Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
starface
Banned

Default Leftwich close to signing with the Buccaneers..

Quote:
Leftwich visit more than meet-and-greet?
There's a chance Byron Leftwich's visit to Tampa might result in a permanent stay.

We've learned Leftwich and the Bucs are engaged in earnest talks that could result in the free-agent quarterback signing a contract with Tampa Bay.

Leftwich visited with the Redskins last week but hasn't been mentioned much since the start of the free-agency period. Last season, he served as a backup for the Steelers -- a team coached by Bucs coach Raheem Morris' best friend: Mike Tomlin. Don't underestimate that connection.

Ok, so my long offseason wait may finally be over soon and I'll know which team I'll need to start following daily.

Also, if the Bucs get Leftwich to throw to Antonio Bryant and Kellen Winslow, and possibly Percy Harvin, just call the AFC South off. Bucs will win it with ease.
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Default Re: Leftwich close to signing with the Buccaneers..

You're way too high on him.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
-primetime-

hmm...well this is his chance if it happens...

also, I am hearing that some expect the Redskins to draft Sanchez...

I guess they might have given up on Campbell...
Old 04-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
DirtBag
Hero's Herald

Dam* he was a helluva back up for us last season.
DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

I sure hope they get him, I love Leftwich big fan of him.. I think he'd do great if he won the job in camp with the other 4 QBs they have.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBag
Dam* he was a helluva back up for us last season.
And that is all he will ever be. A good backup.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
NOHCP3
Pelican Brief

*NFC South

that team collapsed last year.... but theres a reason why Leftwich is still on the market.. hes inconsistent. He looked good around a really good Steelers team. He deserves an oppurtunity but idk if thats the right place for him.
NOHCP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

I still think he never got a fair shot with Jacksonville. Guy has talent. Zero mobility, but in the right system, he can do the job for someone.

How many QB's is Tampa up to now? I don't really keep up to them, but it seems like they snap up QB's like they are going out of style.

Going to college at Ohio University, I remember him when he played for Marshall, which was a rival of ours back when they were in the Mid American Conference. He had the heart of a lion. Teammates had to drag him to the line of scrimmage on a few occasions. He would just post sick numbers and they would basically just go out there and slaughter the opposition. That GMAC bowl was one of the greatest football games I think I've ever seen.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

Leftwich is serviceable. He's not mobile and has a very slow release. Aside from that he is a winner and his teammates feed off his leadership. If the Bucs still had a dominant defense he'd have a bigger impact but unfortunately their defense is in rebuilding mode but the offense looks good on paper with the additions of Ward and Winslow. I'd rather have Leftwich starting than Garcia, that's for sure.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #10
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

I'm definitely the biggest Bucs fan here and I think we will surprise a lot of people even though we're "rebuilding" and I'm one of the few who believes Luke McCown can get it done.

And the Bucs play in the NFC South, not the AFC. And the Bucs aren't drafting Percy Harvin. Harvin is just another Reggie Bush overrated talent who's a great kick returner. The Bucs will draft look for a DT first, then if all the good ones are gone, I'm sure they'll look at Darius Heyward-Bey, Hakeem Nicks or Josh Freeman.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:22 PM   #11
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

I also just saw this:

"Byron Leftwich left another city empty-handed.

Five days after a visit with the Redskins failed to produce a contract, the free-agent QB departed Tampa without a deal from the Buccaneers, the St. Petersburg Times reports:

Now we’re hearing its unlikely the Bucs will sign Leftwich but they are committed to adding a fourth quarterback and wanted to evaluate him."

So he left today without a contract, but its still a small possibility.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #12
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

He's a good backup just like David Carr. Smeh, hope he does good in Tampa though he has some weapons. Say they do draft Harvin and have Bryant/Winslow that's pretty sick
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Quote:
TAMPA, Fla. - Byron Leftwich is leaving behind his backup role on a championship team with hopes of starting in Tampa Bay.

The Buccaneers signed the free-agent quarterback to a two-year deal Monday.

Leftwich, heading into his seventh NFL season, was a backup for Ben Roethlisberger with the Steelers last year and threw for two touchdowns and a 104.3 rating in a limited role. He'll get $7.5 million over two years for the Bucs, who also re-signed one of their reserve quarterbacks, Luke McCown, to a three-year deal earlier this year.

Leftwich spent four seasons as the starter in Jacksonville, which selected him in the first round (seventh overall) in the 2003 draft out of Marshall. He was the second quarterback drafted in 2003 behind Carson Palmer by Cincinnati.

He became Jacksonville's starter, replacing Mark Brunell, after four games when Brunell hurt his elbow. Leftwich threw for 2,819 yards, 14 touchdowns and 16 interceptions and the team went 5-11.

But the Jaguars improved to 9-7 the next year and 12-4 in 2005, making the playoffs for the first time in six years. Leftwich missed the final five games that season with a broken ankle.

He was cut by the Jaguars in favor of David Garrard in 2007 and joined the Falcons, but was not re-signed by Atlanta after making two starts, and headed to the Steelers last August after backup quarterback Charlie Batch was lost for the season.

Tampa Bay did not re-sign last year's starter, Jeff Garcia, who now is with Oakland, but has veteran Brian Griese, second-year QB Josh Johnson, plus McCown and now Leftwich on its roster.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...,4311695.story
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #14
-primetime-

Here is a rumor I got off another site:

Quote:
NFL Network's Michael Lombardi reports that there's an "80-85 percent chance" that Tony Gonzalez will be dealt to the Falcons this offseason.

Lombardi says Gonzo has already cleared his Chiefs locker in anticipation of a deal. The Chiefs lost their second-round pick in February's Matt Cassel trade and are reportedly willing to send Gonzalez to Atlanta for the No. 55 overall pick. Gonzo recently turned 33, but obviously can still play. He caught 96 passes for 1,058 yards (11.0 YPC) and 10 touchdowns in 2008.

Rotoworld

didn't think it was worth it's own thread, so I will just throw it in here...

looks like Tony G. might end up being a Falcon...that would be a great pick up for them...
Old 04-13-2009, 10:35 PM   #15
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

When the greatest tight end of our ERA is about to be traded it's certainly worth another thread. This isn't Alge Crumpler or Jeremy Shockey we're talking about here.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: