Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #1576
NastaMaverick
College superstar

Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by step_back
Finished "To Kill a Mockingbird" really worth reading. Throughly enjoyed it!

Going to start this tomorrow, only 120 pages so it should only take me a couple of days.
are these for school? seems surprising you're reading these for pleasure...not that they're bad books, but usually they make you read both of these in high school.
NastaMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #1577
step_back
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastaMaverick
are these for school? seems surprising you're reading these for pleasure...not that they're bad books, but usually they make you read both of these in high school.

I'm reading all the classics I didn't read in school. I could even re-read the ones I did study, I left school back in 03
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #1578
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I actually decided to go with this book by Freud first because I've been into reading about different views on religion recently. I can't say I'm a fan of his writing style against the "opposition" in this book. He gives some very weak arguments that he imagines the opposition will claim against him and proceeds to break them down. In doing this, it takes away from the work because it portrays his ideas in a very arrogant manner and creates a very subjective atmosphere. He still made a few attempts at objectivity but they don't overshadow the bias in his writing. And that isn't necessarily bad btw because it made for a more interesting read and he certainly didn't approach the topic with any timidity.

I think he touched on some interesting points and I don't disagree with some of what he said about the father-complex in religion and the fact that religion isn't needed to hold together the morality of society but he tended to oversimplify a very complex subject.

Last edited by Jailblazers7 : 05-09-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #1579
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7

I actually decided to go with this book by Freud first because I've been into reading about different views on religion recently. I can't say I'm a fan of his writing style against the "opposition" in this book. He gives some very weak arguments that he imagines the opposition will claim against him and proceeds to break them down. In doing this, it takes away from the work because it portrays his ideas in a very arrogant manner and creates a very subjective atmosphere. He still made a few attempts at objectivity but they don't overshadow the bias in his writing. And that isn't necessarily bad btw because it made for a more interesting read and he certainly didn't approach the topic with any timidity.

I think he touched on some interesting points and I don't disagree with some of what he said about the father-complex in religion and the fact that religion isn't needed to hold together the morality of society but he tended to oversimplify a very complex subject.

I think you will find a lot of Freud's writing is slightly antagonist and dismissive of the opposing view.

Much of mid 19th century german thought is characterized by a violent repudiation of previous ideas. this is most apparent in works of Nietzsche with his deconstructive attack on philosophy. But it's also seen in Freud and Marx. those three are often studied together

I'm gonna check out that Nick Hornby book Rufus loved high fidelity

Last edited by heyhey : 05-10-2011 at 12:06 AM.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #1580
irondarts

irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #1581
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #1582
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

About to start this tomorrow:

Translation by Richard Howard
Old 05-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #1583
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
I think you will find a lot of Freud's writing is slightly antagonist and dismissive of the opposing view.

Much of mid 19th century german thought is characterized by a violent repudiation of previous ideas. this is most apparent in works of Nietzsche with his deconstructive attack on philosophy. But it's also seen in Freud and Nietzsche. those three are often studied together

I'm gonna check out that Nick Hornby book Rufus loved high fidelity

Yeah, it was my first taste of Freud so it caught me a bit off guard. It was an interestting read but I think i'll be more prepared the next time I read his works. I'm anxious to get into his more popular works.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #1584
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystallas

I'm almost done with it. It's pretty good, and I can recommend it.
I stopped reading it about 30 to 40 pages in due to the language used.. the slang kind of grated on me.. I hope to one day return to it, the concept itself does seem reasonable.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #1585
Whatfoul?
I hit open 5-footers

Just finished reading these series of books and they were great, kept my interest the whole way though.

This last book was great and with a pretty decent ending. Thought it was going to be a let down but it wasnt and cant wait till they make the films in a few years time!
Whatfoul? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #1586
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

10/10

A great ode to my home state's primary contribution to world cuisine. I read it partly for my own interest and partly because I'm planning to make a barbecue thread and wanted to brush up on the basics.

Highly recommended for the porciverous among you.

Last edited by rufuspaul : 05-10-2011 at 02:35 PM.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #1587
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

just recently read a great v.s. naipaul book, half a life. Like most of his books that Ive read, it deals heavily with people finding their place in a modern world with changing (or eroding) social institutions and definitions (in this case, the caste system of India). Melancholy but such great imagery.

I also read the Blind Owl, a very intense book by the Iranian (I read a translation) author Sadegh Hedayat. Wow. At times the repetitive use of some of the language seems odd, but this is really a very engaging and mysterious story that probes the meanings of personal reality. Told from a narrators view, you start to realize that you cannot trust the narrator as an objective or truthful presentation of the events, perhaps because there is no true objective reality within the framework of this story. I read it on a plane yesterday and really couldnt put it down
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #1588
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul

10/10

A great ode to my home state's primary contribution to world cuisine. I read it partly for my own interest and partly because I'm planning to make a barbecue thread and wanted to brush up on the basics.

Highly recommended for the porciverous among you.
What about the S. Carolina food traditions around Charleston? Golden Rice?
http://www.ansonmills.com/index.htm

or are you a N. Car snob?
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #1589
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
What about the S. Carolina food traditions around Charleston? Golden Rice?
http://www.ansonmills.com/index.htm

or are you a N. Car snob?

It's the Charleston peeps who are the snobs. I'm just a hog eatin Tarheel.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #1590
step_back
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
It's the Charleston peeps who are the snobs. I'm just a hog eatin Tarheel.

Charleston is one of the nicest places I have been to. Completely ***** all over some of the bigger name cities in the states.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: