Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-30-2011, 05:04 AM   #1666
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: What are you reading?

Just read "Of Mice and Men" for the first time ever. Had to come on here and say, this is an amazing book. I love it. The ending is pretty powerful to me.

10/10

Steinbeck is great.

Trying to figure out whether to read "East of Eden" or "The Grape of Wrath".

Hell I just got my hands on a bunch of great books.

Can anyone tell me if "Uncle Tom's Cabin" is worth reading?
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:08 AM   #1667
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
A true epic. Incredible characters and the story runs the gamut of human emotion. Incredibly well-written and the pages contain a vast amouunt of wisdom that is highly relateable. Maybe the best book I've ever read.

I was talking about this book with my grandma. She's read just about every great book out there. She was telling me that I might get more out of this if I had read the bible. That this story is a sort of parallel to the story of Cane and Abel.

What do you think?
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #1668
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
I was talking about this book with my grandma. She's read just about every great book out there. She was telling me that I might get more out of this if I had read the bible. That this story is a sort of parallel to the story of Cane and Abel.

What do you think?

It wouldn't hurt, especially since the story of Cain and Abe is very short. The characters discuss the story in the book tho so you will have an understanding even without reading it beforehand. Reading the beginning of Genesis would be beneficial but definitely not necessary imo.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #1669
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm in the middle of my cool down book after the semester. I just pick a book that's extremely easy and not academic in any sense. And it's a good one:

I'm a big fan of Riodan's Percy Jackson series. And this one ties in with it in fact they share characters and seem to building towards a big crossover style story.

It is so far my least favorite, the Red Pyramid was better, and all of Percy Jackson, but it's picking up steam here in the middle. This is how he tends to write, it can be a slow start and then you get in the middle of it and just really picks up.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #1670
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Um, he only wrote one novel.
err, yeah. along with short stories, essays, articles, plays, etc, etc, etc. since when has prose been restricted to novels?

but who knows, maybe you're right.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #1671
heyhey
stay mad golden state

heyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

a friend of mine recommend this short story collection to me. I saw Miranda July's movie recently and liked it so I delved into this.

meh, it's too much of that indie thing. The book is very whimsical quirky and charming but after a few of the stories it gets claustrophobically so. The stories are pretty varied but the tone become very familiar and eventually you become numb to the tenderness of the each tale.

Her movie is a better medium for this style imo.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #1672
FourthTenor
Banned

FourthTenor has a near all-star reputation hereFourthTenor has a near all-star reputation hereFourthTenor has a near all-star reputation hereFourthTenor has a near all-star reputation hereFourthTenor has a near all-star reputation hereFourthTenor has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
err, yeah. along with short stories, essays, articles, plays, etc, etc, etc. since when has prose been restricted to novels?

plays are not prose so far as I am aware, essays and articles and one novel are not to my mind sufficient to crown someone as the all-time 'king of prose.'

not taking any due credit away from him, just saying that you may have been mistaken on that score or "misremembering" what you heard as roger clemmens would say.
FourthTenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #1673
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs

I just started listening to some of the old podcasts of The Partially Examined Life recently because I had it bookmarked from when you posted the site a while ago. Pretty cool stuff and the guys have some interesting/entertaining personalities. Thanks for introducting me to that site.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #1674
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourthTenor
plays are not prose so far as I am aware, essays and articles and one novel are not to my mind sufficient to crown someone as the all-time 'king of prose.'

not taking any due credit away from him, just saying that you may have been mistaken on that score or "misremembering" what you heard as roger clemmens would say.
lol, no misremembering, i just made it up. it was the gist of what i've heard in the past, without any particular references to back that up. and now that i think about it, prose is a pretty dumb categorical tool at this point anyway. it's got to account for something like 90% of the written arts out there. plays can be prose, anything can be prose. it's just writing like you would talk.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #1675
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I just started listening to some of the old podcasts of The Partially Examined Life recently because I had it bookmarked from when you posted the site a while ago. Pretty cool stuff and the guys have some interesting/entertaining personalities. Thanks for introducting me to that site.
awesome, eh? i love those guys. it's casual enough of a conversation never to get boring, but they consistently make substantial points. they've got a great truthiness factor going for them, because they're so self conscious as philosophers and skeptical of the giants they study. i guess that goes with the territory of studying and then leaving the field.

i haven't been to that site for a month or two, with my computer having been stolen. but thank the gods, my new one just came today. good reminder to re-bookmark that site.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:08 AM   #1676
step_back
You see this knife?

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Starting this today. Loved "Of Mice and Men" so i'm looking forward to reading this.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #1677
Charlie Sheen
Local High School Star

Charlie Sheen has decent reputationCharlie Sheen has decent reputation

its like a story youd expect to hear a pastor tell in a church sermon. picked it because the cover and the title caught my eye and authors name looked spanish. i need to get a better system for picking books
Charlie Sheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #1678
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen

its like a story youd expect to hear a pastor tell in a church sermon. picked it because the cover and the title caught my eye and authors name looked spanish. i need to get a better system for picking books
Your system for choosing books needs a lot of work, though it hilarious.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #1679
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Finished A Wayward Angel. Great book.

About to start:

irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #1680
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourthTenor

well, it depends. Plays written in iambic pentameter (or other rhythmic structure) are poetry. But most plays are prose, as anything that is not poetry is prose.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: