Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 04-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #16
Rockbttm88
There is no dark side

Default Re: Has Lawrence Frank coached his last game as a Net? (decision will be made Tommoro

Rockbttm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:24 PM   #17
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Default Re: Has Lawrence Frank coached his last game as a Net? (decision will be made Tommoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
New Jersey Nets coach Lawrence Frank likely will return to his post next season, according to the New York Daily News.
Frank reportedly has the support of Nets owner Bruce Ratner as well as two of the team's biggest talents -- Vince Carter and Devin Harris.
Another factor that will likely keep Frank in place is the $4.5 million sum he's due next season. The Nets are losing $30 million per year, according to the Daily News.
The Nets missed the playoffs for the second consecutive season in 2009 and finished 34-48.
this is an outrage, blah, blah, blah.

i can't believe thorn can be so stupid and i'm tearing up next season's tickets, blah, blah, blah...
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #18
Rockbttm88
There is no dark side

$30 million a year??

If franchises start to fold/merge, we're gonna be the first to go. All thanks to Mr Ratner's ego.

Unless, of course....

Old 04-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #19
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

I knew economic reasons would be the reason Frank stayed. Not that it isn't valid though, given the circumstances.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #20
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Default Re: Has Lawrence Frank coached his last game as a Net?(Frank stays)

and frank's future is still up in the air...
Old 04-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #21
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

Quote:
Four and a half million bucks may not be enough to save Lawrence Frank.

In his first in-depth interview since Frank's job status became an issue several weeks ago, Nets president Rod Thorn said Wednesday that he will weigh several factors before deciding whether Frank will return next season, most importantly whether Nets players still respect the coach's authority.

Asked early in an approximately 30-minute session what factors he will use to make up his mind, Thorn said, "Is the voice still pertinent? Do I think the team will reach whatever its limitations are? Are we still headed in the right direction? Those type things."

Team sources told The News earlier this week that the $4.5 million on the final year of Frank's contract would likely save him from losing his job. Since the Nets are said to be losing upwards of $30 million a year and have recently laid off numerous employees - including 10 last week - it seems that paying two coaches at once would not be fiscally responsible.

And even though Bruce Ratner publicly endorsed Frank two weeks ago, the Nets owner also said he would go with Thorn's suggestion, even if it meant having to pay two contracts. In a Tuesday night meeting that included several high-ranking team officials, Ratner apparently delivered the same message to Thorn, who said Wednesday that finances will "not be an overriding factor" in his decision.

What will weigh heavily is whether Frank can still motivate the Nets after 5-1/2 seasons at the helm. Without revealing names, Thorn said he consulted with several players in recent days and will take those opinions into account. Publicly, both Vince Carter and Devin Harris supported Frank's return last week.

"You just look at the whole thing," Thorn said. "Have we gone as far as we can go with the way we are going or if we have a new voice, can it give us an infusion to go higher?"

Although a source close to Frank said the Teaneck, N.J., product doesn't believe he will be fired but will be on a short leash next season, two Eastern Conference officials said Thorn's concern about the players tuning out Frank is a significant admission and potentially a bad sign for the coach.

"This is the first time that Rod has gone public with that," one of the sources said. "Rod has always been Lawrence's biggest supporter. But this looks like the first sign that Rod is changing. Privately, the Nets have been saying in recent days that there was no way that Lawrence was going to get fired because of the economics. This indicates there could be a change in that thinking."

"Bringing back Lawrence isn't as cut and dried as it was a few days ago," one of the sources said.

Thorn also made several comments that suggested Frank might be safe. He said he was generally pleased with how competitive the team was despite gloomy pre-season predictions - the Nets weren't eliminated until Game 78 - and that he thinks the development of younger players such as Brook Lopez, Chris Douglas-Roberts and Ryan Anderson went well.

Told that the delay in his decision could be interpreted as Frank being in trouble, Thorn said it shouldn't be.

"I just want to be sure in my mind," he said.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba..._thornier.html

Looks like both Vince and Devin want him back next season.
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:32 PM   #22
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

I don't see why not. Frank really lets them do whatever they want out there. I want a system guy, someone who is stricter in demanding results. It sometimes kills me to see Devin and Carter laughing it up at the end of the bench when we're down in games.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #23
gigantes
A piece of fluff

from nets daily:
Quote:
Originally posted by Net Income

Some random thoughts on the Frank debate...

--As I have noted in the past, the Nets free agent signings and draft choices were quite dreadful between 2004, when Frank was hired, and this past summer. The palette Frank had to work from was quite dry and broken. Ron Mercer, Rodney Buford, Jeff McInnis, Lamond Murray, Marc Jackson, Zoran Planinic, Christian Drejer, Mile Ilic, Tamar Slay, Travis Best, Jerome Moiso, Jabari Smith, Awvee Storey, Billy Taylor, Linton Johnson, Scott Padgett, Bernard Robinson, Hassan Adams and Marcus Williams (at least for now) are all out of the league. Not retired, out of the league. And we haven't even mentioned Jamaal Magloire, Sean Williams, etc.

--Also, as noted, there is not one example of a player leaving the Nets during this time frame and then taking off somewhere else. The reverse is true. That should tell you something as well. Eddie House came back after being twice injured while a Net. Richard Jefferson and Jacque Vaughn continued to play well after leaving, but the rest have fallen off and in most cases, done so dramatically.

--Several journeymen have had career years with the Nets. Mikki Moore led the league in field goal percentage, but both before and after his year with the Nets, he did nothing of any importance. Kidd and Carter get a lot of credit for finding him open and getting him the shots he needed to win that title. Who devised those schemes? And who did Moore come over to the Nets bench to publicly thank during the Kings' first visit to the IZOD? The same holds true for Boki Nachbar...not to mention that Keyon Dooling and Jarvis Hayes had career years this season...and have credited Frank. Bobby Simmons has done better than he has done since suffering his foot injury two years ago. Let's not forget that the Magic dumped Dooling, the Pistons dumped Hayes, the Bucks dumped Simmons. They didn't think they were worth keeping.

--He has also coaxed leadership from Vince Carter and aggressiveness from Devin Harris and smartly hired two hard-working NBA vets as assistants to work with the rookies: Doug Overton and Roy Rogers. Rogers has done unappreciated work developing Brook Lopez and Ryan Anderson and for a while, rehabbing Sean Williams' game. (Some fans think that the Nets should hire Patrick Ewing to work with Lopez, citing the work he did with Dwight Howard and Yao Ming. Really, Dwight Howard's offensive game has developed under Ewing? He has developed post moves and learned not to rely solely on his natural gifts?)

--Frank has a hell of a lot more integrity than most NBA coaches. He doesn't trash players publicly. That's a good thing. The only case where I can recall him doing so was Marcus Williams, who was sulking about losing his heir apparent status after the Kidd trade. Did you EVER hear him trash Sean Williams publicly? Why not? Because maybe he understands what that would do to his psyche...as a human being. What he does behind the closed doors of the practice facility is simply not known to the average fan. He makes for lousy copy. Too bad.

Bottom line...a lot of critics don't like Frank because he doesn't look like an NBA coach, doesn't have the same style of, say, a Michael Curry or Reggie Theus or Michael Cooper, etc. etc. He's not tall like Marc Iavaroni. But remember this: he is 37 years old and has won 225 NBA games. When Greg Popovich who barely played at the Air Force Academy was 37 he was coaching at Pomona-Pitzer College. The Nets have invested a lot in HIS development. It would be a dumb business decision to dump him now. If he is fired, he will have a job within weeks, quite possibly in this division.
interesting points.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #24
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Those points are silly.

The reason Mikki and Boki had career seasons is because they played with a motivated HOF PG.... the reason Jarvis and Dooling had good seasons is because of the big chunk of PT...
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:30 AM   #25
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
Those points are silly.

The reason Mikki and Boki had career seasons is because they played with a motivated HOF PG.... the reason Jarvis and Dooling had good seasons is because of the big chunk of PT...
tell him yourself if you believe what you wrote:
http://www.netsdaily.com/forum/viewt...art=120#p25466
Old 04-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #26
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

While there is a certain validity and truth to his points; overall Frank's coaching demise has been his inability to coach at the end of games. His inability to space out his timeouts, draw out plays, when to/not to foul, etc. All the close games we won came with Vince making some huge play.

I want to re-iterate that I do not think he's a bad person or a bad coach, just that after 6 years maybe it's time for a change. I think he has improved over the year, particularly this year he's utilized his bench better but overall I don't know how many more close games I can take us losing. It was ok this year because we were trying to get a high lottery pick, but if the team were to return in tact, I'm sure they'll be chasing playoffs.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #27
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
Those points are silly.

you walked the talk and took it right to the poster. respect +1, repped.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:22 AM   #28
gigantes
A piece of fluff

so finally it's official- frank stays.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #29
Rockbttm88
There is no dark side

From today's Home News Tribune:
Quote:
"In my mind, Lawrence Frank is a very good coach. The players understand he knows what he is doing and they play hard for him." - Rod Thorn

Quote:
"Working for Rod is very easy, what you see is what you get.." - Lawrence Frank

(I'm sure it is easy. I wish I could perform my job as sh*tty as he does and make $4.5 million next year)
Quote:
"If you get rid of a good coach, you have to get a good coach." - Thorn

Old 04-30-2009, 06:59 PM   #30
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
you walked the talk and took it right to the poster. respect +1, repped.
Thanks. I wonder why he never responded though
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: