Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #196
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
I think the way he's doing it is okay. He can come back to the Old Testament and read the books you mentioned without thinking that he has to tackle Hebrew Law and all the "begat stuff" to get through it. A lot of people who try to read the Bible from beginning to end never get through the Old Testament.

the Old testament is where the reader gets to know their God. the laws set forth in the old testament lay the foundation for what jesus would come to do later.... When Jesus states he didnt come to change the prophecy, he came to fulfill it, What is he talking about? What prophecy?... And how does he fulfill this?

Too many, especially christians seem to want to skip the old testament like it isnt that important... IMO it is more important than the new testament. Too many dont seem to understand who their God actually is....

I never understood how you skip halfway thru a book and think you have a good grasp on what is going on
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #197
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
the Old testament is where the reader gets to know their God. the laws set forth in the old testament lay the foundation for what jesus would come to do later.... When Jesus states he didnt come to change the prophecy, he came to fulfill it, What is he talking about? What prophecy?... And how does he fulfill this?

Too many, especially christians seem to want to skip the old testament like it isnt that important... IMO it is more important than the new testament. Too many dont seem to understand who their God actually is....

I never understood how you skip halfway thru a book and think you have a good grasp on what is going on

I'm not advocating skipping the OT, but I don't think there is any harm in doing it Brantonli's way, especially if you're reading it for knowledge instead of worship. When Jesus talks of the old prophets and fullfilling their prophesy, it'll probably give him reason to go back and see what he was talking about.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #198
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I fully intend to go back through the Old Testament to read through it, it's just that, being at school, my teachers and friends (including the reverend) told me to read through the New one first. I know I've skipped through a lot in the Old testament, partly because the New one keeps referring back to the Old, but at times I'm quite surprised at how condensed events are, that stories that told at great length (and gusto) are written in the Bible in about 10 to 15 lines.

EDIT: btw, I'm not really reading the Bible to 'get to know God', because I'm agonostic, but I'm reading to get a full knowledge of the Bible.

Last edited by brantonli : 06-15-2009 at 02:27 PM.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #199
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #200
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
I'm not advocating skipping the OT, but I don't think there is any harm in doing it Brantonli's way, especially if you're reading it for knowledge instead of worship. When Jesus talks of the old prophets and fullfilling their prophesy, it'll probably give him reason to go back and see what he was talking about.

Reading it for knowledge is exactly why you should read it beginning to end... if you read if for worship than it doesnt matter..

Christians seem to promote this idea that you dont have to read the whole bible to understand it... Just read the new testament first, and then later you can read the old testament....

that is why I can rarely ever get a christian who knows what rules their god wants them to follow (from exodus).

If you read the bible in order, the story makes much more sense and you dont get the false idea that Jesus supersedes everything else that happened in the Bible

A good deal of the writings of the old testament are esoteric and very deep in nature.

Imo reading in order like you would do with any other book gives you the proper perspective on christianity and judaism.... christians for some reason like to suggest that people should skip the old testament....

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 06-15-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #201
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

btw.... Im not christian either... used to be, but not anymore..

my point is that the bible is a much more powerful book than it is given credit for...once you get beyond the religious foolishness, you can read the bible over again and it is almost like a totally different book because it means soo much more after the religious parameters are taken off of your mind
Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #202
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Well here's the Cliff's Notes:

The Bible in 50 words
God made
Adam bit
Noah arked
Abraham split
Jacob fooled
Joseph ruled
Bush talked
Pharaoh plagued
Sea divided
Tablets guided
Promise landed
Judges led
Saul freaked
David peeked
Kingdom divided
Prophets warned
People exiled
Hope rose
Jesus born
God walked
Anger crucified
Love rose
Spirit flamed
Word spread
God remained.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #203
Terp in LA
I airball my layups

Terp in LA has an OK reputation so far

The Professor's House by Willa Cather, and I Hate Your Guts by Jim Norton. Two very different books.
Terp in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #204
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Joseph O'Neill - Netherland. Seems overhyped so far.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #205
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Caring For Your Baby & Young Child: Birth to Age 5
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:57 AM   #206
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
[IMG][/IMG]
Well, the movie was fantastic, so that would probably make the book absolutely incredible. Look at the Bourne series. Pretty good movies, but they still can't touch Ludlum.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:59 AM   #207
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Well I guess if your a fan of Clancy.. youll finish it.

Usually, I finish everything but that just cause I read alot..

Ill just rush thru it as fast as I can, because I feel like if I start a novel, I just HAVE to finish...
I finished it since then. About 4-500 pages in (it's 1400 pages long) it becomes a series page-turner. Took me about a week and a half to read the first 400 and then about a day and a bit to read the last 900. Turned into something really, really darn good. Not Clancy's best, but even Clancy at 3/4 speed is better than 99% of other military/political fiction out there.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:06 AM   #208
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
I finished it since then. About 4-500 pages in (it's 1400 pages long) it becomes a series page-turner. Took me about a week and a half to read the first 400 and then about a day and a bit to read the last 900. Turned into something really, really darn good. Not Clancy's best, but even Clancy at 3/4 speed is better than 99% of other military/political fiction out there.

Niiiice... good to know, man
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:01 AM   #209
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #210
supersmashbros
Good college starter

supersmashbros is considered somewhat coolsupersmashbros is considered somewhat cool

supersmashbros is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: