Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #31
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The Wire

OMG, PRINTING MONEY = INFLATION. GENIUS!

Quote:
The Federal Reserve, by not acting, allowed the money supply as measured by the M2 to shrink by one-third from 1929 to 1933. Friedman argued[15] that the downward turn in the economy, starting with the stock market crash, would have been just another recession. The problem was that some large, public bank failures, particularly that of the New York Bank of the United States, produced panic and widespread runs on local banks, and that the Federal Reserve sat idly by while banks fell. He claimed that, if the Fed had provided emergency lending to these key banks, or simply bought government bonds on the open market to provide liquidity and increase the quantity of money after the key banks fell, all the rest of the banks would not have fallen after the large ones did, and the money supply would not have fallen as far and as fast as it did.[16] With significantly less money to go around, businessmen could not get new loans and could not even get their old loans renewed, forcing many to stop investing. This interpretation blames the Federal Reserve for inaction, especially the New York branch.[17]

Quote:
The decrease in the money supply led to the deflation that raised the real interest rate to extraordinary levels. Those high real interest rates collapsed investment purchases leading to the declines in production and employment; i.e., the Depression.

Thus the blame for the Great Depression lies firmly with the failures of the Federal Reserve. This is a blame not only because the Fed did not take counter measures to forestall the economic decline but also that the Fed's actions precipitated the decline in the money supply.

Once the Depression was developed the money supply was increased but that did not end the Depression. Once a balloon is punctured it is not easy to re-inflate it.

Educate yourself. Letting the money supply drop will cause another great depression.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #32
slevin6zer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan
OMG, PRINTING MONEY = INFLATION. GENIUS!
Yes, it does. And Wiki agrees with me
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation

So does this guy.
http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/ec...ses-inflation/

And this lecture from a Econ class that was posted online from NYU.
http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~nroubini/NOTES/CHAP6.HTM

This site as well.
http://economics.about.com/cs/money/a/print_money.htm

Eww, eww this one too.
http://www.investopedia.com/articles...monetarism.asp

Neither does MSN.
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...Inflation.aspx

Newspapers are always false too.
http://sundaytimes.lk/080224/FinancialTimes/ft336.html

Need I go on?

So, who really needs to educate themselves? No one said anything about letting the money supply drop. I was talking about printing more money to pay what we owe. If we did that we'd end up borrowing money from China or Dubai. This would double our national debt and bring down, employment, the price of the dollar, the cost of living, and so on. Really son, I haven't been to sleep yet, and this is Econ 101 stuff again. Please don't try and start a pissing contest with me, you'll lose.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #33
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

You're so dumb. I said that because it is ****ing obvious that it will cause inflation. And your first post didn't say printing money to pay our debts. All you said was printing money. So stop googling useless links that no one is going to click. Everyone ****ing knows it causes inflation. Reading comprehension 101 is what you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slevin6zer0
What we should do is just keep spending, then even print more money so the dollar's value will decline even more throughout the world!
See? no mention of paying debts. Moron
Old 04-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #34
slevin6zer0

Quote:
You're so dumb. I said that because it is ****ing obvious that it will cause inflation. And your first post didn't say printing money to pay our debts. All you said was printing money. So stop googling useless links that no one is going to click. Everyone ****ing knows it causes inflation. Reading comprehension 101 is what you need.

Sarcasm is lost online. A brilliant scholar as yourself should know that. And what did you think we'd print money for? Just to have more? C'mon man, I'd figure you'd be smarter than that. I even alluded to it with the spending part.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #35
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

The Wire = best show ever on the telly...

(LOL @ telly)
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #36
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Sarcasm is lost online. A brilliant scholar as yourself should know that. And what did you think we'd print money for? Just to have more? C'mon man, I'd figure you'd be smarter than that. I even alluded to it with the spending part.
SO THE MONEY SUPPLY WOULDN'T DROP LIKE IVE SAID IN EVERY POST IN RESPONSE TO YOU. You are only reading what you want to. Stop posting you've already embarrassed yourself in enough.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #37
slevin6zer0

Quote:
SO THE MONEY SUPPLY WOULDN'T DROP LIKE IVE SAID IN EVERY POST IN RESPONSE TO YOU. You are only reading what you want to. Stop posting you've already embarrassed yourself in enough.
AND I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THE MONEY SUPPLY DROPPING YOU ****ING MORON! I was simply talking about inflation and how printing money was a bad idea. You spout off about me not knowing economics, because I was making fun of the idea of printing more money. You were way off base with that comment. I should have spelled everything out so dumb ****ing idiot **** rags like you understand what I am saying. God dam you are dumb man. Please. Stop acting like you know more than me about anything, or you will continue to look like the fool you are.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #38
slevin6zer0

You have to be a liberal huh? Probably love the idea of spending more money, printing more money, and getting us into an even bigger debt.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #39
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
AND I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THE MONEY SUPPLY DROPPING YOU ****ING MORON! I was simply talking about inflation and how printing money was a bad idea. You spout off about me not knowing economics, because I was making fun of the idea of printing more money. You were way off base with that comment. I should have spelled everything out so dumb ****ing idiot **** rags like you understand what I am saying. God dam you are dumb man. Please. Stop acting like you know more than me about anything, you will continue to look like the fool you are.
You dumbass. Printing money is not necessarily a bad idea, and this is the last time I'm telling you. AND SINCE IT DIRECTLY RELATES TO THE MONEY SUPPLY, THAT IS OBVIOUSLY RELEVANT. Did you read the stuff I quoted earlier? Or was it too much for you?

Quote:
You have to be a liberal huh? Probably love the idea of spending more money, printing more money, and getting us into an even bigger debt.
And you must be a neoconservative. Talking out of your ass on issues you have absolutely NO IDEA about.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #40
lazerface
everything must go

lazerface is a pretty well-respected posterlazerface is a pretty well-respected posterlazerface is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
what's your plan??
lazerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #41
slevin6zer0

Quote:
You dumbass. Printing money is not necessarily a bad idea, and this is the last time I'm telling you. AND SINCE IT DIRECTLY RELATES TO THE MONEY SUPPLY, THAT IS OBVIOUSLY RELEVANT. Did you read the stuff I quoted earlier? Or was it too much for you?

And you must be a neoconservative. Talking out of your ass on issues you have absolutely NO IDEA about.
Printing money is a horrible idea. It is going to **** this economy up even worse than it already is. Obviously, you didn't read any of my links, little too much for you boy? I gave a very real scenario of what could happen with printing more money at a time like this, but I forgot to include another depression. And no, I am not a neoconservative. I'm a Libertarian. Ron Paul was my candidate. He'd be a lot better than the "rockstar" we have in there today.

Last edited by slevin6zer0 : 04-13-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #42
slevin6zer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerface
what's your plan??
Not the stimulus package for damn sure. Like my man RP said, it's going to turn the recession into a depression. More government spending though. Please Hussein Obama!
Old 04-13-2009, 03:50 PM   #43
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Not the stimulus package for damn sure. Like my man RP said, it's going to turn the recession into a depression. More government spending though. Please Hussein Obama!
Why don't you start a thread about how much you dislike Obama and I will be happy to debate you on this topic. It makes no sense to hijack a perfectly good thread.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: