Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-27-2009, 06:22 AM   #166
answer
sofa king retard ed

Default Re: What are you reading?

just finished

very good read

might start working on this next
answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #167
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by playtetris
I'm just finishing this up rigth now as well. About 30 pages left. My reading time is way too scarce at the moment - with basketball on every night, the only time I ever have for reading is an hour lunch break at work. I almost can't wait for the playoffs to end. lol

Fantastic concept though, and I already love Kurt's style (this is the first of his I read). Really fast read that I could definitely see myself going through again after I finish.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #168
NBACha
Decent playground baller

I am reading this thread.
NBACha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:34 AM   #169
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBACha
I am reading this thread.
haha
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #170
matt1016
Kids at the park dunk on me

I bought one of these recently: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PRS-505-P.../dp/B000WPXQ2M

and I am loving life. I got rid of all of my old books (ebayed or donated) and now I have probably a decade's worth of e-books ready to go. Right now I'm reading The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett. Classic Private eye stuff. Real good...
matt1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #171
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

I'm about a third of the way through, 125 pages or so, with World War Z. Not a bad light summer fiction read all things considered. It's written in an odd journalistic style. It's all short recollections from survivors of various fronts of the zombie apocalypse. Entries from all over the world. So rather than a straight narative of what happened, you get this more mosiac look at it, with information on the hows and whys coming in drips and drabs through these crazy stories.

It's not Hemingway, but it's a nice light fictional read if you're into sci-fi horror. And since each story is no more than five or six pages, you can really pick it up and put it down. Great for the beach, the bathroom, or reading during commercials while watching basketball or baseball.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #172
matt1016
Kids at the park dunk on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I'm about a third of the way through, 125 pages or so, with World War Z. Not a bad light summer fiction read all things considered.

I read about a third of that book, and I agree with your assessment. I got a bit bored with the lack of action though, so I moved on. (one of the disadvantages of my Sony E-reader is that I have so much available to read...it gives me reading ADD.)

The writer's knowledge of world culture and politics is quite impressive. I kept thinking that World War Z would've been good as a "story bible" for a TV show or movie trilogy or something.
matt1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #173
GUUS
Banned

the newspaper

Last edited by GUUS : 06-03-2009 at 04:24 PM.
GUUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #174
Killbot
KillImpaleLiquefyLynch

Ironies of Freedom
Killbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #175
GiveItToBurrito

The Discovery and Conquest of Mexico by Bernal Diaz Del Castillo. It's by a soldier who worked for Cortez and who was one of the first Europeans to explore Mexico and Central America, and unlike a lot of books by and about the conquistadors, it doesn't depict the natives as savages or as people who are just dying to let God into their hearts. It's really well written, too, with normal language instead of that thou thy art Shakespeare **** that you find in a lot of books written before the 1800s.

I'm also about to start reading Platform by Michel Houellebecq. A friend gave it to me last week and said it's good, so even though I don't know much about it, I'll probably give it a shot the next time I take the train or have a long trip on the metro.

Last edited by GiveItToBurrito : 06-03-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #176
goldenryan
I'm Back

the soft machine - william burroughs
the revolution of everyday life- raoul vaneigem
goldenryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #177
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1016
I read about a third of that book, and I agree with your assessment. I got a bit bored with the lack of action though, so I moved on. (one of the disadvantages of my Sony E-reader is that I have so much available to read...it gives me reading ADD.)

The writer's knowledge of world culture and politics is quite impressive. I kept thinking that World War Z would've been good as a "story bible" for a TV show or movie trilogy or something.

I keep thinking the same thing. I just finished the section about the Battle of Yonkers, and it's like the guy must be a military armory expert. Then in another section he seems like an expert on the Indian Pakistan border relations. I'm sure he didn't know all this, it's just been well researched and well written to make it sound really knowledgeable. And in the end, it's only five or six pages a pop worth of research per section, so it's not like you'd have to try that hard in any one section. A passing knowledge of the topic, or a quick encyclopedia reference, written well enough would more than suffice. But the overall effect once you've gone through a bunch of section is that it's this huge compendium of world knowledge.

It is in fact in development to become a film. It could make for a good flick.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #178
"Jesus"
Short & Sweet

"Jesus" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #179
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

DeLillo's White Noise
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #180
Ben Jordan
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I'm about a third of the way through, 125 pages or so, with World War Z. Not a bad light summer fiction read all things considered. It's written in an odd journalistic style. It's all short recollections from survivors of various fronts of the zombie apocalypse. Entries from all over the world. So rather than a straight narative of what happened, you get this more mosiac look at it, with information on the hows and whys coming in drips and drabs through these crazy stories.

It's not Hemingway, but it's a nice light fictional read if you're into sci-fi horror. And since each story is no more than five or six pages, you can really pick it up and put it down. Great for the beach, the bathroom, or reading during commercials while watching basketball or baseball.
Sounds like a good read. I'm not big into sci-fi type books, but this sounds interesting. thanks
Ben Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: