Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #1516
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness
 
Jailblazers7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 23,294
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7


About 2/3's of the way through. Fairly interesting bio but the pious tone of her writing is wearing on me.

My major gripe with the book was that she glossed over a ton of her actual life which makes for a somewhat odd autobiography. There are instances where she will be discussing a time in her life and she will just drop something like "and there was a man I was in love with for 2 years" at the end of a sentence. Some of that stuff is what I'd like to hear about and the book isn't all that long so she could have expanded it more and made it a more intimate text.

Day was very humble in the presentation of her life, well at leaast as humble as you can be while writing an autobiograhpy lol. She was extremely well connected and drop names like Trotsky and Kerensky as people she met just randomly in the course of a normal day.

Peter Maurin was the most interesting part of the book for me. I would love to read an enitre biography dedicated to him.

Now moving on to:
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #1517
Nike_jumpman_23
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Nike_jumpman_23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 197
Default Re: What are you reading?

I can't remember the last time I read a good book.

I read for hours a day, but just not books.

I would need for someone to suggest a good novel to me probably.
Nike_jumpman_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:14 AM   #1518
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets
 
magic chiongson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South
Posts: 4,250
Default Re: What are you reading?

just finished this:



kinda disappointing, and i find the 9/11 references annoying/out of place. it wasn't supposed to have happened in the ryanverse
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:21 AM   #1519
irondarts
.
 
irondarts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,423
Default Re: What are you reading?



Finally broke down and bought it, love it so far.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:26 AM   #1520
Scientist
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: E. Los Angeles
Posts: 855
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts


Finally broke down and bought it, love it so far.

Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #1521
irondarts
.
 
irondarts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,423
Default Re: What are you reading?

A book that i'm reading ?
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #1522
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba
 
rufuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 21,566
Default Re: What are you reading?

Just started reading this



Pretty good so far.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #1523
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,337
Default Re: What are you reading?

so, just finished mccarthy's child of god. WHat an insanely good writer that guy is that he can make you feel empathy for a necrophile hillbilly. Damn, what a good and quick read.


I am now reading his book, The outer dark.

Before these books I had pretty much only read his later novels (which tend to focus on the west/texas), whereas his first 4 or so are all set in TN and surrounding environs. He is cementing himself as my favorite living author.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #1524
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?
 
Lebowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,561
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
so, just finished mccarthy's child of god. WHat an insanely good writer that guy is that he can make you feel empathy for a necrophile hillbilly. Damn, what a good and quick read.


I am now reading his book, The outer dark.

Before these books I had pretty much only read his later novels (which tend to focus on the west/texas), whereas his first 4 or so are all set in TN and surrounding environs. He is cementing himself as my favorite living author.

Funny, I read Child of God last week. Needless to say I loved it.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #1525
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,337
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky
Funny, I read Child of God last week. Needless to say I loved it.
yep, I picked it up from the library that day after you recommended it.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #1526
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?
 
Lebowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,561
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
yep, I picked it up from the library that day after you recommended it.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #1527
Bean
Local High School Star
 
Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,331
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
so, just finished mccarthy's child of god. WHat an insanely good writer that guy is that he can make you feel empathy for a necrophile hillbilly. Damn, what a good and quick read.


I am now reading his book, The outer dark.

Before these books I had pretty much only read his later novels (which tend to focus on the west/texas), whereas his first 4 or so are all set in TN and surrounding environs. He is cementing himself as my favorite living author.

co-signed. loved blood meridian, some great elements of that book. finished all the pretty horses awhile ago and still looking forward to finishing the other books of the trilogy.



about 1/3 of the way through this. he's a terrrrrrific writer, albeit a slow moving one. every review i've read(and there are lots, this book was hella hyped round the time of it's release) comments on how un-likable the characters are, but so far i am loving the dad for some reason.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #1528
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,337
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean
co-signed. loved blood meridian, some great elements of that book. finished all the pretty horses awhile ago and still looking forward to finishing the other books of the trilogy.



about 1/3 of the way through this. he's a terrrrrrific writer, albeit a slow moving one. every review i've read(and there are lots, this book was hella hyped round the time of it's release) comments on how un-likable the characters are, but so far i am loving the dad for some reason.
Yeah, BM is my favorite (currently have it on cd, but I am not really a book listener). The crossing is the best of the trilogy and all the pretty horses might be the weakest (though still an incredible book). I still have never made it through the movie version of it. Cities of the plain (?), the last one, is also great.

At this point, the only ones I havent read are suttree and the orchard keeper (which is apparently so faulkneresque that its a little untrue to him, though I will withhold judgement until I actually read it).
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #1529
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,337
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
Yeah, BM is my favorite (currently have it on cd, but I am not really a book listener). The crossing is the best of the trilogy and all the pretty horses might be the weakest (though still an incredible book). I still have never made it through the movie version of it. Cities of the plain (?), the last one, is also great.

At this point, the only ones I havent read are suttree and the orchard keeper (which is apparently so faulkneresque that its a little untrue to him, though I will withhold judgement until I actually read it).
I actually read Confession of a Rogue by sam chamberlin, which is the only written source (in english anyways) for information about the glanton gang. All the end of the blood meridian is true and judge holden is a real person, though there is no real record of him outside of that book.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #1530
Bean
Local High School Star
 
Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,331
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
I actually read Confession of a Rogue by sam chamberlin, which is the only written source (in english anyways) for information about the glanton gang. All the end of the blood meridian is true and judge holden is a real person, though there is no real record of him outside of that book.

i actually had a few false starts with reading BM before i finished it cover to cover. it was the slow moving pace, violence and super descriptive language that got me. still though, within the last few years i don't think i have encountered a character as intriguing and downright brilliant as judge holden. the chapter with the expriest describing how the gang met him in the middle of the desert and holden saving them from the savages, is just gold (Hush now. The man will hear ye. He's ears like a fox.) just great writing.

speaking of movie adaptions, i see there has been a supposed remake of BM in the pipeline for years now. i don't see how they could pay it true justice if it was a hollywood release although i hope to held mistaken.,
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:20 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy