Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-14-2011, 12:38 AM   #1786
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Da Dodge
I did one of my research papers on him last semester. it was a author research paper and I did it on him. But the only one I've read is Congo. Saw Jurassic Park movies but never read the book.
Congo was pretty horrible to me..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:33 AM   #1787
Ol Dirty Bastard
Local High School Star

Ol Dirty Bastard has not been impressing people

Just finished The Road

An awesome read. Started off a little slow for me but before I knew it I was hooked by McCarthy's ability to paint vivid images in your head.

Dark story with some strong themes; Father/Son, Good/Evil
The book is much better than the movie, IMO
Ol Dirty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:06 AM   #1788
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Any Crichton fans here? I'm just wondering if any of the film adaptations are accurate or is it a case of 'the book is better'. And recommend any of his books if you've read them please. Thanks.

the Andromeda Strain
Sphere
Jurassic Park

Love Crichton. Most the films totally miss the point but are still enjoyable. For example Jurassic Park completely misses the whole Chaos theory thing, but is an awesome film.

Next is interesting. And if you can get into Timeline it's good but it starts slow.

Prey is fantastic, and idk why they haven't done a movie of that but they did Rising Sun.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:28 AM   #1789
FourthTenor
Banned

FourthTenor has a near all-star reputation hereFourthTenor has a near all-star reputation hereFourthTenor has a near all-star reputation hereFourthTenor has a near all-star reputation hereFourthTenor has a near all-star reputation hereFourthTenor has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Just finished Why Does E=MC2: And Why Should We Care.

Annnnnnd 10/10. I strongly recommend this book to everyone interested in physics at all.

Easily the best book I've read this summer.

Got my eye on this one, in fact both eyes now since reading ur review
FourthTenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:56 AM   #1790
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I got Capitalism and Freedom (Friedman), Babbitt (Lewis), 1984 (Orwell), Wuthering Heights (Bronte), Tender in the Night (Fitzgerald), A Man Without a Country (Vonnegut), and The Stranger (Camus) today at the bookstore. Good haul but I couldn't find Why Does E=MC2 which I was kind of bummed about but I'll just have to order it.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:59 AM   #1791
magnax1
Not a mormon

magnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Any Crichton fans here? I'm just wondering if any of the film adaptations are accurate or is it a case of 'the book is better'. And recommend any of his books if you've read them please. Thanks.

the Andromeda Strain
Sphere
Jurassic Park
The ending to Jurassic park in the book is a million times better then the movie, and really made the whole book for me. Haven't read any of his other stuff, except for his sequel to Jurassic Park that I thought was so bad that I quite reading it extremely quickly.
magnax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:37 AM   #1792
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourthTenor
Got my eye on this one, in fact both eyes now since reading ur review

It might not be anything new to you but the way they lay it out is picture perfect in terms of teaching someone. Now I can discuss it with other people without saying: "You kinda have to just know."

The logic exercises they do are really good.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #1793
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Great little book that is funny, insightful, and honest. Definitely something I'd suggest people to read.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #1794
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7

Great little book that is funny, insightful, and honest. Definitely something I'd suggest people to read.
I love this book. It's really funny.

"The last thing I ever wanted was to be alive when the three most powerful people on the whole planet would be named Bush, Dick and Colon"
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #1795
kNIOKAS
Medium Rare

kNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

the Andromeda Strain
Sphere
Jurassic Park
yes yes yes!!!
I read Jurrasic Park like 5 or 6 times already, begining at the age of 10 and my last time was like at 19. Great book.
Now I'm in this campground that I work in, there's not much to do, so I went to the thrift shop and bought me some Crichton: Rising Sun and Next. I've read Timeline once before, I had chills doing that. He makes me feel things.

But anyway now I'm reading DUNE and it's also good. Great franchise (although I only played on Sega and then on PC some).

And the book... Well, all three movies are based on that single book. Some chapters/ideas made one film, some made other. Btw JP 3 is the first movie that I watched in a cinema. Great experience. I think second movie was the worst from them three, but since it contained some scenes from the book I loved it. You should read the book no matter what, then enjoy the movies. Simple.
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:11 PM   #1796
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

this thread

see what i did there?
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:49 AM   #1797
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
I love this book. It's really funny.

"The last thing I ever wanted was to be alive when the three most powerful people on the whole planet would be named Bush, Dick and Colon"
Vonnegut is so money..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #1798
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I've had this on my shelf for years but have nver gotten to it. Let me know what you think when you finish.
Just finished the Clemente book. It was an incredible book. Beautifully written and what a man Clemente was. You should definitely get to reading it.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #1799
irondarts

Just started:

Newly released collection of older short stories. Looking forward to reading them.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #1800
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
Just finished the Clemente book. It was an incredible book. Beautifully written and what a man Clemente was. You should definitely get to reading it.

Thanks, i'll have to finallly pick it up. I've prob had it for 4-5 years lol.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: