Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #1546
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
http://www.amazon.com/April-1865-Mon.../dp/0060187239

check that book out. It's one of the few books with new insights into Civil War in recent years. The book profiles many of the important figures in the war and provides new narrative for the end of the conflict

Quote:
There are a few books that belong on the shelf of every Civil War buff: James M. McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom, one of the better Abraham Lincoln biographies, something on Robert E. Lee, perhaps Shelby Foote's massive trilogy The Civil War. Add Jay Winik's wonderful April 1865 to the list. This is one of those rare, shining books that takes a new look at an old subject and changes the way we think about it. Winik shows that there was nothing inevitable about the end of the Civil War, from the fall of Richmond to the surrender at Appomattox to the murder of Lincoln. It all happened so quickly, in what "proved to be perhaps the most moving and decisive month not simply of the Civil War, but indeed, quite likely, in the life of the United States."

Definitely checking this one out. Thanks heyhey.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #1547
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Eat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation here

This. Just started today.
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:16 PM   #1548
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Im currently reading Michael Connellys' latest novel called 'The Fifth Witness'. Its the fourth novel in the Mickey Haller series (The Lincoln Lawyer). Im about 60% done with it and its turning out to be a decent legal procedural.. Its not a great novel but its a good read for a genre novel.

Im also in the middle of reading a couple of other novels. I had read half of 'The World House' by Guy Adams. Its a book about a house in an alternate dimension with an infinite amount of rooms that open up to anything from a mountainous region to a jungle.. For no specific reason I grew bored with it and haven't returned to it. The other novel is the second book in the Ice and Fire fantasy series called 'A Clash of Kings'. I have only read about 70 pages of that and plan to likely return to it, once I finish reading 'The Fifth Witness'. I kind of burned out on the Ice and Fire reading.. since the first novel was over 700 pages.. So I thought I would give the medieval-like time setting, a break.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:39 AM   #1549
SHEED_ gangsta
I know everything

SHEED_ gangsta has decent reputationSHEED_ gangsta has decent reputation

Dolphin Island by Arthur C Clarke a pretty good read.
SHEED_ gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:40 AM   #1550
SHEED_ gangsta
I know everything

SHEED_ gangsta has decent reputationSHEED_ gangsta has decent reputation

who here has read Watership Down? it's the best book I've ever read in my entire life..ever.
SHEED_ gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:42 AM   #1551
heyhey
stay mad golden state

heyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEED_ gangsta
who here has read Watership Down? it's the best book I've ever read in my entire life..ever.
I actually have. I didn't like the story because I really dislike allegories but it was an interesting concept
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:59 AM   #1552
BMore
Kids at the park dunk on me

BMore has an OK reputation so far

I recommend The Stand by Stephen King.. I'm sure some of you guys have read it. I'm about to read it again for the 3rd time
BMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:20 AM   #1553
Stinky Dog
Local High School Star

Stinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputation

Just finished 3 books:

UFO's by Leslie Kean - The most comprehensive collection of Government UFO documentation and first hand reports amongst very credible individuals (High ranking government officials, military personnel, etc.) The information that is presented is irrefutable and makes for probably the most important book ever written on the subject. I suggest any and all skeptics/debunkers read this book. 10/10

Bill Simmons Basketball Book - Obviously really enjoyable for anyone who is into hoops. 9/10.

The Wire: Truth Be Told - Excellent read for any fans of what's maybe the greatest contribution in cinematic history. 10/10
Stinky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #1554
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #1555
thebirdman
Kids at the park dunk on me

thebirdman is considered somewhat coolthebirdman is considered somewhat cool

a friend handed me this while were talking about something sciency and i'm so glad he did.

the book is predominantly satire, with much of being it a social commentary told in a very clever way- from the perspective of 'A Square' (the narrators name and shape), a mathematician living in a 2d world. it's incredibly imaginative and made only more amazing by the fact that it was published in 1884.

the latter part of the book is where the science is, as a visitor arrives to explain that there is actually a third dimension that he and the people of flatland are missing out on, which is no easy task. it's very basic science explaining a complicated topic, but don't be put of by simplicity because it's never really about the details, but the ideas. i thought the book was genius, cover to cover, you can pick holes in the 2d world he creates, but you'd wasting your time and missing the point. it's only 100 or so pages, go get it.
thebirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #1556
step_back
College superstar

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Finished "The Beach" by Alex Garland. Brilliant book!

Starting this sometime over the weekend.

"On the Road" by Jack Kerouac.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #1557
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Just finished Clockers by Richard Price. Wow insanely good book, one of the most epic stories i've ever read. 600 pages of awesomeness.

Now reading another novel by Richard Price:

irondarts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #1558
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat Like A Bosh
This. Just started today.

just finished that, excellent read, a little touchy feely but some good info.

I read Character Driven by Derek Fisher at the same time, same as above minus the touchy feely stuff, I couldn't put it down.

Barkley's I May be Wrong was funny

Picked up Pistol by Mark Kreigel, about Maravich, only on like page 20.

Also picked up Gommorrah, about the Mafia, haven't read anything except the back cover yet.

Anyone interested in reading Boardwalk Empire, I was disappointed a little, but gives you crazy perspective on Atlantic City, especially from the 40-60's

Hopefully I can find some good literature about segregation in the early part of the century, some historical perspective would be good for my mind.

Trying to read as much as I can before June, going back to school and full time work plus school is gonna give me no time to stimulate my mind with a good book.
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #1559
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

The zombie apocalypse continues in this sequel done in journal format:

glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #1560
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It was a wonderful book that felt so pure because of the innocence of Francie and her outlook on the world. The story was very touching and emotional because the writing was plain and simple (not a bad thing) and made the emotions of the moments seem very real. The book made me think of my childhood because all the feelings that Francie went through are something that's common in every childhood and for a few moments after everytime I put the book down I could see and feel things the way I used to when I was just an innocent little kid. Betty Smith did an incredible job and I absolutely loved it.

Another twinge of sadness that the book brought was that Smith said she wrote it how it should have been and not how it was. I can only imagine the alternatives where her's and Francie's stories probably diverged considering every rough spot in the book ended up with a happy/fortunate ending.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: