Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #1726
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: What are you reading?

Confessions of an Economic Hitman
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #1727
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Cleverly written assault on civilization and the philosophy of "everything is for the best/everything happens for a reason" (specifically that of Gottfried Leibniz). Barnes and Noble does a great job with these classics providing endnotes and introductions. I definitely got a lot more out of the book thanks to the endnotes (Voltaire took a lot of shots at people who he disagreed with or did him harm lol). There were specific parts of the book that I loved. One in particular was the chapter that Candide spent in Paris and the visit to Pococurante. This was my first taste of Voltaire and I was very pleased with it.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #1728
The-Legend-24
LA DECIMA!!

The-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected poster

The-Legend-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #1729
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Black Hand by Chris Blatchford
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #1730
heyhey
stay mad golden state

heyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar

Wow is all i can say. foundation of 20th century literature right here. I had only read short stories of Cortazar before but this novel's incredible
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #1731
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey

Wow is all i can say. foundation of 20th century literature right here. I had only read short stories of Cortazar before but this novel's incredible

Cool. I'll have to check that out.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #1732
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Haven't read this since I was a wee lad. It's pretty damn good. I started listening to audio books at work. Never thought I'd be able to focus on both the books and work at the same time before, so never bothered trying it until Tuesday. Anyway, since like noon Tuesday I've "read" two books and am a third of the way through Ender's Game. Looks like I'm going to go through a lot of these, so I'm looking for some recommendations. I like sci-fi, horror/supernatural, and would like to try a good comedy.

Thoughts?
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:49 PM   #1733
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey

In what order are you reading it?
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:50 PM   #1734
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements

Haven't read this since I was a wee lad. It's pretty damn good. I started listening to audio books at work. Never thought I'd be able to focus on both the books and work at the same time before, so never bothered trying it until Tuesday. Anyway, since like noon Tuesday I've "read" two books and am a third of the way through Ender's Game. Looks like I'm going to go through a lot of these, so I'm looking for some recommendations. I like sci-fi, horror/supernatural, and would like to try a good comedy.

Thoughts?

Try Philip K. Dick's "Ubik". It's some of the best sci-fi ever written with a good touch of comedy.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:51 PM   #1735
FourthTenor
Banned

FourthTenor has a near all-star reputation hereFourthTenor has a near all-star reputation hereFourthTenor has a near all-star reputation hereFourthTenor has a near all-star reputation hereFourthTenor has a near all-star reputation hereFourthTenor has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky
Try Philip K. Dick's "Ubik". It's some of the best sci-fi ever written with a good touch of comedy.

Hah.

Philip Dick
FourthTenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #1736
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourthTenor
Hah.

Philip Dick
He must've had a hell of a time in middle school, right ?
Old 07-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #1737
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky

Cool, thanks.

To anyone who listens to audiobooks, if you increase the tempo by about 35% or so you'll get through the books quicker while still being able to understand everything clearly. And no, it won't sound like the book's being read by Alvin and the Chipmunks(someone asked me that today), since you're just increasing the tempo and not the pitch.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:22 AM   #1738
dwight20-20
future footer

dwight20-20 has an incredible reputation heredwight20-20 has an incredible reputation heredwight20-20 has an incredible reputation heredwight20-20 has an incredible reputation heredwight20-20 has an incredible reputation heredwight20-20 has an incredible reputation heredwight20-20 has an incredible reputation here

anyone read slaughterhouse 5?
dwight20-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #1739
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwight20-20
anyone read slaughterhouse 5?

One of my fave books of all time. A total mind f*ck. More so from the actual accounts of the bombing of Dresden than the fantasy parts, imo.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:27 AM   #1740
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Cool, thanks.

To anyone who listens to audiobooks, if you increase the tempo by about 35% or so you'll get through the books quicker while still being able to understand everything clearly. And no, it won't sound like the book's being read by Alvin and the Chipmunks(someone asked me that today), since you're just increasing the tempo and not the pitch.

But what if you want it to sound like chipmunks are reading to you so you can fap to it. Hypothetically of course.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: