Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #136
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
Just finished Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami a couple days ago.

It was good. It's a book for VERY analytical readers. I feel a lot of it went over my head but I got the gist of it. Very dreamy and stream of consciousness at times. I have Norwegian Wood on order now. I'll get to that by the end of the summer.
Kafka on the shore was my introduction to Mr. Murakami. It was funny, my parents were also reading him at the same time, but in Chinese, so we didn't know we were reading the same author until they read a few pages of my book.

I then started a Murakami binge where I read Kafka, Wind up Bird Chronicle, Norweigan Wood, Wild Sheep Chase, Birthday stories, and half-finished Hard-Boiled Wonderland and After Dark.

Kafka is still one of my favorites, and the pseudo-reality that he places the reader in, where you aren't sure if you're dreaming or not, really appeals to me. You should definitely read Norweigan Wood, which is my all-time favorite.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #137
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
Kafka on the shore was my introduction to Mr. Murakami. It was funny, my parents were also reading him at the same time, but in Chinese, so we didn't know we were reading the same author until they read a few pages of my book.

I then started a Murakami binge where I read Kafka, Wind up Bird Chronicle, Norweigan Wood, Wild Sheep Chase, Birthday stories, and half-finished Hard-Boiled Wonderland and After Dark.

Kafka is still one of my favorites, and the pseudo-reality that he places the reader in, where you aren't sure if you're dreaming or not, really appeals to me. You should definitely read Norweigan Wood, which is my all-time favorite.

Werd. I can tell I'll be having a life-long fascination with Mr. Murakami. He writes so well. Like I said, I feel a lot of the imagery went over my head, but in a story such as Kafka on the Shore, I think that's true for a lot of people and was intentional on the authors part.

Wind up Bird Chronicle seems to be his masterpiece. I'll get to it eventually but at over 600 pages it's going to be a beast.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #138
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Werd. I can tell I'll be having a life-long fascination with Mr. Murakami. He writes so well. Like I said, I feel a lot of the imagery went over my head, but in a story such as Kafka on the Shore, I think that's true for a lot of people and was intentional on the authors part.

Wind up Bird Chronicle seems to be his masterpiece. I'll get to it eventually but at over 600 pages it's going to be a beast.
Wind up Bird has some slow parts, it definitely doesn't entice me to read it as much as Kafka did. Norwegian Wood is less dream-like, and could be a good contrast to bring things back to reality.

He's also written some good short stories and non-fiction stuff as well.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #139
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

What's your guys view on Hemingway?

Most people I talk to are either luke warm on him or outright can't stand him.

I, on the other hand, enjoy his work. For Whom the Bell Tolls is a top 20 book all time for me. The Old Man and the Sea is a great story.

Perhaps there's a dropoff after that, but those stories are all-era. A Farewell to Arms is good too though. Maybe he did too many short stories, which failed to leave anything impactful that tarnished his reputation a bit (specifically for readers of our generation).

I maintain the ending to For Whom the Bell Tolls is my favorite of all time along with the ending of Under the Volcano.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #140
Fatal9
owwwww

Fatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I haven't read that much Hemingway for some reason (read more Faulker and Fitzgerald). Only read two of his books (Old man & Sea was one of them). I have For Whom the Bell Tolls sitting on my desk right now, I bought it a couple of months ago so maybe that'll be the next book I pick up.

From what I've read, I enjoy reading him though he is no where close to being the best American author/novelist for me. I like his prose for the simplicity but at the same time it feels too dry and lacks the poetic quality of the other great novelists. I still haven't read his best works (sun also rises, fwbt) so I need to read him a bit more before coming up with a clear judgement. Women seem to hate the guy though and always accuse him for being a sexist
Fatal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:07 AM   #141
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
I think I will revisit some books when I'm in my 30's. Possibly have a family and a new perspective. Right now I don't feel like I'd learn anything new fromm books I've read in the last 7 years or so.

Plus, if I was to re-read a book, I'd just keep thinking "I could be reading something new right now."

Don't plan on it man. Not to be morbid or anything, but you may never reach your 30s. Either way you won't regret not re-reading anything.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:22 AM   #142
barne100
Good High School Starter

barne100 is considered somewhat coolbarne100 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
I've read Slaughterhouse-Five over 10 times and I ALWAYS find something new about it.

Billy Pilgrim FTW!
Slaughterhouse is my favorite book of all time.

If you haven't you must read Mother Night (about Campbell in SH5).
barne100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #143
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Life of Pi was great.The imagry was colorful and vibrant, and the adventure story was full of despondent notions.. which I love in literature..

I just downloaded the ebooks.. Tipping Point, Blink, and the third book by M.G. which's name escapes me...

To be honest though, I didn't read the case studies because I didn't have enough time in my book report. Book report aside, it was a great book and I'm thinking about reading it again.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:55 AM   #144
playtetris
soundcloud->solarcism

playtetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Have you read The Count of Monte Cristo, and if so, which did you enjoy more?

i preferred 'the count...' more. while it was a little more long winded, the depth of characters was far greater than in 'three musketeers'. i found that in 'the count...' there was a greater degree of pathos when he experienced loss, whereas in 'three musketeers' it was pretty facile. the resolution of 'three musketeers' didn't really give me a sense of satisfaction, either.

plus the depicition of the cannabis party on the island in 'the count' - in which the room was decked out like a scene from arabian nights - really caught my fancy.

re: hemingway. i tend to enjoy his writing. 'fiesta' is a personal classic. this may come across as slightly emo (hahah) but i can really relate to the premise of that book. the whole thing where you are so right, so perfectly suited for another person, but it never eventuates and ends up being for the most part unrequited. i guess timing is a b*tch.

re: murakami. i actually didn't enjoy 'norwegian wood' that much. i read 'dance dance dance' beforehand, and found that to be way more engrossing.
playtetris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #145
Fatal9
owwwww

Fatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Monte Cristo just doesn't hold as you grow up. I used to think it was the greatest book ever and then I revisited it couple of years ago and was rolling my eyes at the plot. Same thing with Oliver Twist.
Fatal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #146
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by playtetris
i preferred 'the count...' more. while it was a little more long winded, the depth of characters was far greater than in 'three musketeers'. i found that in 'the count...' there was a greater degree of pathos when he experienced loss, whereas in 'three musketeers' it was pretty facile. the resolution of 'three musketeers' didn't really give me a sense of satisfaction, either.

plus the depicition of the cannabis party on the island in 'the count' - in which the room was decked out like a scene from arabian nights - really caught my fancy.

re: hemingway. i tend to enjoy his writing. 'fiesta' is a personal classic. this may come across as slightly emo (hahah) but i can really relate to the premise of that book. the whole thing where you are so right, so perfectly suited for another person, but it never eventuates and ends up being for the most part unrequited. i guess timing is a b*tch.

re: murakami. i actually didn't enjoy 'norwegian wood' that much. i read 'dance dance dance' beforehand, and found that to be way more engrossing.

Ya, the Count would be creepiest, yet coolest person ever in real life with regards to that scene an many others. lol

I actually read the book after the much watered down movie (the recent one, which wasn't bad for what it was) and was disappointed the ending wasn't the same (being the romantic I am j/k ). I never read up on Dumas, but I want to know what happened to him to write such an epic revenge plot. lol

As for Charles Dicken in general, I can't read him. Impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Don't plan on it man. Not to be morbid or anything, but you may never reach your 30s. Either way you won't regret not re-reading anything.

Why wouldn't I reach my 30's? I'm not Travis Pastrana. lol

Last edited by i seen hippos : 05-14-2009 at 12:30 PM.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:52 AM   #147
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

great book
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:02 AM   #148
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Currently reading this:

MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:05 AM   #149
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
its stellar... youll enjoy...
so far so good
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:14 AM   #150
Thugnificent
Can't Lose

Thugnificent has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
What's your guys view on Hemingway?

I, on the other hand, enjoy his work. For Whom the Bell Tolls is a top 20 book all time for me. The Old Man and the Sea is a great story.

+1

One of the best, "The Son also Rises" is a wonderful novel, probably the best first novel ever, maybe "Sister Carrie" can compare to it. His short stories are also brilliant.
The prose is very clear, I like how he explains everything with such simplicity.
On the other hand, some characters and dialogues are not too convincing, still he is one of the greatest.
Thugnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: