Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Atlanta Hawks Forum

Atlanta Hawks Forum Atlanta Hawks message board - atlanta hawks fan forum

Old 12-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
martinas23
Serious playground baller

Default When will Speedy Claxton retire?

He hasn't played for two years. Has a nagging knee injury and hawks need to have $5mill on their salary cap. If he would retire hawks would have some freedom to sign players because now they are in the luxury tax (based on espn). Do you think he should retire?
martinas23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
Maniak
TJ Warren

Default Re: When will Speedy Claxton retire?

Hes my favorite Hawk.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
idizzle
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinas23
He hasn't played for two years. Has a nagging knee injury and hawks need to have $5mill on their salary cap. If he would retire hawks would have some freedom to sign players because now they are in the luxury tax (based on espn). Do you think he should retire?

I think if he doesnt get on the court around the all-star break or before the end of the season is over he should take a medical retirement and that way it covers 80% of the Speedy's contract and it won't count against the Hawks salary cap.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

I never understood why fans always view the NBA as "fans". They can never atleast attempt to view things from a different perspective, and put themselves in the shoes of the player.

Okay, let me try and break it down:

You have a job that pays you well, and you support your family with this job. You get injured on the job, and worker's compensation is still paying you your full salary. But some people are complaining saying you should retire, because the company can't afford to hire another person until you get off the worker's comp by retiring or take only 80% of your salary by accepting the severance package.

Does that analogy make it any easier to understand why this makes no sense?
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
idizzle
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
I never understood why fans always view the NBA as "fans". They can never atleast attempt to view things from a different perspective, and put themselves in the shoes of the player.

Okay, let me try and break it down:

You have a job that pays you well, and you support your family with this job. You get injured on the job, and worker's compensation is still paying you your full salary. But some people are complaining saying you should retire, because the company can't afford to hire another person until you get off the worker's comp by retiring or take only 80% of your salary by accepting the severance package.

Does that analogy make it any easier to understand why this makes no sense?

I get what you saying but the dude was suppose to be the PG to help turn the Hawks around but he hasn't done anything. If he can still play, I say he should play but he should go to another team or just retire cause he's had like 2 different types of surgeries on the same knee. He's 30 and just like in the NFL with RB's once you had 30 you start to decline and if your the type thats always hurt like he is its time to give it up. I can actually say that I've been in a situation like this where I was always hurt at something I loved to do and it just got to the point that I was always getting hurt and as much I loved doing what I was doing you just have to know when its time to hang it up. I wish Sppedy the best of luck and that he can play and contribute to the Hawks. The times he played in GS and NO he was killing them.

Last edited by idizzle : 12-23-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

My guess is that he'll sit on the bench and wait out the rest of his current contract with the Hawks, then test the free-agent market, and if no one offers him a contract he'll retire.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
StaxMan
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
My guess is that he'll sit on the bench and wait out the rest of his current contract with the Hawks, then test the free-agent market, and if no one offers him a contract he'll retire.

Precisely. Well put.
StaxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #8
franchise#3
Local High School Star

He finally played two games at the end of the season, his stats 7.5mpg, 2.5ppg and 1.5 app. Well I think he can provide acie law with some motivation to improve over the summer.
franchise#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
idizzle
Good college starter

He played in the last 2 games and he looked okay. Since Acie is still injuried he will probably get the minutes he been waiting for.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: