Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #1576
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Bout to read this:

It will be the first I've read from Frued other than some small exerpts so we'll see how it goes.

I really dig Freud even though i question the validity of his methodology quite often. If you want some freudian big picture stuff check out Civilization and Its Discontents. It's his seminal work where he tries to extrapolate his analysis of the individual to a diagnosis of society at large. My favoirte book from him.

you read so damn much lol. I mean it as a compliment.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #1577
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Yeah, I pretty much cut TV, with a few exceptions of course, and video games out of my free time to make room for reading lol. I'll have to check that one out. I actually went to Barnes and Noble to get this one because the used bookstore I go to mainly has fiction and they only had 2 works by Freud. Assholes lol.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #1578
pauk
NBA Legend

reading....? i'd rather jackoff a tiger in a phone booth

nothing is more depressing and boring than to read... unless its something that really interest me... like martial art books... books by bruce lee and so on... something that truly means.... books by great men..... not just some random ass "glory days" by wilhelmina wilhelmson shit.. i'd rather watch a movie instead...

Last edited by pauk : 04-25-2011 at 10:21 PM.
pauk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #1579
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
reading....? i'd rather jackoff a tiger in a phone booth

nothing is more depressing and boring than to read... unless its something that really interest me... like martial art books... books by bruce lee and so on... something that truly means.... books by great men..... not just some random ass "glory days" by wilhelmina wilhelmson shit.. i'd rather watch a movie instead...

Then maybe you should stay out of the "what are you reading?" thread.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #1580
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Then maybe you should stay out of the "what are you reading?" thread.

no shit, since wilhelmina wilhelmson writes great novels
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:30 AM   #1581
FourthTenor
Banned

excellent, loved it.
FourthTenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #1582
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Captain Atom: Armageddon - 8/10

Flash: Rebirth - 8/10

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #1583
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Been reading this for a while and finally finished. It contained Prufrock and Other Observations, Poems 1920, and The Waste Land.

Prufrock and other Obersvations contained some incredibly brilliant moments. The Love Song of Alfred J. Prufrock might be my favorite poem from him and bits and pieces of other poems were fantastic. Overall though the collection was inconsistent with great highs and some definite lulls.

Poems 1920 seemed to be more consistent overall and but it didn't have the same type of high moments Prufrock did. The collection seemed a bit dry and it felt like Eliot was stroking his ego during parts. My favorites here were probably The Hippopotamus or Whispers of Immortality.

The Waste Land was a masterpiece. It captured the desolation, isolations, and fears of the WWI time period and also reflected his own destruction as he wrote it while recovering from a nervous breakdown. It was dark and distant and had the type of presence and brilliance I'd expect from one of the most praised poems of the 20th century.

Some of the works were tedious because of the multiple references and obscurity of those references along with Eliot's language. However, I became accustomed to it over the length of the collections and it became less of an issue.

Last edited by Jailblazers7 : 04-30-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #1584
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #1585
step_back
College superstar

To Kill a Mockingbird

3 chapters in and so far so good. Not too wordy and have already built up an idea on the characters and surroundings.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #1586
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #1587
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

I'm an EE, but I've always wanted to take this class [statics] (and might), so I DLed the book and am reading/working the book. Last final is Tuesday, so will get to move faster through the book once I am done with finals.

And I'm also reading Eldest, the second book in the Eragon series, which is fantastic so far (about 400 pages through Eldest). Definitely recommend the series!

Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #1588
fiddy
HC4L

6.5/10

Not the best humor out there but definitely deserves a read. So quality life advices as well.

Quote:
Ive never spoken in front of a predominately African-American group, but Im ready; Im waiting on the NAACP to invite, Brother Terry, yo bro, lets give it up for the cracker from Louisiana
One of my favourite parts in the opening pages.
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #1589
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

The book was definitely slow in the beginning but the later half was very good and the ending was terrific. Some of the characters like Lucie and Charles were far too 2-dimensional. I understand Dickens used them more for an ideal of man and woman an...moreThe book was definitely slow in the beginning but the later half was very good and the ending was terrific. Some of the characters like Lucie and Charles were far too 2-dimensional. I understand Dickens used them more for an ideal of man and woman and noble naivety was a statement about how an upright and perfect man couldn't survive in an imperfect world but the rigidity of the characters were burdensome and took away from the book in my opinion.

However, there were many great moments and Sydney's ride to the Guillotine is one of the most memorable things I've ever read. His prophetic thoughts in the face of death gave the book some of the true sentimentality and emotion that the earlier parts of the book lacked.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #1590
kaiiu
Banned

Nothing.
kaiiu is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: