Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Sacramento Kings Forum

Sacramento Kings Forum Sacramento Kings forum - Sacramento Kings message board

Old 10-05-2006, 06:40 AM   #1
BradMiller52
Kings fan

BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far
Default Fresh start, same goal for Kings forwards(Bee article)

Fresh start, same goal for Kings forwards
By Joe Davidson - Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:00 am PDT Thursday, October 5, 2006
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C1

Print | E-Mail | Comments (0)

Two power forwards, one job.

Two veterans with different skills accustomed to starting for years at the "4" position, one common desire to be "the man" again.

But whether it's Shareef Abdur-Rahim bringing his ability to score or Kenny Thomas and his thirst for rebounds and inside scoring, the Kings know they have a wealth of talent at the position.

"We have proven veterans there," shooting guard Kevin Martin said. "It doesn't matter who gets the job. Kenny and Reef are both starters. It's the best power-forward combination in the league."

The Kenny-Reef debate is a replay of the last training camp. Both still covet the job, true to their drive and their years of starting status serving as résumé reminders. Coach Eric Musselman has made no promises, except that the job dangles for the taking.

Other candidates include veterans Corliss Williamson and newcomer Maurice Taylor, both longtime NBA starters, and a handful of long shots who at least covet a roster spot and that NBA paycheck.

Musselman has met with every player on his roster to go over roles, expectations, goals. He understands that players at this level have needs and desires, be it to start, to play a certain amount of minutes or to have a certain number of touches on offense. He wants his players to feel that they have worth, and that someone's listening.

"I've had more meetings already than I've had in a year," Musselman said. "We seek them out to come see us. Communication is vital."

And in Thomas and Abdur-Rahim?

Same theme. The "4" spot, please.

Abdur-Rahim and Musselman went to lunch to talk before the start of camp. Thomas had a late-summer dinner at Musselman's house. He brought dinner rolls and a menu of reasons why he should retain his role of starter.

Both shared the role last season. Abdur-Rahim had the nod early, then went down because of a broken jaw in December. Thomas reclaimed the starting spot he had during the second half of the 2004-05 season after coming West as part of the Chris Webber trade with Philadelphia.

Thomas played too well to be benched (averaging 9.1 points and 7.5 rebounds last season), and the Kings played too well down the stretch to tinker with the mix.

Abdur-Rahim admitted as much Wednesday.

Still ...

"I feel like I'm the starter," said the veteran who averaged 12.3 points and 5.0 rebounds. "That wouldn't be me. I don't think it'd be genuine to say it didn't matter to me. This is my 10th year in the league, and for 9 1/2 years, I've been a starter.

"To say I don't expect to start or didn't approach camp thinking that, that'd be lying."

Thomas said he appreciated the chance to meet with Musselman.

"I still feel the same way (about starting)," he said. "It's what I've grown accustomed to. Coach likes the things I can do on the floor. When we met, I made some points. It was like talking to a friend. It was a great conversation. I didn't sugar-coat anything. He knows how I feel."

The free-agent signing of Taylor provides added depth to the position, though he may play mostly backup center. There's also Williamson, an 11-year veteran who can play either forward spot. And rookie roster long shots Louis Amundson of UNLV and Justin Williams of Wyoming, who hope they're not just here for practice fodder.

"Competition is healthy," Musselman said. "If you're in a comfort zone and you're not pushing each other, it's not a good thing. We went to lunch between practices, and our staff said, 'Wow, what a great competition. Kenny and Reef going at each other.' "

Musselman said it's far too early to make an announcement. But so far, good results.

"They've both done a good job for us," he said. "Mentally, they're in a good space."

About the writer:
The Bee's Joe Davidson can be reached at jdavidson@sacbee.com.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:42 AM   #2
BradMiller52
Kings fan

If Kenny wins the spot can anyone else see Reef getting unhappy and demanding a trade? I like the guy even though it might not seem like it, but if it is going to effect him that much emotionally I think he might do it. I feel like he's better with an Antonio McDyess role for us, while Kenny starts because K-9 can get the putback dunks, hustle points, double doubles, and he's the best frontcourt defender we have IMO.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
Perezident
Kings>>>Clippers

Perezident has no real reputation yet.

for musselman's sake he better make Reef da starter....because kenny will be traded and Reef is a better scorer....and could be a better rebounder...once given minutes....ummm but i would give kenny this... he's a phenom. hustler and is athletic...but to be smart..make Reef the start 4 2 reasons
1. hes a better all around player hands down and when the offense becomes lil stagnant...he can prove much need offense
2. b4 he starts actin like a big baby..not wantin to preform comin off the bench to prove a point....and then we are forced to trade him to denver for k-mart and then automatically kenny will be benched
Perezident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perezident
for musselman's sake he better make Reef da starter....because kenny will be traded and Reef is a better scorer....and could be a better rebounder...once given minutes....ummm but i would give kenny this... he's a phenom. hustler and is athletic...but to be smart..make Reef the start 4 2 reasons
1. hes a better all around player hands down and when the offense becomes lil stagnant...he can prove much need offense
2. b4 he starts actin like a big baby..not wantin to preform comin off the bench to prove a point....and then we are forced to trade him to denver for k-mart and then automatically kenny will be benched

The reason I feel like he's a better fit off the bench is because he can come in when the offense gets a little stagnant and they can go to him 3-4 times in a row and get some points.

Scenario 2 is what I'm worried about...

I don't see how we'll trade Kenny, it's not like there's a big market out there for 6'7'' PFs.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #5
Targus™
Good college starter

Targus™ has an OK reputation so far

kenny thomas will not get traded anytime soon. Nobody is going to want to take on the kind of contract he has right now...
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:43 PM   #6
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus™
kenny thomas will not get traded anytime soon. Nobody is going to want to take on the kind of contract he has right now...
but packaging him with two expiring contracts, could make teams take him
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:58 PM   #7
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
but packaging him with two expiring contracts, could make teams take him

We still wouldn't get equal talent back unless we got back another starting PF. Right now Kenny is the only thing keeping us from being the worst rebounding team in the league. We might be able to get KMart Sr. for him but we still have the same starting frontcourt problem. Actually Kenny+Patato+All heart no game works for KMart Sr. straight up.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #8
Targus™
Good college starter

Targus™ has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMiller52
We still wouldn't get equal talent back unless we got back another starting PF. Right now Kenny is the only thing keeping us from being the worst rebounding team in the league. We might be able to get KMart Sr. for him but we still have the same starting frontcourt problem. Actually Kenny+Patato+All heart no game works for KMart Sr. straight up.

if they got kenyon martin i'd probably shoot myself where it hurts the most
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:47 PM   #9
Perezident
Kings>>>Clippers

Perezident has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
lol now why would u wanna do sumtin like that....i rather kenyon ne day...shoots i rather start jamal sampson than have kenny on my roster....
to show u how much i think this guys sucks...i'd give the all down the stretch to jason hart...to make the game winner with him being double teamed than give the ball to a wide open kenny...the guy sucks...i dislike him strongly...he's a cry baby with big lips who can onli rebound...and thats not even a great attribute...because if u put his stats (rebs) around guys like gerald wallace sir charles..(who is 6'3)... kenny looks like a luke ridnour in the paint...better yet he looks like earl boykins...NO OFFENSE EARL :).... kenny thomas is a loser...i'm ready to trade him to atlanta for a roster spot...so we could just go with SAR and MO...or even trade him for Tyrone Lue to back up bibby...some cash n a second round pick....
Perezident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:51 PM   #10
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Quote:

Assuming his knee is healthy(and from all reports it should be) why wouldn't you want KMart Sr. who can block shots, defend the post, hit a mid range J, and dunk all over people.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:09 PM   #11
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMiller52
Assuming his knee is healthy(and from all reports it should be) why wouldn't you want KMart Sr. who can block shots, defend the post, hit a mid range J, and dunk all over people.
is he really healthy this yr?
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:51 PM   #12
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
is he really healthy this yr?
Should be, he came back from microfracture surgery MUCH better than any other NBA player in recent history besides Kidd and Randolph. Shot his best FG% ever. 13/6 in 27 minutes last year with a sore knee. He should've gotten more rest last year but with all of Denver's injuries...

Anyway yeah I remember reading some articles that said his knee is fine now, he's willing to smooth his problems over with Karl, and he's reporting to training camp. Seriously I remember reading a bunch of stuff that says he's going to be healthy. I'll see if I can dig it up later.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: