Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #31
Bean
Local High School Star

Bean is a pretty well-respected posterBean is a pretty well-respected posterBean is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: OK, Seth McFarlane, we f*cking get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
you either have never had a good steak or have weak taste in animated comedy.

It is the best in animated comendy that television currently offers alongside ATHF. Simpsons has been on the decline for about 6 years now. Family Guy and American Dad are one in the same. There is no storyline to each of the shows, just one random joke after another. If that's the jist of the show then all well and good, but it is not my cup of Hennessy.

South Park has matured like a fine wine with its mix of relevant storylines and low-brow comedy.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #32
Legendofthe718
Danze Manatee

Legendofthe718 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean
It is the best in animated comendy that television currently offers alongside ATHF. Simpsons has been on the decline for about 6 years now. Family Guy and American Dad are one in the same. There is no storyline to each of the shows, just one random joke after another. If that's the jist of the show then all well and good, but it is not my cup of Hennessy.

South Park has matured like a fine wine with its mix of relevant storylines and low-brow comedy.
What exactly is the storyline in athf, that show follows no kind of pattern whatsoever and once again simpsons was never all that great to begin with.
Legendofthe718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #33
JayGuevara
Hellbound

JayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

How is Aqua Teen Hunger Force great? I never found it very funny, with a few exceptions. One episode with Danzig comes to mind about the Cybernetic Ghost Of Christmas Past From The Future or some ****. That one made me laugh due to the sheer absurdity. But more often than not, I'm not amused.
JayGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #34
Rockbttm88
There is no dark side

Rockbttm88 has decent reputationRockbttm88 has decent reputation

The first 4 seasons of Aqua Teen were great. Now its borderline unwatchable.
Rockbttm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:36 PM   #35
Legendofthe718
Danze Manatee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGuevara
How is Aqua Teen Hunger Force great? I never found it very funny, with a few exceptions. One episode with Danzig comes to mind about the Cybernetic Ghost Of Christmas Past From The Future or some ****. That one made me laugh due to the sheer absurdity. But more often than not, I'm not amused.

That's the same **** I'm saying, the show wasn't funny at all. I don't see the greatness in it.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #36
Clifton
talk less, say more

Clifton is considered somewhat coolClifton is considered somewhat cool

Criticism of Family Guy is very weak. So the jokes don't necessarily relate to the plot- fine. If it's funny it's funny. People act like there's something so great about adhering to a plot. And people act like South Park and the Simpsons have such great plots that they're worth adhering to. These are shows that are usually funny, often dumb and occasionally very smart.

Which show you prefer basically depends on which show you grew up with. My brother doesn't like the Simpsons because he didn't grow up in the Age of the Simpsons like I did. I was growing up when the Simpsons were in their absolute prime. It's a part of my life history. I was exposed to it while it was happening and I was young and malleable and generally happy and had nothing else to worry about and so I'm biased towards it. It informed and reflected the culture I grew up in to a great degree.

But my brother grew up during they heyday of South Park and Family Guy and so he prefers those shows. And he's not wrong. And those shows are not unfunny. Period. They're just different. But if it results in people laughing, there's really no difference. The only difference is who's laughing. And when it's one animated comedy show with some satire elements vs. another vs. another, I don't think one is allowed to claim intellectual superiority over another. They're all low art and essentially dumb shows designed to waste time with, so snobbery really has no place.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #37
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Southpark is very overrated. Everyone in here was claiming how funny the Kanye episode was and I didn't laugh one time during the whole show. It was stupid throughout.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #38
Kungfro
Takeo Ischi

Kungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

South Park is hit and miss these days.
Kungfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #39
Killbot
KillImpaleLiquefyLynch

Killbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton
Criticism of Family Guy is very weak. So the jokes don't necessarily relate to the plot- fine. If it's funny it's funny. People act like there's something so great about adhering to a plot. And people act like South Park and the Simpsons have such great plots that they're worth adhering to. These are shows that are usually funny, often dumb and occasionally very smart.

Which show you prefer basically depends on which show you grew up with. My brother doesn't like the Simpsons because he didn't grow up in the Age of the Simpsons like I did. I was growing up when the Simpsons were in their absolute prime. It's a part of my life history. I was exposed to it while it was happening and I was young and malleable and generally happy and had nothing else to worry about and so I'm biased towards it. It informed and reflected the culture I grew up in to a great degree.

But my brother grew up during they heyday of South Park and Family Guy and so he prefers those shows. And he's not wrong. And those shows are not unfunny. Period. They're just different. But if it results in people laughing, there's really no difference. The only difference is who's laughing. And when it's one animated comedy show with some satire elements vs. another vs. another, I don't think one is allowed to claim intellectual superiority over another. They're all low art and essentially dumb shows designed to waste time with, so snobbery really has no place.

100% agree, especially about the plot. Who cares about the plot, when the show is funny?
Killbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #40
JtotheIzzo
The Future is Now

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Southpark is very overrated. Everyone in here was claiming how funny the Kanye episode was and I didn't laugh one time during the whole show. It was stupid throughout.

everybody finds it funny except you?

perhaps you are a real life Kanye?
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #41
Kungfro
Takeo Ischi

Kungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Does anyone remember those shorts McFarlane did on youtube? God were those awful.
Kungfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #42
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

South Park seasons 5-8 are pretty much un-fucking touchable.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #43
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Criticism of Family Guy is very weak. So the jokes don't necessarily relate to the plot- fine. If it's funny it's funny.
That would be great if Family Guy is funny. It isn't.

Better check whose criticism is "weak."
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #44
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean
Family Guy has never been funny and will continue to linger in the shadows of superior shows like South Park and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
I second this.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #45
Legendofthe718
Danze Manatee

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
That would be great if Family Guy is funny. It isn't.

Better check whose criticism is "weak."

Family guy is funny.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: