Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #2026
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Default Re: What are you reading?

I did a review of the Stranger in here during the summer. It was alright but it didn't make a very lasting impression on me.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #2027
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

interesting... i'm surprised. it's a powerful little novel and such a quick read that the whole story and every tidbit of philosophy sticks in your head to the very finish. it was a bit like a Kafka novel except the focus wasn't on the bureaucracy itself but the innocent soul trapped in its gears... and the individual's lack of understanding morphs into a lack of caring, and eventually into total acceptance. people will do what they do and any attempt to hold them to a logical standard is absurd, because they probably can't explain it themselves.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #2028
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player

Dragon Ball Z and Slam Dunk Manga

http://www.mangareader.net/105/dragon-ball.html

http://manga.animea.net/slam-dunk.html
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:00 PM   #2029
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
interesting... i'm surprised. it's a powerful little novel and such a quick read that the whole story and every tidbit of philosophy sticks in your head to the very finish. it was a bit like a Kafka novel except the focus wasn't on the bureaucracy itself but the innocent soul trapped in its gears... and the individual's lack of understanding morphs into a lack of caring, and eventually into total acceptance. people will do what they do and any attempt to hold them to a logical standard is absurd, because they probably can't explain it themselves.

I think the philosophy behind the book is pretty interesting to think about but I didn't find it to be particularly well-written. Its been a while since I read it tho but it didn't leave much of an impression.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #2030
Dasher
NBA Superstar

This is my current book club book.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #2031
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I think the philosophy behind the book is pretty interesting to think about but I didn't find it to be particularly well-written. Its been a while since I read it tho but it didn't leave much of an impression.
well it's written from the pov of an average joe so it's all in his simpleton language, very intentionally so imo. i liked the observational style, the fact that with everything going on around the main character, he still drifted off and started pondering about the wrinkles on his lawyer's face or some other mundane detail. but w/e, you don't remember much so i'll just shut up. lol

dasher i can't imagine you possibly enjoying Chuck Palahniuk. he strikes me as exactly the type of other you would loathe.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:54 PM   #2032
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Things about the trial and stuff are slowly coming back to me now. Maybe I'll give it another read since you seem to have liked it so much because, like you said, its a very short read.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #2033
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

to me books like that are always hit and miss depending on where you're at in your life and your headspace when you read them... philosophical fiction in particular. the ayn rand conversation we had with heyhey the other day where we both loved her and he hated her upon first impression is a perfect example. i've read books strongly recommended -- with words like 'life changing' invoked -- by people whose opinions i usually take into very careful consideration... and they did nothing for me. sometimes it clicks, sometimes it doesn't. but yeah, since it's literally only an afternoon investment, you should totally give it another look.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:29 PM   #2034
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I still have yet to finish Atlas yet lol. I was on a record breaking pace but school has really ****ed up my personal reading time. I have about 200 pages left and wow Dagny is a massive whore. "Oh, hi John Galt. Wow, we just met but were soul mates." If I was Reardon I would choke a bitch.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #2035
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I still have yet to finish Atlas yet lol. I was on a record breaking pace but school has really ****ed up my personal reading time. I have about 200 pages left and wow Dagny is a massive whore. "Oh, hi John Galt. Wow, we just met but were soul mates." If I was Reardon I would choke a bitch.
i know right? just wait until the ending, it's f*cking nuts, and i don't mean awesome but just flat out crazy

you know what's coming right? a sixty page bane of your existence. at least i don't think you would have already got there. ugh... took me at least half a dozen sittings.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:45 PM   #2036
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

The John Galt radio address? Yeah, I haven't got there yet but I'm not really looking forward to it. I saw a book today in Barnes & Nobles that was called I Am John Galt and it outlines real life people that emulate characters in the book. Mainly just CEOs and Milton Friedman as the good guys and Krugman and anyone attached to the govt as the bad guys but I might give it read out of curiosity anyway.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #2037
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

that sounds terrible, good luck lol
Old 01-31-2012, 09:14 PM   #2038
AboveTheRim.
I rule the local playground

I just finished reading "Into the Wild" by John Krakauer.

It was a very interesting read. It details the life of a young man who ventures off into the Alaskan Wilderness to live completely isolated from civilization. It was very interesting to see the specific thoughts, opinions and ways in which people who do these kinds of things live their lives.

If you've read Walden by Thoreau, it's got a similar feeling as that, and I would recommend it.
AboveTheRim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #2039
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

"The Things They Carried."

Absolute masterpiece. Painful and excruciating throughout, and its blurriness between truth and fiction, and what truth and fiction actually are, is phenomenal. This is a must-read for anyone, because it's far, far more than just a war book.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #2040
East_Stone_Ya
Gentleman Desperado

East_Stone_Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: