Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-15-2009, 05:48 AM   #1
oh the horror
7-time NBA All-Star

Default The Nba Is Rigged!

Im extremely tired of this type of fan.

Would it be so far fetched to see the two top teams in the league meet in the finals this year without you complaining and thinking Cleveland vs LA was actually rigged? WHOA FOLKS, WHAT A LONG SHOT! THE TWO HOTTEST TEAMS MADE IT TO THE FINALS?? WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT EH?

Look, if you literally believe the NBA is rigged to this level, then why dont you do the rest of us a favor? Stop watching it, and go complain about the many other things in life that happen to piss you off.

This to me, is the worst type of fan.

I mean really....how many times must we hear about this person that watches, or supports a product, and then compains about it?
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:05 AM   #2
godofgods
Banned

Default Re: The Nba Is Rigged!

If you're tired of those fans, they're tired of the riggings as well. If the riggings don't stop, they won't stop complaining. The cycle goes on.
godofgods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
Local High School Star

I think the schedules are rigged in some way to favor certian teams. Thats as far as I can see the rigging going.
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

Well you have to realize a toss up call between Kobe and Roger Mason is going in Kobe's favor. Even if the ball was off Kobe, the ref is going to give it to the Lakers. It's a fact. I believe at the end of the day it wasn't the refs that put in all of Kobe's shots, but if the Lakers shoot 40 free throws to a teams 15 I have my suppositions. This has happened a lot in the past.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
niko
I Run NY.

It's always the same to me. If the league was rigged, there is no way the Spurs would have won so many titles. The spurs won a few times where it would have clearly benefited the league if they lost, and the Spurs / Pistons final was a nightmare scenario for the league, and yet, this keeps happening. If they could rig things you think Lebron would get swept by the Spurs? The second the Cavs lost game 1 the tv audience quit the finals. Is the league setting this up? It's counter intuitive to me.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
lilmarcgasol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
It's always the same to me. If the league was rigged, there is no way the Spurs would have won so many titles. The spurs won a few times where it would have clearly benefited the league if they lost, and the Spurs / Pistons final was a nightmare scenario for the league, and yet, this keeps happening. If they could rig things you think Lebron would get swept by the Spurs? The second the Cavs lost game 1 the tv audience quit the finals. Is the league setting this up? It's counter intuitive to me.
the answer to that is Popovich is a genius who can coach his way around the riggings against them from more exciting teams
lilmarcgasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

i don't believe the rigging issue is in black and white, but if you've watched the nba or sports long enough, obviously, there is favoritism in officiating all the time. there's a grey shade area. some fans see that grey shade as incompetence of referees, but if certain teams or players often get benefit of doubt and more respect in calls, then obviously, there's not an even ground level.

so does kobe get a lot of suspect calls for him? of course. does lebron? definitely. same with wade or any big name, but that's just the nature of "superstar" calls and it's been happening since jordan's time, magic's time, bird's, and probably even wilt, who never fouled out once in his entire career. top names are protected, and as a result, their teams get an advantage.

but is rigging so fixed that games are decided before they are even played? i don't think it goes that far. it's not so fixed that it's completely either black or white. but there is grey. the little advantages and favoritism here and there that happen during the game do happen. that's just how it is.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
stephanieg
College superstar

If the league was rigged that much then New York would have won the lottery and drafted LeBron.
stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
artest 93
Local High School Star

I'm not too concerned on the issue. It's whatever.

But if you think that just because the Spurs were able to win a few rings can be the main reason why it's an impossibility the NBA is rigged, then you're stupid.

Simple as that. You can't rig everything even if you wanted to. Even though the public may be dumb, there are limitations.

MJ didn't win a finals every year so he wasn't favored by the refs!!!

You see where your logic ends? You should go back to school.
artest 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
lilmarcgasol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieg
If the league was rigged that much then New York would have won the lottery and drafted LeBron.
No it's more rigged for Cleveland to get the #1 pick the year that their hometown hero from Akron and savior of basketball Lebron is in the draft, yeh sure Cleveland tanked for the pick but didnt they only have a 5-9% chance to get it anyways? Happened again with Chi town getting the 1 pick and drafting hometown hero Rose, sure those might just be coincidences, or it's what Stern does to revive flagging franchises. Watch as New York gets an amazingly high pick this year.

And for games being decided before they play, I dont think its that explicit, much more subtle for example memos from the league 'pay more attention to Leon Powe, he gets alot of contact on offense' or 'Yao seems to be using his elbows too much, watch out for that' they dont just blatantly say 'Atlanta will win this game do whatever you can to get them the win', its just little subtle things

Last edited by lilmarcgasol : 04-15-2009 at 09:13 AM.
lilmarcgasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #11
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

in terms of the lottery, what i would like is to have the actual ping pong balls be dropped live when it happens and have everyone see who gets what as it happens on live tv instead of waiting for the envelopes.

not sure why they don't do that.... unless they have something to hide from the public.

not accusing anything nor making any conspiracies. i have no evidence of anything. however, i'm sure it would terminate all questions or doubts if they just did it openly and gave visibility to everyone. it's that total secrecy that gets people to wonder what's really going on.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #12
stephanieg
College superstar

One thing which is rigged: length of playoff series. More playoff games = more money. Not that the ultimate outcome is determine beforehand, but what should be a 4 or 5 game series might go to 5 or 6 instead. Heavily biased towards the home team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmarcgasol
...their hometown hero...

If the Thunder get Blake Griffin then I'll but seriously, Stern would rather have LeBron in New York than Cleveland, unless he didn't think he'd be that good maybe.
stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmarcgasol
the answer to that is Popovich is a genius who can coach his way around the riggings against them from more exciting teams

you can't coach your way around cheating. their have always been a few moments in series with the spurs which if they went against them, they would lose. and they don't. there was even the suns series where they just could not have suspended the suns, or the game where nash wasn't allowed back in hte game because his nose was bloody, etc. each time the spurs got FAVORABLE referee decisions.

total fail. you are just a lebron hater, get over yourself. you are in this topic to hate on cleveland and the topic isnt even about them. how cleveland barely loses a game 7 to boston when the league is cheating in their favor is beyond me. the refs just needed to make one call here or there. did they forget to cheat?
Old 04-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #14
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
in terms of the lottery, what i would like is to have the actual ping pong balls be dropped live when it happens and have everyone see who gets what as it happens on live tv instead of waiting for the envelopes.

not sure why they don't do that.... unless they have something to hide from the public.

not accusing anything nor making any conspiracies. i have no evidence of anything. however, i'm sure it would terminate all questions or doubts if they just did it openly and gave visibility to everyone. it's that total secrecy that gets people to wonder what's really going on.

the knicks haven't gotten any of those favorable bounces in the last 20 or so years and there have been a lot of favorable bounces. things like Yao going to NY which would have been a bonanza for the league. Do you really think the league says "lets give the most popular guy to seattle where they can't even afford their team?"

again people, LOGIC. crimes require motives. Half of the things that people accuse the league of manipulating don't actually benefit the league. do you watch wrestling? does the fixed results lead to matchups that don't make money? that's essentially waht you are accusing the league of - cheating to hurt themselves.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #15
shawbryant
To be better

Whatever, Watching LA in the finals is enough for me.
shawbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: