Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 04-13-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
Vinsanity850
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Vinsanity850 has an OK reputation so far
Default Yi vs. Anderson

Thought this was an interesting read.

http://www.netsdaily.com/blog/?p=693

On a per 40-minutes basis, Yi has averaged 15.0 points and 9.2 rebounds. He is shooting 38.9% overall and 35.0% from deep. His high game is 27. Putting aside the 40-minute stats, in his best five game stretch, in January, Yi averaged 14.2 and 7.4.

On a per 40-minutes basis, Anderson has averaged 14.9 points and 9.3 rebounds. He is shooting 39.5% overall and 35.9% from deep. His high game is 21. Putting aside the 40-minutes stats, in his best five game stretch, in April, Anderson averaged 12.2 and 5.8.

Yi’s agent, Dan Fagen, has pointed to Yi’s solid performance when given minutes (30+) and shots (10+).

In the 10 games Yi has played 30-plus minutes and taken 10 or more shots, he has averaged 17.5 points, shot 47 percent, 40 from 3-point line, and 7.3 rebounds,

In the six games Anderson has played 30-plus minutes and taken 10 or more shots, he has averaged 18 points, shot 50 percent, 46.1% from the 3-point line and 8.5 rebounds.

Bottom line: Statistically, there is no real difference between what they have given the Nets…and neither has given them a lot.
Vinsanity850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
iDunk
RF.IS.CA.AB.TC.JS.AS

iDunk has a terrific reputationiDunk has a terrific reputationiDunk has a terrific reputationiDunk has a terrific reputationiDunk has a terrific reputationiDunk has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Yi vs. Anderson

Anderson is more reliable.

Yi just cant make a shot, period.
iDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:16 AM   #3
Vinsanity850
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Vinsanity850 has an OK reputation so far

not according to the stats.
Vinsanity850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:35 AM   #4
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

this issue is being debated at the other forum as well and started when yi's agent made that utterly ridiculous public statement that the nets were somehow holding yi back.

as for those stats, i would like to point out that anderson has had a tougher role than yi. 99% of players prefer to start because their minutes and teammates on the floor are more stable, and that almost always leads to better stats. yi has started almost the whole season while anderson has been used in a variety of roles, starting and off the bench, and sometimes not playing at all. it's much harder to produce equal stats in that situation.

also, anderson is a rookie while yi is a 2nd-year player. and what i'd like to see is if you compare their stats by month per 48 minutes, do anderson's numbers generally go up? because i would imagine they would. which would support anderson's numbers (again) having more value than yi's.

last, how would you say they compare on defense? ...which mostly doesn't show up in stats.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
iDunk
RF.IS.CA.AB.TC.JS.AS

iDunk has a terrific reputationiDunk has a terrific reputationiDunk has a terrific reputationiDunk has a terrific reputationiDunk has a terrific reputationiDunk has a terrific reputation

Well I see Yi block more shots then Anderson usually. Although Anderson takes more charges and allows his body to get thrown on the ground (Jason Collins with offense). He's a much better rebounder that Yi too.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

oh yea, i see that yi averages .6 blocks a game while anderson averages .3 blocks a game.

meanwhile, jason kidd averages .5 blocks per game(!)
Old 04-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
iDunk
RF.IS.CA.AB.TC.JS.AS

Yi's more athletic than Anderson.

Anderson is a better all around player though. He does the little stuff and rebounds better.

Yi:

PPG 8.7
RPG 5.4
APG 1.0
SPG 0.5
BPG 0.6
FG% 0.385
FT% 0.769
3P% 0.345

Anderson:

PPG 7.3
RPG 4.6
APG 0.8
SPG 0.6
BPG 0.3
FG% 0.394
FT% 0.848
3P% 0.364

Stats don't tell you everything. Yi averages about 6 minutes more than Anderson.

Last edited by iDunk : 04-14-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
gyu
Good college starter

gyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputation

I have been EXTREMELY disappointed with Yi this season. I was expecting good things from him since I thought they'd get the ball more playing alongside VC and Harris who are more willing to pass the ball than Redd and Mo were. He played well in the pre-season and decent at the start of the season but has been TERRIBLE, AND SCRUBBISH, throughout the season overall
gyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:34 AM   #9
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Kiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation here

They both suck. I'd pick Anderson over Yi since Anderson understands that he's not supposed to take shots when he can't make a shot.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Yi is clearly the better talent, Anderson is the harder player and worker. Both have their merits and their faults and are not solutions at the PF spot.

Analysis on Yi

Yi's problem is that he just does not know where to be on offense and defense. I'll start with offense, he does only two things: hover at the three point line or set a useless pick for his teammates. His ability to rotate, screen and roll is really killing his offensive talent. I do not know if this stems from lack of basketball IQ or he's some sort of barrier of communication between the coaching staff and him. It's very frustrating to see because Nenad had exploited holes very well in his time here and was able to run pick and rolls and screen and rolls so beautifully.

On defense Yi has no position to guard. He's too weak for PF and too slow for SF. I've seen actual defensive skills that can be useful though. His lateral movement is something that can improve greatly on and he has great length. His timing is way off on shot blocking and he has a Yao-like tendency of not being strong enough in the middle. He'd could be great in guarding tweener forwards if he commits to defense because they seem to be the direction of the NBA. Guys like Dirk, Beasley, etc.

On Ryan Anderson:

On offense, he has the same problems as Yi. He likes to hover around the three point line and his shot is streaky. He runs the pick and rolls and screen and rolls a bit better, but he doesn't explode after his picks. He does however, go after offensive boards a lot more and it has proven itself very valuable at times. However, in doing so does also get run out by his man in transition.

On defense, Ryan also struggles not being able to guard either forward spot and I do not think he has the capabilities to ever do so. He does also get at the rebounds on the defensive end to make up for it.

If we were to develop talents, I'd take Yi easily. But it'll come with a lot of adjustments. He really is the opposite of Yao in demeanor and swagger. Yao seems to be more overt, gregarious, and ultimately more competitive. Yi is an introvert and acts stoic most of the time. Yao progressively became more aggressive and fierce over the years, I wonder if Yi even has that in him having rarely seen emotion from him.

However as of now I still go with Ryan Anderson. His problems extend from skills, but his character is not an issue. It's easier to improve on fundamental skills than it is character.

Josh Boone is somebody that I also hope will be an answer for us. If we just told him to focus on rebounding and blocking shots, I wonder how good he can be. I really see a Ben Wallace player in him and he already is taller. Why can't he average a 8/12/3 blocks? I understand his liability on of the offensive and and free throw, but I'd take the chance of he can be a Ben Wallace like player.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #11
gigantes
A piece of fluff

great post, mister wang. repped.

i get to watch the nets so seldom on all but crappy internet streams that i need help from others to understand all that's going on. next season it's league pass for sure- it's too frustrating otherwise.

side note: great to see yao come out of the gate so well last night. i feel bad for all the pounding his long body takes with the extra summer league play, so it's awesome to see the rockets using him the way they should. (as opposed to ron artest or someone throwing up a bunch of bad threes...)
Old 04-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #12
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Before he came to the league, all I heard about Yi was how athletic he was, and how he dunks on people and all that. Then I see him playing with the Nets, and all he is is a set shooter. He never uses his supposed athleticism to get to the rim and finish. Very annoying. Yi needs to stop being soft and take it to the hole.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:47 PM   #13
gyu
Good college starter

gyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan
Before he came to the league, all I heard about Yi was how athletic he was, and how he dunks on people and all that. Then I see him playing with the Nets, and all he is is a set shooter. He never uses his supposed athleticism to get to the rim and finish. Very annoying. Yi needs to stop being soft and take it to the hole.
I agree, I've seen glimpses of what he could do back when he played in Milwaukee. He seems to have gotten worse overall this year, the only improvement I've seen is his 3pt shooting.

Here are some nice moves by Yi back in Milwaukee:

On Dirk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZYVH5zshRg

On Sean Williams:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOzjo...eature=related

Ever since he hit the rookie wall in January of his rookie year, he has never recovered .
gyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:01 PM   #14
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

To be fair, Yi isn't really given the plays to operate more than a catch and shoot player. Devin and Carter demand the ball so much all he really can do is rotate to open positions--which he doesn't really do well. And when he may have a lane, usually Brook rotates over for post position.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: