griffin, Rubio.. only 2 that i think are a sure deal..

Bust... Hill, Harden, Derozan.. Not gonna cut it.. they will drift off after a couple years.

Thabeet is going to be good in the nba... Top 3-5 pick good... no... He will be picked up that early as everyone knows just cause his size... Hes going to be better then mutumbo on the offensive end..

Now for the guys we just really cant friggin tell..
Curry, Jennings.... I know theres some left out but these are the big ones that i see with major question marks. Could be horrible or really could be super stars. and with both of them u just cant tell if there going to be able to RUN a Squad at the NBA level.. and thats what they have to do to be studs.
sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #23
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

I feel like there's going to be a lot rotation players in this draft, but very little star power.

I normally look at drafts in tiers, and this year I almost find it hard to break down.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #24
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I feel like there's going to be a lot rotation players in this draft, but very little star power.

I normally look at drafts in tiers, and this year I almost find it hard to break down.
There's really only one player in my mind worth a top 5 pick in this draft. Some might say Rubio is in that top teir as well, but I've never really seen him play so I will hold judgment on him.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #25
Mr_Basketball#1
McCants is Available!!

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I really think Gerald Henderson will be good. He's got a lil' bit of Kobe in his game.
Mr_Basketball#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #26
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Am I the only one who sees a bit of Roy in Harden? I don't think Harden'll ever be the player Roy is, but both a bit slept on athletically, extremely well rounded, hoops IQ through the roof. I remember wondering why Roy wasn't a top 3 in all the mocks.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #27
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Basketball#1
Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I really think Gerald Henderson will be good. He's got a lil' bit of Kobe in his game.

You're not the only one. I like Gerald a lot too though I don't see much Kobe even though they're both from Lower Merion. He's got the talent be one of those athletic swingman that are borderline all-stars like Eddie Jones, Michael Finley, Richard Jefferson, and so forth. Definitely a nice player.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #28
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Am I the only one who sees a bit of Roy in Harden? I don't think Harden'll ever be the player Roy is, but both a bit slept on athletically, extremely well rounded, hoops IQ through the roof. I remember wondering why Roy wasn't a top 3 in all the mocks.

I said this too when I first saw Harden this year. Roy is definitely a better passer and more patient with the ball, but Harden breaks down the game in the same methodical manner I see Roy does as well. I know others have said he reminds them of Manu, but Manu is a lot flashier as well as athletic. Pierce is also a good comparison, but a lot of his game hinges upon him being bigger than his defender and post ups.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:43 AM   #29
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
I said this too when I first saw Harden this year. Roy is definitely a better passer and more patient with the ball, but Harden breaks down the game in the same methodical manner I see Roy does as well. I know others have said he reminds them of Manu, but Manu is a lot flashier as well as athletic. Pierce is also a good comparison, but a lot of his game hinges upon him being bigger than his defender and post ups.

Agreed, if you're in a pinch Roy's capable of filling in at the 1, Harden probably never will be. But he has the same ability to work off the ball as Roy then once he gets his defender to commit either take it to the rack or dish off the double. I haven't watched Harden until this year, so I can't really judge his work ethic, but when you come in as complete as he already is and with his knowledge of the game, it says a lot about future aspirations. His skills w/ the ball remind me a bit of E'Twaun Moore, except, y'know, he cares about who wins the game.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #30
timlush
I brick open layups

Surprised no one has mentioned Terrance Williams. He is VERY athletic and I think will be a very good all around NBA player. Maybe even a future all star once he develops his shot.
timlush is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: