Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #226
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yes, they're a great refular season team with all that hitting but if you've been paying attention the past 7 years there not much of a World Series favorite.

I'm a Red Wings fan, I know all about crushing the regular season only to choke in the playoffs because you don't have playoff players which in hockey would be tough defense and a goalie and baseball would be pitching.

Teams like the Twins, Tigers, White Sox, Angels, A's all have the young pitching and farm systems allowing them to compete for it all in the future. And teams like the Tigers and Whitesox, I'm not sure about the Angels, have the money to match a big name player or two.

Obviously the Yankees are oging to compete and be in the playoffs for years to come with that lineup. But I don't get, after getting thumped again with pitching, how Yankees fans think everythings cool and they can just go out and buy pitching, because unless they snag Zito or the Asian in a dry year for free agents when other teams can spend just as much for a single player I don't see it.

Last edited by DeuceWallaces : 10-08-2006 at 02:30 PM.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:54 PM   #227
SCY
Put yr guns up

SCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputation

Quote:
But I can look at a ton of NL pitchers who come over and have a lot less success (Beckett/A.J.), and on the flip side I can look at aging AL pitchers who go over there and light it up (Pedro).

The NL should be easier to pitch in, but you still see statistical examples of the opposite. How about Kevin Millwood leading the AL in ERA, Dan Haren becoming a good pitcher over there. Or the prior members of the A's Big Three, Mulder and Hudson, being mediocre after being all-stars in AL. Too many factors affect pitching to count on a league change changing a guy's performance.
SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:00 PM   #228
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I guess since they pretty much know they'll be in the playoff hunt every year, there's a good chance to win it all... even if they haven't done it in several years now. Probability wise, they're probably the safest bet to the make the playoffs and thus have a good shot at winning it all every year... to a veteran like Schmidt that might be a clincher along with the money. God this all sucks when you consider I'm a Jays fan and there is almost no chance of making the playoffs even though they have a good team.

Over the past few years it just shows how the playoffs are simply about getting on a big run at the right time. End of the season momentum means nothing, regular season records matter little, just getting hot and lucky at the right time and you're gold. Look at the Mets, they somehow swept their series with one of the worst playoff rotations I've seen in a while.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:06 PM   #229
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

Yankees need to avoid overpaying someone like Schmidt.

Pavano, Wright, Weaver, Randy Johnson, Vazquez, Irabu, Contreras, list goes on and on...
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #230
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Vazquez is the only one who was similar talent-wise but Schmidt is much more proven.

Pavano and Wright were giant mistakes going coming off rare good seasons in contract years, hmmmmmm.

RJ was one year older, over 40 and heading to the AL. He gave them one good year as well but cmon, this wasn't exactly a good move either.

Schmidt is still pitching well, still has good K rates, doesn't give up many hits and while he is 34, I don't see why signing him to a 2-3 year deal would be that bad.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:27 PM   #231
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Vazquez is the only one who was similar talent-wise but Schmidt is much more proven.

Pavano and Wright were giant mistakes going coming off rare good seasons in contract years, hmmmmmm.

RJ was one year older, over 40 and heading to the AL. He gave them one good year as well but cmon, this wasn't exactly a good move either.

Schmidt is still pitching well, still has good K rates, doesn't give up many hits and while he is 34, I don't see why signing him to a 2-3 year deal would be that bad.

On paper it seems like a fit, but the Yankees have made so many bad big money pitching signings recently that I just can't see it working out. And you also have to figure in the power difference between the 2 leagues.

But yeah, Schmidt is the best pitcher of that group.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #232
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

NL is a joke, that's how the Mets can do it.

It hasn't even been about being hot. Just having reliable pitching. Those are the teams that went. Tigers finished the season losing 5 straight. They were hot? No. They have reliable pitching.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:46 AM   #233
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'd lean more to reliable pitching then I would how hot you are going into the postseason. I dont think its like football. Now sure what the discussions are going on in here...someone drop the subjects ongoing.

As far as Detroit...props to them, thier fans (Duece) for sticking with that lousy team over the years. Maybe its me but i think the team should be talked about more. When i watch sports channels they dont get much attention. I mean come on its the friggin Detroit Tigers. Havent done diick since the Sparky days. They just dominated the Yankees this series and proved so many wrong from claiming sweep, series over, GOAT lineup (I'll take big red machine thank you). I wont pretend i saw Tigers winning. I didnt. Swore thier hitting would be exposed and a lack of puttng up runs would get them.

I dont know who will win the WS. I think its just an open race.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: