Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #1831
irondarts

Default Re: What are you reading?

Finished up the ESPN Book, It was really good.

Finally am getting around to this (I love Bill Simmons):

irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #1832
ZeN

At odds on what to read next.. thinking of reading A Feast For Crows but am a little worn out with the story and heard so many disappointing things about that book and A Dance With Dragons..

Got about 50 books on my to read list.. but have no immediate interest in any..lol
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:58 AM   #1833
RobertdeMeijer
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7

Very good book and it exposed me to some different ways of thinking about some of the problems of our federal government, especially social security. Definitely a recommended reading for everyone. Friedman is clear and concise in his writing.

To me, Friedman is an amazing example of theory built on bullcrap. The Shock Doctrine is a good list of how his Chicago School of economics has done so much harm to the world.

I also notice you're enjoying 1984. As much as I love the book, it's becoming a bit of a problem. The world is currently much more like the Brave New World, but the fingers are still being pointed at Big Brother instead of Soma.

Meta: I noticed you're reading alot of excellent works, Jailblazers. I'm really glad you're taking the time to write down how you feel about them here!

I myself am currently reading this book: I find all the characters hard to follow, to be honest, but some of them are pearls. It's basically a soap opera for those who have a thing for the Arts and Crafts movement. I wouldn't advise it to the average sports fan : P

Last edited by RobertdeMeijer : 08-20-2011 at 05:15 AM.
RobertdeMeijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:07 AM   #1834
Raj Da Dodge
We Are Red Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
Finished up the ESPN Book, It was really good.

Finally am getting around to this (I love Bill Simmons):

I was gonna ask u. Is the ESPN book actually good? I was thinking about buying it but didnt want to till I got some reviews back. Also this is coming from the biggest ESPN fan, and like a HUGE sports fan so I wanna get it but idk if I should.
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:08 AM   #1835
Raj Da Dodge
We Are Red Nation!

Also I started the MJ/Bird book back in like July but have only read like 6 pgs of it cuz I jus dont have time cuz of school. Bout to keep it in my locker at work tho so i can read on my breaks.
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:09 AM   #1836
EricGordon23
Decent college freshman

Archie comic books are where its at.
EricGordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #1837
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
At odds on what to read next.. thinking of reading A Feast For Crows but am a little worn out with the story and heard so many disappointing things about that book and A Dance With Dragons..

Got about 50 books on my to read list.. but have no immediate interest in any..lol

Just finished A Feast for Crows last month. The biggest problem it faced was following up A Storm of Swords which is at least a 9/10.

AFFC focusses on the stories of Jaime and Cersei and then Dorne see's a growing role. I honestly liked AFFC, it was great reading Jaime's story and seeing him really develop. He went from my most hated character to my favorite.

I would reccomend reading other things you are more interested in before reading this book so you don't get worn out from the long story but I would still reccomend reading it eventually.

Anyway...I'm about to read this.

Does anyone have any reviews or opinions on this book if the read it? It's about the life story of the first man put to death after the Death Statement was reestablished in the 1970s.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #1838
irondarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Da Dodge
I was gonna ask u. Is the ESPN book actually good? I was thinking about buying it but didnt want to till I got some reviews back. Also this is coming from the biggest ESPN fan, and like a HUGE sports fan so I wanna get it but idk if I should.
It's great. It covers EVERYTHING about ESPN from the very start, all the rivalries in the company, etc. You should get it.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #1839
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
Good to hear....I'm the token zombie literature guy.

I picture everyone else in their private libraries reading the classics.
I fucking love zombies. What would you recommend?

I'm thinking of buying the Walking Dead comics before the start of season 2, but was wondering if there was anything more in the style of traditional books, not comics.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #1840
ZeN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
Just finished A Feast for Crows last month. The biggest problem it faced was following up A Storm of Swords which is at least a 9/10.

AFFC focusses on the stories of Jaime and Cersei and then Dorne see's a growing role. I honestly liked AFFC, it was great reading Jaime's story and seeing him really develop. He went from my most hated character to my favorite.

I would reccomend reading other things you are more interested in before reading this book so you don't get worn out from the long story but I would still reccomend reading it eventually.

Ive started reading a bit of it. Have only read the Prologue. Im hoping that once I get to Cersei/Jaime it will catch my interest some.. I may take a while with it.. May simply jump back and forth between AFFC and Ape and Essence by Aldous Huxley which im also reading..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #1841
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertdeMeijer
To me, Friedman is an amazing example of theory built on bullcrap. The Shock Doctrine is a good list of how his Chicago School of economics has done so much harm to the world.

I also notice you're enjoying 1984. As much as I love the book, it's becoming a bit of a problem. The world is currently much more like the Brave New World, but the fingers are still being pointed at Big Brother instead of Soma.

Meta: I noticed you're reading alot of excellent works, Jailblazers. I'm really glad you're taking the time to write down how you feel about them here!

I myself am currently reading this book: I find all the characters hard to follow, to be honest, but some of them are pearls. It's basically a soap opera for those who have a thing for the Arts and Crafts movement. I wouldn't advise it to the average sports fan : P

Hmm, I'll check out The Shock Doctrine for sure and Brave New World has been on my list for a while but I haven't bought a copy yet.

Currently reading:

Good but unspectacular so far. Only about 80 pages through it tho so I can't form a full opinion just yet.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #1842
GiveItToBurrito

Lies my Teacher Told M by James Loewen. It's pretty good.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #1843
KG215
NBA Legend

I have to read these two for a U.S. History from 1900-1945 class. I'm really looking forward to reading both, though, so I guess it's more like I get to read these two books.

KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #1844
vinsane01
National High School Star

Complexity: The Emerging Science at the Edge of Order and Chaos by M. Mitchell Waldrop
vinsane01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #1845
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

In a few days I'll be starting these:

glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: