Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #1711
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Joker
Socrates is an epic douche

that said, out of those five dialogues, i liked Euthyphro the least

Yeah, Euthyphro sucked pretty badly. I didn't particularly like any of the first 3 but Crito was alright. The book finished off strong with Meno and Phaedo tho.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #1712
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Black Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
The Walking Dead volume 14 graphic novel. It's in the mail and I'll have it in a couple of days. Didn't post a pic cause sometimes the covers contain spoilers.
epic series. and this volume amps it up even more
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #1713
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I already like it better than the show.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #1714
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
My favorite Roth is American Pastoral. One of my favorite books of all-time.
Definitely one of my favorites as well. Now that im an unemployed college graduate im gonna have more time to get to some books I have that I haven't gotten to yet. I think im going to start with Crusader Nation by David Traxel.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #1715
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

Raj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

gotta question for yall, on amazon, when it says a book is 1 cent, is it really 1cent??? For example this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #1716
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Da Dodge
gotta question for yall, on amazon, when it says a book is 1 cent, is it really 1cent??? For example this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

$4.00 with shipping.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #1717
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

Raj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
$4.00 with shipping.
i'm talkin bout w/o shipping. like the actual book price.
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #1718
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Book price: 0.01
shipping: 3.99
Total: 4.00
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #1719
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Book price: 0.01
shipping: 3.99
Total: 4.00
Yup.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #1720
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. I'm at the part where he has returned the trail and is starting to miss Katz. It's a great book so far and I've had a some laugh out loud moments.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #1721
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The book had a great rhythmn and pace to it but my favorite part of his writing was the unrestrained purity of it. Passages of this book show the reader what it is really like to be a dreamer and to see the beauty of America. There were great little stories involved too like the pure romance he had in California with the Mexican woman and her son, the trip to Mexico, and the various other adventures. I see how some people will criticize it for being overly romantic and sentimental and that it glorifies an irresponsible lifestyle but the dirt and madness of their lives is just below the surface (if at all) and enhances it. Dean Moriarty is one of the greatest literary figures I've ever read too.

Reading this book makes me feel trapped and makes me feel as if I have been asleep for the past 10 years. It makes me eager to be awake and alive.

Quote:
And for just a moment I had reached the point of ecstasy that I always wanted to reach, which was the complete step across chronological time into timeless shadows, and wonderment in the bleakness of the mortal realm, and the sensation of death kicking at my heels to move on, with a phantom dogging its own heels, and myself hurrying to a plank where all the angels dove off and flew into the holy void of uncreated emptiness, the potent and inconceivable radiancies shining in bright Mind Essence, innumerable lotus-lands falling open in the magic mothswarm of heaven. I could hear an indescribable seething roar which wasn't in my ear but everywhere and had nothing to do with sounds. I realized that I had died and been reborn numberless times but just didn't remember because the transitions from life to death and back are so ghostly easy, a magical action for naught, like falling asleep and waking up again a million times, the utter casualness and deep ignorance of it.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:31 AM   #1722
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Just started:

Been wanting to read this for a while, found it at the Library, what a story.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #1723
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I have Amazon Prime. It would be free for me.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #1724
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
Just started:

Been wanting to read this for a while, found it at the Library, what a story.
I'd appreciate it if you could follow up on this once you're finished. I'm interested to see how the author handled his story without preaching to the audience. I like baseball, but I don't think I could do a book that parallels a story I'd expect to be coming from an AA podium.

If you haven't read it already, The Bullpen Gospels was the best baseball book I remember reading. Hayhurst was painfully honest, but successfully presents an often overlooked perspective of the game.

What I'm reading: William Faulkner, Sartoris. I've read this book in short intervals, and it still hasn't grabbed me. Working my way through this for the past 6 months, but I usually end up going to something else and jumping back into it after a month or so has passed. The South is foreign to me in real life, so it takes on the feeling of reading from an encyclopedia. I plan to finish sometime around Christmas
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #1725
irondarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsic
I'd appreciate it if you could follow up on this once you're finished. I'm interested to see how the author handled his story without preaching to the audience. I like baseball, but I don't think I could do a book that parallels a story I'd expect to be coming from an AA podium.

If you haven't read it already, The Bullpen Gospels was the best baseball book I remember reading. Hayhurst was painfully honest, but successfully presents an often overlooked perspective of the game.

What I'm reading: William Faulkner, Sartoris. I've read this book in short intervals, and it still hasn't grabbed me. Working my way through this for the past 6 months, but I usually end up going to something else and jumping back into it after a month or so has passed. The South is foreign to me in real life, so it takes on the feeling of reading from an encyclopedia. I plan to finish sometime around Christmas
Just finished it. Well, Josh Hamilton wrote the book, and while he did talk about his Faith, he didn't preach and the book was pretty much just his story, from his High School days, to when he first did powder cocaine and then his addiction to Crack. He told all kinds of terribly sad stories about his addiction, then he talked about getting to the big leagues with the Reds and then later the Rangers. It's an incredible story, and a very inspirational one. He talks about God, but he doesn't preach, it's just an extremely honest book about his addiction and recovery. I'd definitely recommend it.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: