Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #151
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What are you reading?

Zen, how do you get through so many books so quickly?
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:03 PM   #152
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I just went shopping yesterday and got a few books. I normally read true crime, serial killer stuff. Some history. And some social science stuff.

I picked up Malcolm Gladwell's new Outliers, which is the type of stuff I would occosionally read anyway. And I got something called The Drunkard's Walk, which is sort of in the same field, about the effect of randomness on the world.

I also picked up a couple fiction books. I almost never read fiction. The last one I read was probably six years ago, called Monster, about a Bigfoot attack, that I mostly got because the cover had brown fur on it. It turned out to be a relatively amusing and quick read. It had a lot of map stuff in it that for whatever reason always draws me almost regardless of the subject matter. I've been saying ever since I was going to try and read a light fiction book, either fantasy or sci fi, every summer, but I never find anything that grabs me.
So yesterday was buy three get one free. I already wanted the Gladwell book, found the Drunkard's Walk thing, and figured I'd find a couple more for the price of one. Nothing in True Crime of interest, so I went throught the fiction section. I found World War Z, which I've often heard is interesting. There's some movie development being discussed. And the guy behind the counter who didn't exactly look like a Zombie War kind of guy said it was a great read.
And for my free one I picked the thing next to it. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It claims to take one of the world's great literary pieces and turn into something you may actually want to read.

For anyone who's read any of these, let me know what you think I should read first. I've got another couple weeks to finish up The Monster of Florence, a true crime book about an uncaught serial killer in Florence. Then I've got to decide.

Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #153
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Pride and Prejudice is a good story.

Homophobe.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:16 AM   #154
ILballa
Hemp Coach

ILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
I have a graveyard job, that basically allows me a large amount of time to read. Thats besides the fact that Im just an avid reader to begin with...

Most of the stuff that I read, I download off of the web.. so I dont have to actually purchase it.. and if its a novel I cant attain thru torrents.. then I just go ahead and purchase it (or check out of library). However, 90% of the time I can eventually find it online...

So the fact that I dont have to pay for everything I read, also makes it easy to read without consequence...

I average about 1-2 novels per week.. unless its a massive book (where Ill usually only read one..) or if the novels are slim ( I could read up to 3 on that week).
Where do you find books online?
ILballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:58 AM   #155
ILballa
Hemp Coach

ILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation here

Thanks ZeN.
ILballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:59 AM   #156
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

On to the e-book version of Kerouac's Dharma Bums.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:39 AM   #157
TheCommish
I brick open layups

TheCommish has an OK reputation so far

Atlas Shrugged
TheCommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:43 AM   #158
Clifton
talk less, say more

Clifton is considered somewhat coolClifton is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
+1

One of the best, "The Son also Rises" is a wonderful novel, probably the best first novel ever, maybe "Sister Carrie" can compare to it. His short stories are also brilliant.
The prose is very clear, I like how he explains everything with such simplicity.
On the other hand, some characters and dialogues are not too convincing, still he is one of the greatest.
Reading Hemingway is a drastic personality clash for me. I don't understand how a person could possibly enjoy Hemingway. You have: 1. no plot to bank on; 2. no psychological, philosophical, spiritual, or sociological intrigue; 3. no variety or experimentation or personality; 4. nothing interesting being done with language and 5. characters who just don't act anything like human beings.

And everyone I know who reads seems to loooove Hemingway. I mean minimalism can knock me on my ass. It's just that after 500 pages of nothing but minimalism, it starts to be less minimalism and more just a poorly written book, like a plot synopsis of a much better book with all the good stuff taken out. "The Old Man and the Sea" is incomparably great taken out of any context- I read it and thought Hemingway would be my favorite writer, but then I read a few more and it just turns out all he does / can do is write that same way with plots and characters and themes that are much less interesting. And I begin to realize he's a one trick pony. That way of writing works great for a parable/allegory like Old Man but certainly not for a novel. A short story, maybe; it depends. But in novel form he is just brutal.

I always suspected the reason people love Hemingway so much is that he's such a radical departure from 99% of other canonized stuff that people with beards and reading glasses call "great literature." Most other "great literature" requires either some training in interpretation, or a lot of effort and concentration and thought, or preferably both, to know what the hell you're reading. With Hemingway though everyone feels as though they understand him. Because there's nothing to get on Hemingway's end. He's just writing a story, and its purpose is to evoke things in the reader, not be a great thing in itself. Which is a credit to Hemingway certainly, since he does accomplish that reasonably well, but the point is there are many other writers who do it better, and also challenge you at face value.

If you want a writer who doesn't challenge you at face value but writes purely to encourage the reader to evoke things in himself, during and after reading, give Flannery O'Connor a shot, and also check out Jerzy Kosinski's "Steps," and maybe also "Hunger" by Knut Hamsun.

Last edited by Clifton : 05-26-2009 at 06:01 AM.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:52 AM   #159
GUUS
Banned

GUUS has decent reputation

A History of Western Architecture, by David Watkin, hopefully my professor in Cambridge next year!
GUUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:56 AM   #160
GUUS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton
Reading Hemingway is a drastic personality clash for me. I don't understand how a person could possibly enjoy Hemingway. You have: 1. no plot to bank on; 2. no psychological, philosophical, spiritual, or sociological intrigue; 3. no variety or experimentation or personality; 4. nothing interesting being done with language and 5. characters who just don't act anything like human beings.

And everyone I know who reads seems to loooove Hemingway. I mean minimalism can knock me on my ass. It's just that after 500 pages of nothing but minimalism, it starts to be less minimalism and more just a poorly written book, like a plot synopsis of a much better book with all the good stuff taken out. "The Old Man and the Sea" is incomparably great taken out of any context- I read it and thought Hemingway would be my favorite writer, but then I read a few more and it just turns out all he does / can do is write that same way with plots and characters and themes that are much less interesting. And I begin to realize he's a one trick pony. That way of writing works great for a parable/allegory like Old Man but certainly not for a novel. A short story, maybe; it depends. But in novel form he is just brutal.

Hey, that's just me though.

What are you talking about no psychological intrigue or experimentation can be found in Hemingway? Nearly every single sentence or word he writes has a double meaning and is symbolic of something else.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:07 AM   #161
Quata
TheBogeyOne

Quata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation here

if you havent read it go and do so immediately.

All recent re-reads because ive run out of new books to read, can anyone who has read any of these and like them recommend me some other i might like?
Quata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:11 AM   #162
GUUS
Banned

I liked scar tissue too, if you like that check out A Drink With Shane McGowan, from the great songwriter, and apart from many things it contains a first hand account of the start of the punk scene in London, he was one of the first 100 or so original 'punks' and he talks about how the scene actually died at the end of 1976
Old 05-26-2009, 06:15 AM   #163
Quata
TheBogeyOne

Quata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation hereQuata has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUUS
I liked scar tissue too, if you like that check out A Drink With Shane McGowan, from the great songwriter, and apart from many things it contains a first hand account of the start of the punk scene in London, he was one of the first 100 or so original 'punks' and he talks about how the scene actually died at the end of 1976
wicked man, will do. First hand accounts of famous musicians are always a great read. Although with that being said i just read Jimi Hendrix: The Man, The Magic, The Truth by Sharon Lawrence (A journalist who was supposably really good friends with hendrix), had some alright insight and showed what a great guy jimi was and how the press etc affected him, but it just isnt the same when its a second hand account.

Also id really like to read a good book on Kurt Kobain/Nirvana and possibly even transitioning into Dave Grohl/Foo Fighters, anyone know one?

Last edited by Quata : 05-26-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Quata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:50 AM   #164
momo
Value Ape.

momo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton
Reading Hemingway is a drastic personality clash for me. I don't understand how a person could possibly enjoy Hemingway.........
(edited for brevity)
...........Which is a credit to Hemingway certainly, since he does accomplish that reasonably well, but the point is there are many other writers who do it better, and also challenge you at face value.

This is a riot.

~~~

I am reading a book a friend of mine wrote and re reading "the Savage Girl" by Alex Shakar. Money. I recomend it to anyone who can read.
momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:33 AM   #165
playtetris
soundcloud->solarcism

playtetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

playtetris is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: