Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #1936
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznTacoLover

pretty good so far.
u like it???? i fell asleep half way through.
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #1937
JEFFERSON MONEY
NBA All-star

Of Human Bondage - Recommended by Dasher, said this helped him comprehend the dynamics of love really
Principles of Neuropharmacology - Kind adull but this joint has EVERYTHING about the actual biology. sh!tz amazing. dopamine, neuropenphrine, oxytocin.. all those feel good chemicals. u can practically re-emulate certain emotions (fear, anxiety, anger, grief, depression, happiness) and, the implications of htis book are amzing man.
Light in August - Faulkner (gotta get that literary thang on)
Mrs. Dalloway
Anthology of English Restorative Literature
JEFFERSON MONEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:05 AM   #1938
irondarts

Pretty good bio about my favorite hockey player of all time.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:05 AM   #1939
vinsane01
National High School Star

vinsane01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:54 AM   #1940
D-Wade316
F***

Just finished reading this book a few weeks ago
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #1941
hoopaddict08
Decent college freshman

Has anyone read Shaqs new book? I kind of wanted to read it and was wondering if it was any good.
hoopaddict08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #1942
Fatal9
owwwww

Completely forgot about this thread.

Anyways, right now I'm kind of in American history mode. In the last month or so finished "the fiery trial: lincoln & slavery", "american lion: andrew jackson" and "how the other half lives". Looking for couple of new books related to American history (preferably between 1800-1900), so help me out American brahs. I never really took American history formally in school (not required here) so any essential reads I should make sure not to skip?
Fatal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #1943
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal9
Completely forgot about this thread.

Anyways, right now I'm kind of in American history mode. In the last month or so finished "the fiery trial: lincoln & slavery", "american lion: andrew jackson" and "how the other half lives". Looking for couple of new books related to American history (preferably between 1800-1900), so help me out American brahs. I never really took American history formally in school (not required here) so any essential reads I should make sure not to skip?

Edmund Morris wrote a 3 book series on Teddy Roosevelt that I've heard is really good.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:31 AM   #1944
sunsfan1357
Word.

Was doing some shopping on elitefts and they had this e-book on sale for a dollar so I figured, "why not?" Its about as intellectual a book you'd expect from a powerlifter, but he does give some great advice on how to approach every day in the gym and how to connect with what you do every day. The mind is a very powerful tool when it comes to lifting.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:34 AM   #1945
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster

ATM on part where they scam the Dawson town to buy the worthless land. I can see why it's a classic, but some aspects are completely uncovered/unexplained. A mystery to me, maybe common sense for the people of their times. For example the indian guy who repeatedly refused to aid starving group of ..also indians, or the the guy who shot Smoke and other guy (Smoke got blamed for that). Just no explanation after the story, and I have no clue. Good read though, I like reading/imagining the older times.
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #1946
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

I finished reading Slaughterhouse Five a few days back.
It's a novel written by Kurt Vonnegut about a man named Billy Pilgrim, who witnessed possibly the largest massacre in human history during WWII in Dresden, where he was held as a war prisoner.
Billy Pilgrim travels through time. He knows everything that has happened in his life, such as him being abducted by aliens, and everything that will happen, but he can't change anything. He comes to the realization that free will doesn't exist.
Vonnegut adds humor in this novel, which makes it a great read because the humor takes away from some of the real-life tension you know was present during WWII.
If you've never read this novel, you should. It's honestly a great story.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #1947
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar
I finished reading Slaughterhouse Five a few days back.
It's a novel written by Kurt Vonnegut about a man named Billy Pilgrim, who witnessed possibly the largest massacre in human history during WWII in Dresden, where he was held as a war prisoner.
Billy Pilgrim travels through time. He knows everything that has happened in his life, such as him being abducted by aliens, and everything that will happen, but he can't change anything. He comes to the realization that free will doesn't exist.
Vonnegut adds humor in this novel, which makes it a great read because the humor takes away from some of the real-life tension you know was present during WWII.
If you've never read this novel, you should. It's honestly a great story.

+1. A fantastic book.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:54 AM   #1948
irondarts

Great collection of articles/stories from different publications.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:17 AM   #1949
sulsuvtut27
Brook Lopez=beast!!!!!

sulsuvtut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #1950
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

This book is more like sage words of wisdom from the Dalai Lama and not really an in depth look at Buddhism. He briefly describes the Four Noble Truths but doesn't get too technical. The most interesting part to me was his explaination of dependent origination and its consequences in Buddhist philosophy. Not great but a decent and quick read.

Really well written and interesting look at the development of American society during the 19th century. The book really focuses on the effects of post-war abundance and the possibilities that opened to society once scarcity and the struggle for survival was overcome. The author struggles to hide his personal opinions at certain points but his style is very easy to read. I particularly enjoyed reading about the 60's and 70's and the impact that Hippie counterculture had in opening American popular culture and the effects it had on business, especially in Silicon Valley. The hippie counterculture movement vs. the evangelical revival of the right wing and the impact it has had on the current political division of American politics is a large focus. I definitely recommend reading this book if any of this interests you.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: