Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #1531
Bean
Local High School Star

Bean is a pretty well-respected posterBean is a pretty well-respected posterBean is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
so, just finished mccarthy's child of god. WHat an insanely good writer that guy is that he can make you feel empathy for a necrophile hillbilly. Damn, what a good and quick read.

I am now reading his book, The outer dark.

Before these books I had pretty much only read his later novels (which tend to focus on the west/texas), whereas his first 4 or so are all set in TN and surrounding environs. He is cementing himself as my favorite living author.

co-signed. loved blood meridian, some great elements of that book. finished all the pretty horses awhile ago and still looking forward to finishing the other books of the trilogy.

about 1/3 of the way through this. he's a terrrrrrific writer, albeit a slow moving one. every review i've read(and there are lots, this book was hella hyped round the time of it's release) comments on how un-likable the characters are, but so far i am loving the dad for some reason.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #1532
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean
co-signed. loved blood meridian, some great elements of that book. finished all the pretty horses awhile ago and still looking forward to finishing the other books of the trilogy.

about 1/3 of the way through this. he's a terrrrrrific writer, albeit a slow moving one. every review i've read(and there are lots, this book was hella hyped round the time of it's release) comments on how un-likable the characters are, but so far i am loving the dad for some reason.
Yeah, BM is my favorite (currently have it on cd, but I am not really a book listener). The crossing is the best of the trilogy and all the pretty horses might be the weakest (though still an incredible book). I still have never made it through the movie version of it. Cities of the plain (?), the last one, is also great.

At this point, the only ones I havent read are suttree and the orchard keeper (which is apparently so faulkneresque that its a little untrue to him, though I will withhold judgement until I actually read it).
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #1533
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Yeah, BM is my favorite (currently have it on cd, but I am not really a book listener). The crossing is the best of the trilogy and all the pretty horses might be the weakest (though still an incredible book). I still have never made it through the movie version of it. Cities of the plain (?), the last one, is also great.

At this point, the only ones I havent read are suttree and the orchard keeper (which is apparently so faulkneresque that its a little untrue to him, though I will withhold judgement until I actually read it).
I actually read Confession of a Rogue by sam chamberlin, which is the only written source (in english anyways) for information about the glanton gang. All the end of the blood meridian is true and judge holden is a real person, though there is no real record of him outside of that book.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #1534
Bean
Local High School Star

Bean is a pretty well-respected posterBean is a pretty well-respected posterBean is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
I actually read Confession of a Rogue by sam chamberlin, which is the only written source (in english anyways) for information about the glanton gang. All the end of the blood meridian is true and judge holden is a real person, though there is no real record of him outside of that book.

i actually had a few false starts with reading BM before i finished it cover to cover. it was the slow moving pace, violence and super descriptive language that got me. still though, within the last few years i don't think i have encountered a character as intriguing and downright brilliant as judge holden. the chapter with the expriest describing how the gang met him in the middle of the desert and holden saving them from the savages, is just gold (Hush now. The man will hear ye. He's ears like a fox.) just great writing.

speaking of movie adaptions, i see there has been a supposed remake of BM in the pipeline for years now. i don't see how they could pay it true justice if it was a hollywood release although i hope to held mistaken.,
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #1535
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

That seems to be a commonplace among McCarthy's critics. The edition of Child of God I read came with a little intro, mainly a brief bio of the author and a short analysis of his stile and body of work. Well, it wasn't more than 10 pages long and I swear "Faulkner" or "faulkneresque" was written about 7-8 times. By the way, that book made me very curious about the landscape of that particular area.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #1536
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky
That seems to be a commonplace among McCarthy's critics. The edition of Child of God I read came with a little intro, mainly a brief bio of the author and a short analysis of his stile and body of work. Well, it wasn't more than 10 pages long and I swear "Faulkner" or "faulkneresque" was written about 7-8 times. By the way, that book made me very curious about the landscape of that particular area.

He's much better than Faulkner. I'm born and raised in the American South and believe me to say anything bad about Faulkner is to say you don't like God, but I hate Faulkner. I've always thought of him as a poor man's James Joyce. Contrived and full of shit.

McCarthy, on the other hand has evolved into the most important contemporary writer of our time, imo. If you follow his works you see a teller of fantastic stories to a teller of fables to a witness of the human experience under extraordinary experiences. His works follow you in your conscience long after you've read them.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:02 AM   #1537
ZeN

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin - 10/10

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #1538
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Old 04-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #1539
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
My major gripe with the book was that she glossed over a ton of her actual life which makes for a somewhat odd autobiography. There are instances where she will be discussing a time in her life and she will just drop something like "and there was a man I was in love with for 2 years" at the end of a sentence. Some of that stuff is what I'd like to hear about and the book isn't all that long so she could have expanded it more and made it a more intimate text.

Day was very humble in the presentation of her life, well at leaast as humble as you can be while writing an autobiograhpy lol. She was extremely well connected and drop names like Trotsky and Kerensky as people she met just randomly in the course of a normal day.

Peter Maurin was the most interesting part of the book for me. I would love to read an enitre biography dedicated to him.

Now moving on to:

Cool anthropological study. It was surprising to read of some of the differences in the perception of McDonald's in Asia both symbolically and regarding dietary norms. McDonald's really capitalized on the post-Confucian family shift in Asia.

An update at the end (book was published in 97 and research was done in 94) made an interesting point about Cina, Korea, and Japan also having problems with aging populations that will be interesting to observe heading into the future.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #1540
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

5 zombie stories written by one author....pretty good so far.

glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #1541
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Could any of you american fellows recommend a good history book on the American Civil War?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #1542
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Last year my wife bought me this 3-volume set:

I just started the first book, which, at 800 pages is the smallest of the 3. Looks like this will occupy my reading time well into summer. What's on your night stand?

Also rufus, I remember you telling me this was a novel, right? How did you like it?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #1543
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm reading my own post.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #1544
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Also rufus, I remember you telling me this was a novel, right? How did you like it?

It's a "narrative history". Foote chronicles the entire conflict but uses more poetic license than a typical historian would. That being said it is still and exhausting work. At times fascinating and at times bogged down with minutiae.

My great, great grandfather was a commander in a regiment from Maine that marched with Sherman's army. He achieved the rank of brigadier general by wars end and died several years later in Little Rock, Ark. where he was assigned during reconstruction. I still have his sword, musket, a confederate battle flag he got at one of the battles, and a framed front page from the Brunswick, Maine paper announcing the attack on Fort Sumter. My family on my mother's side was also good friends with Joshua Chamberlain who figured prominently in the battle of Gettysburg and throughout the war. This combined with growing up in the South has made the war of particular interest to me.

In addition to Foote's work I've enjoyed biographies of Abraham Lincoln, Robert E. Lee and John Wilkes Booth. As far as fiction goes I recommend The Red Badge Of Courage by Stephen Crane and The March by E.L. Doctorow.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #1545
heyhey
stay mad golden state

heyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Could any of you american fellows recommend a good history book on the American Civil War?
http://www.amazon.com/April-1865-Mon.../dp/0060187239

check that book out. It's one of the few books with new insights into Civil War in recent years. The book profiles many of the important figures in the war and provides new narrative for the end of the conflict
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: