Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #2266
mobbdeep
Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Re: What are you reading?

I was reading MMA fighter Chael Sonnen's book. I finished in a few hours. Funny book about the life of a MMA fighter although he talks about politics too much in a few chapters
mobbdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #2267
detroitkid816
I rule the local playground

Plato: The apology
detroitkid816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #2268
TheSilentKiller
NBA Legend

Going to start Game of Thrones series in a couple of days. I wanted to read the books before watching the show because I have heard the books are awesome.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #2269
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

just started this one

first person narrative of Aristotle which i was super excited to start and have thus far been underwhelmed by about a third of the way in. jumps around a bit chronologically from first meeting Alexander to childhood rearing, some stuff about his marriage. maybe it'll get better, so far they main character hasn't been fleshed out much, very stiff, i guess more or less exactly the sketch i'd have expected for aristotle based on his writings. not many meditative thoughts, everything just kinda tries to underscore his unyielding curiosity and attention to detail without ever delving into the truly fascinating aspects of his thought.

so bit of a bore that might turn juicy once the tutelage of alexander starts or if they jump over to his time under plato at the academy; maybe the author's just giving the character time to grow? hope so

also about 3/4's through The Poisonwood Bible which is absolutely spectacular, story of a baptist family of four girls and a preacher poppa who go to the congo as missionaries right at the dawn of independence and all the shit that went down there. excellent historical realism that puts the family just close enough to real events to know they're going on but also distant enough to believe the validity of their perspective. it's written in the first person from the pov of each of the four daughters and occasionally the mother, really skillfully done. highly recommend this one if you have any interest in religiously themed books, colonialism, african/western contrast, etc. particularly re religion, lots of terrific scripture scattered throughout that's always relevant to the events of the novel
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:10 AM   #2270
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Just started reading this yesterday. So far alot of the information has been very interesting. You could just tell that alot of research and time and effort went into writing this book. It's basically about the how and why of the eating problem faced in the United States. The author has broken down his reasons pretty well so far. I've been reading it at a slower pace though because I feel like trying to take in too much of this book at once would get confusing. If anyone is interested I'll post more about it when I'm finished.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:54 AM   #2271
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilige
Has anyone tried this out?

http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/

thanks for the link, imma check out what was suggested
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #2272
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

A couple of zombie novels:

glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #2273
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I just started the other day Bill James' Popular Crime. I'm not very far in. Maybe a hundred pages.

James as many of you I'm sure know is considered the founder of the modern statistical analysis approach to baseball evaluation. The fact that he's written this true crime novel is odd at best. But I do like James, in spite of what often comes off as a pompous tone, and I do like numerical analysis, in spite of myself, and I do really enjoy true crime as a genre.

I picked it up a while back when it came out and simply never read it. I just finished up a few things and had some spare time, so on a boring Sunday on my way to the car wash I figured I'd pick something out of my pile and give it a go, and this is what I got.

Firstly, he's got a really strange writing style. In spite of being incredibly loaded with data and logical presentation, he has an extremely conversational sensability in that he is constantly veering off on tangents, and even in his grammatical use, he'll literally say things like "... but now we're getting off topic.", as if we the reader were in a bar with him having a conversation. Very unusual, but so far I like it.

Secondly, unlike most of the stuff I read in the genre, it's a compendium of cases, as opposed to a focus on a single crime. I've read a few compendiums, but mostly I leave the compendium stuff to the internet. However he's taking a different perspective than most stuff I've read, in that it's not just the crimes he's focusing on, but rather the effects the crimes have society. How we cover them, how we consume them as news. It seems like it's gonna be pretty interesting. He seems to be running mostly linearly through time in the US, so no Jack the Ripper, and I just finished Lizzy Borden. Things should start to get interesting soon when he hits the modern stuff.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #2274
ZeN
Stormblessed

Bout to read this:

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #2275
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Halfway thru The Darma Bums by Kerouac. It has had some good moments but not what I had hoped for thus far.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #2276
irondarts

Finished Fields of Fire a few days ago, really, really devastatingly sad book.

Now I'm reading this:

At first I had a hard time getting into it, but now I'm really enjoying it.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:29 AM   #2277
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

I'm having a really hard time reading The Naked and the Dead, I don't like the way it's written at all.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #2278
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Bout to read this:

Finished this yesterday, id give it about a 7.0.. Its Dean Koontz novela so it doesnt really accrue a high mark. It is cool above average due to Odd Thomas. Decent enough for a first section, going to read Book Deux today and see if the action escalates enough to intrigue. Hopefully it does since the last book is less than 70 pages...

Last edited by ZeN : 06-26-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #2279
ZeN
Stormblessed

Dean Koontz' Odd Interlude: Part Two - 6.9 / 10

Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #2280
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Finished The Dharma Bums and I was a bit disappointed. It had a couple bright moments and it really made me want to go hiking and create some healthy distance between myself and city life but it lacked the magic that On the Road had. A lot of it just sounds like a journal of a guy who just discovered Buddhism and just spouts every new half-baked thought that pops into his head.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: