Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 04-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #16
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Observations from a Nets game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
it's hard to believe people can say that with a straight face.
not you specifically, but there are so many people out there who think frank cost us a better season.

you know, like finishing sixth in the EC would have been worth being blown away by orlando and getting worse draft position for this spring? for what? i mean, wasn't this season the perfect opportunity to see if yi could make it in the NBA? there was absolutely nothing to lose and much to possibly gain by doing it.
The goal of the season was to win while rebuilding...we only accomplished half of that goal

Quote:
second, i have a very hard time believing frank wanted to start yi on his own merits.
no, the writing was on the wall when a near-star was traded for the boy. this was thorn's doing and nobody else's.
true...
Quote:
as for hassell, at least he's the team's best defender. IMO you can never go wrong giving heavy minutes to your best defender regardless of his offense. and let's be honest- bobby simmons did not exactly light the place up stats-wise. other than being statistically good at threes (but not able to shoot them in volume), what exactly does he give us? we all know that if the nets could be rid of him and his contract, he would be gone before this sentence was over.
I like Hassell's D, but I also like they way Jarvis and Bobby impacted the game from the perimeter...Hassell didnt have to start to play...
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:17 PM   #17
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
The goal of the season was to win while rebuilding...we only accomplished half of that goal
but nobody in their right mind thought that this was going to be a winning team this year. frank and the team got us about 10 more wins than pretty-much every expert predicted.

Quote:
I like Hassell's D, but I also like they way Jarvis and Bobby impacted the game from the perimeter...Hassell didnt have to start to play...
i think if you look at the overall season, the three of them were played in various roles- either starting, subbing, or sitting. i don't remember any particular bias towards hassell- in fact he finished the season as a bench warmer.

MPG:
24.8 - hayes
24.4 - simmons
20.6 - hassell

hassell averaged by far the fewest minutes of the three.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:15 AM   #18
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
but nobody in their right mind thought that this was going to be a winning team this year. frank and the team got us about 10 more wins than pretty-much every expert predicted.
Well you are right...ESPN, SI, and other sites had the Nets at about 22-24 wins...Nets went 34. But just because people predicted that we were going to suck doesn't make them right.At one point the were 30-39, Nets looked to have a decent shot with Detriot slipping but He didnt capitalize and kept on starting Yi and Hassell.

Quote:
i think if you look at the overall season, the three of them were played in various roles- either starting, subbing, or sitting. i don't remember any particular bias towards hassell- in fact he finished the season as a bench warmer.

MPG:
24.8 - hayes
24.4 - simmons
20.6 - hassell

hassell averaged by far the fewest minutes of the three.
Well I was looking at the end of the season. The only reason Frank benched Hassell, was because he wanted CDR to have starting experience since the Nets were already eliminated from contention. I like Hassell, he brings D, but not every team has a good 2 or 3... I wouldnt mind if L put him in the lineup against stars, but if not start the better player(obviously not Trenton).
Old 04-17-2009, 12:59 AM   #19
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
Well you are right...ESPN, SI, and other sites had the Nets at about 22-24 wins...Nets went 34. But just because people predicted that we were going to suck doesn't make them right.
agree, but it was still the best guess from the best experts and one of the few impartial ways to measure how well a coach has done.

Quote:
At one point the were 30-39, Nets looked to have a decent shot with Detriot slipping but He didnt capitalize and kept on starting Yi and Hassell.
do you actually believe that he had any choice about starting yi?
as for hassell, he may have started (some) games, but simmons still got the lion's share of the minutes. simmons also started plenty of games.

i look at the larger picture- ever since teams adjusted to the harris-led offense, the nets were only about an average team offensively.

even if frank had gone against thorn's wishes and started anderson it still wouldn't have made that much difference. like i said, so what if we managed to finish sixth in a dream scenerio, only to be slaughtered by the magic? it was better that we stayed true to the rebuilding concept and got better draft picks IMO.

if anderson and simmons had started more games, AT BEST we would have played one playoff series before being bounced. then we would be getting worse draft picks and everyone would be complaining about how we should have beaten the magic or whoever. the fans are never happy unless you win a championship.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:06 AM   #20
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Quote:
agree, but it was still the best guess from the best experts and one of the few impartial ways to measure how well a coach has done.

do you actually believe that he had any choice about starting yi?
as for hassell, he may have started (some) games, but simmons still got the lion's share of the minutes. simmons also started plenty of games.

i look at the larger picture- ever since teams adjusted to the harris-led offense, the nets were only about an average team offensively.

even if frank had gone against thorn's wishes and started anderson it still wouldn't have made that much difference. like i said, so what if we managed to finish sixth in a dream scenerio, only to be slaughtered by the magic? it was better that we stayed true to the rebuilding concept and got better draft picks IMO.

if anderson and simmons had started more games, AT BEST we would have played one playoff series before being bounced. then we would be getting worse draft picks and everyone would be complaining about how we should have beaten the magic or whoever. the fans are never happy unless you win a championship.
What I bolded was what Kiki wanted to accomplish...Making the playoffs, you even admited we would've had a better chance to make the playoffs with tweaks to the lineup...Am I upset? No... I personally wanted to miss the playoffs ever since I saw what a dissapointment our D, and our Yi was...
I am just saying, Frank is the reason IMO, the nets did not accomplish what they wanted to this season making it a kinda lost season.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:19 AM   #21
gigantes
A piece of fluff

if vandy really wanted to accomplish sixth place then he could (with thorn's permission) have ordered frank to start start anderson and simmons. i see no reason to blame frank over that matter.

that's assuming starting anderson and simmons would have been worth a seven game improvement anyway. personally i doubt it.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: