Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #2026
BoogieWoogieMan
Redemption

Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking_Life
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson - 10/10

BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #2027
Waking_Life
We Are Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieWoogieMan
Bout the third time I read it, holds up everytime.
Waking_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #2028
Dasher
NBA Superstar

So far it's solid. I think the premise is more interesting than the story I am reading. I'm at the beginning of the 3rd act, so business may finally be about to pick up.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #2029
irondarts

Just finished this:

A really good, exhaustively researched book about the history of Area 51, it is NOT about Alien's, it covers the extensive secret military projects that have gone on at Area 51 since the 50's, from the making and testing of Spy Planes, Stealth planes, Drones which were built there during the Iraq war as well as the hundreds of Nuclear bombs they set off at Area 51 during the years. Really comprehensive book that I enjoyed a lot. Not about Aliens, although she offers a bizarre account of the Roswell incident and the remains which were sent from Area 51 in the last chapter.

Overall a great book.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #2030
irondarts

About to start this:

irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #2031
skan72
Deep dick pizza

skan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:38 AM   #2032
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

i read The Stranger by Camus not too long ago... at the moment, i don't feel like i'm in any condition to do a review justice, but i do know that it struck a chord. i sort of expected a chord to be struck, and my knowledge of the quote "man in his nakedness faced with the absurd" sort of dulled the chord, but nevertheless, a powerful character powerfully written. i thoroughly enjoyed the brief quotes related to the interchangeability of one life for the next. i think the brevity is what gave it its thrust... with that writing style, had the point been pounded home, it wouldn't have meant nearly as much. it was an authentic account of a man who couldn't understand why anything around him, be it his surroundings or his fellow human beings, wound up the way it did. and it was that lack of understanding that drove him to acceptance... of the very point Camus meant to get across. absurdity only reaches so far as a proper explanation falls short. but the side characters weren't delved into with any real depth, it was all about Meursault and his dealings with his surroundings. a proper reflection upon the decisions of everybody around him may have fleshed out the story, but why bother when the main point is the randomness of everyday decisions? i loved every bit of it, looking forward to reading more of his work. it made for such an easy read i've got no reason not to check out more.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #2033
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I did a review of the Stranger in here during the summer. It was alright but it didn't make a very lasting impression on me.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:27 AM   #2034
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

interesting... i'm surprised. it's a powerful little novel and such a quick read that the whole story and every tidbit of philosophy sticks in your head to the very finish. it was a bit like a Kafka novel except the focus wasn't on the bureaucracy itself but the innocent soul trapped in its gears... and the individual's lack of understanding morphs into a lack of caring, and eventually into total acceptance. people will do what they do and any attempt to hold them to a logical standard is absurd, because they probably can't explain it themselves.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #2035
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player

Dragon Ball Z and Slam Dunk Manga

http://www.mangareader.net/105/dragon-ball.html

http://manga.animea.net/slam-dunk.html
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #2036
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
interesting... i'm surprised. it's a powerful little novel and such a quick read that the whole story and every tidbit of philosophy sticks in your head to the very finish. it was a bit like a Kafka novel except the focus wasn't on the bureaucracy itself but the innocent soul trapped in its gears... and the individual's lack of understanding morphs into a lack of caring, and eventually into total acceptance. people will do what they do and any attempt to hold them to a logical standard is absurd, because they probably can't explain it themselves.

I think the philosophy behind the book is pretty interesting to think about but I didn't find it to be particularly well-written. Its been a while since I read it tho but it didn't leave much of an impression.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #2037
Dasher
NBA Superstar

This is my current book club book.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #2038
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I think the philosophy behind the book is pretty interesting to think about but I didn't find it to be particularly well-written. Its been a while since I read it tho but it didn't leave much of an impression.
well it's written from the pov of an average joe so it's all in his simpleton language, very intentionally so imo. i liked the observational style, the fact that with everything going on around the main character, he still drifted off and started pondering about the wrinkles on his lawyer's face or some other mundane detail. but w/e, you don't remember much so i'll just shut up. lol

dasher i can't imagine you possibly enjoying Chuck Palahniuk. he strikes me as exactly the type of other you would loathe.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #2039
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Things about the trial and stuff are slowly coming back to me now. Maybe I'll give it another read since you seem to have liked it so much because, like you said, its a very short read.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #2040
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

to me books like that are always hit and miss depending on where you're at in your life and your headspace when you read them... philosophical fiction in particular. the ayn rand conversation we had with heyhey the other day where we both loved her and he hated her upon first impression is a perfect example. i've read books strongly recommended -- with words like 'life changing' invoked -- by people whose opinions i usually take into very careful consideration... and they did nothing for me. sometimes it clicks, sometimes it doesn't. but yeah, since it's literally only an afternoon investment, you should totally give it another look.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: