Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #2266
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: What are you reading?

dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #2267
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Yo Scholar what did you think of Catching Fire?

I havent read it yet, so im curious to how you found it to be.

Get on it, ZeN. I won't tell you what happens in it, but pretty much every chapter will make you almost unable to put the book down just so you can find out what's going to happen next.

The book has so much detail that I'm thinking whenever the next movie is released based off of Catching Fire, it'll be tame because they'll have to make the movie 3+ hours long just to capture every detail.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #2268
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here

Nothing, i consider reading the biggest waste of time (its not as good of an experience as you would watch a good movie of that plot instead, in 1-2 hours accompanied with people/friends/GF instead of days with letters.. alone), unless its educational or something really interesting of a figure/thing you like (basketball, martial arts, gandhi, bruce lee, magic & bird, jordan, whatever)... but even then i would prefer image/sound

Last edited by pauk : 06-01-2012 at 11:24 AM.
pauk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #2269
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Nothing, i consider reading a waste of time unless its educational

You'd rather slurp on LeBron's balls anyway, so it's no surprise.

Reading is a waste of time, yet trolling the NBA forum isn't? I see you're doing something productive with your life.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #2270
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Nothing, i consider reading a waste of time unless its educational

Its pretty obvious that you dont do a lot of "educational" reading either.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #2271
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar
You'd rather slurp on LeBron's balls anyway, so it's no surprise.

mature kiddie, all that reading didnt help your mind...

Quote:
Reading is a waste of time,

Yep.. thats not the issue, problem is it is the most boring thing ever, its just personal preference i guess, an acquired taste.... for me its not as good of an experience as you would watch a good movie of that plot instead, in 1-2 hours accompanied with people/friends/GF instead of days with letters.. alone, unless its educational or something really interesting of a figure/thing you like (basketball, martial arts, gandhi, bruce lee, magic & bird, jordan, whatever or hell even insidehoops if that counts considering this is more like chatting/talking)...

Thats just my opinion...

Quote:
yet trolling the NBA forum isn't?

Waste of time? Maybe... but its fun... fun like hell....

Quote:
I see you're doing something productive with your life.

Beats being a sour puss virgin sitting at home dead serious with no sense of humor reading absolute nonsense entire days..... (hey now, you had it coming)

Last edited by pauk : 06-01-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #2272
pauk
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Its pretty obvious that you dont do a lot of "educational" reading either.

How is it obvious? You dont know me, there is difference between truth and in your case delusion...

Calm down guys, its just my opinion... there is nothing wrong with reading, you may find something i read/like "boring / waste of time", understand? No reason to feel butthurt about somebody not sharing each and every of your opinions

Last edited by pauk : 06-01-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #2273
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Quote:
How is it obvious? You dont know me, there is difference between truth and in your case delusion...

Calm down guys, its just my opinion... there is nothing wrong with reading, you may find something i read/like "boring / waste of time", understand? No reason to feel butthurt about somebody not sharing each and every of your opinions

That's the thing, if you don't like reading, don't fucking post in this thread. Reading isn't about going through a story to say, "Yay! I finished it!" Some stories actually have deep meaning rooted in them that require a comprehending mind to unveil and dissect. Some novels can even enlighten a mind and cause change of lifestyles, ya dig? Of course, you don't. All you care about is trolling.
I bet you're the same douche bag who sits in an English course wondering why Lord of the Flies has a talking pig head named Beelzebub in it instead of actually trying to understand the meaning behind it, right?

Your time is clearly better devoted on attacking anyone and everyone who isn't as big of a LeBron dick rider as you.

Anyway, my wifey wanted to read "Mockingjay," so I bought this today at Barnes & Noble:

I've been reading it during my free time at work.
Epic so far.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #2274
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

Raj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

damn I agree w/Zen I haven't started Catching Fire yet but after reading Scholar's post it makes me wanna start it
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #2275
shawbryant
To be better

shawbryant is a pretty well-respected postershawbryant is a pretty well-respected postershawbryant is a pretty well-respected poster

The Effect Execution
shawbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #2276
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

pauk, the reason why most of the readers are passionate about reading is because they take an ACTIVE interest in it.

Meaning they
a) formulate images in their head
b) chuckle at the wit or lack thereof
c) draw parallels to certain happenings in real life
d) verify or refute any of the authors claims
e) wonder if they'd marry, f*ck, kill any of the characters
f) anticipate whats gonna happen, find a way all the pieces of the puzzle fittogether
g) cheer or root against
h) visualize the environment/setting
i) and so on and so forth.

It's fun as f*ck to figure this sh!t by yourself. You think engineers and writers and all members of academia . No, there's art and beauty in even something seemingly mundane and if you've got the brainpower and creativity you can literally MAKE it fun. Storytelling is literally DE FRICKIN STAPLE and ORIGINAL MODUS OPERANDI of our knowledge brah. But then again you're European and your media likes to profess how dumb and fat we are and how sophisticated and intelligent you chaps are since your history is just a wee bit less americocentric and you speak a different way. AS IF. WHATEVER. As a well travelled dude I know for a fact the best of America's ISH can reign hell upon the soft Euro conglomerates (tho Jasi may pose a threat)
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #2277
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

KingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
That's the thing, if you don't like reading, don't fucking post in this thread. Reading isn't about going through a story to say, "Yay! I finished it!" Some stories actually have deep meaning rooted in them that require a comprehending mind to unveil and dissect. Some novels can even enlighten a mind and cause change of lifestyles, ya dig? Of course, you don't. All you care about is trolling.
I bet you're the same douche bag who sits in an English course wondering why Lord of the Flies has a talking pig head named Beelzebub in it instead of actually trying to understand the meaning behind it, right?

Your time is clearly better devoted on attacking anyone and everyone who isn't as big of a LeBron dick rider as you.

Anyway, my wifey wanted to read "Mockingjay," so I bought this today at Barnes & Noble:

I've been reading it during my free time at work.
Epic so far.
solid book. main character creeped me out. doesnt care about anything lol
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #2278
TheSilentKiller
NBA Superstar

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Get on it, ZeN. I won't tell you what happens in it, but pretty much every chapter will make you almost unable to put the book down just so you can find out what's going to happen next.

The book has so much detail that I'm thinking whenever the next movie is released based off of Catching Fire, it'll be tame because they'll have to make the movie 3+ hours long just to capture every detail.

I thought the books got progressively worse. I really liked the first, the second one was good, but not as good. The third one was pretty boring.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #2279
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

edit: just realized there are some light spoilers in here if anybody hasn't read this but might want to

well i finally finished this super short one. i started it, then forgot about it throughout a lengthy Storm of Swords intermission, and just picked it back up this morning.

nowhere near the level or depth or thematic consistency of I Married a Communist. still good, particularly the stream of consciousness style detailing the main character's thoughts that bookended the bulk of the actual plot.

the plot itself... eh. raunchy, overtly sexual, but overall pretty thin. further proof that roth lacks a firm grasp of femininity. or at the very least, the way he writes female characters is rather short-sighted, somewhat of a caricature. in this one the leading woman is a flip flopping lesbian. i guess the novel doesn't go too far into the nature of her thoughts so you can't fairly criticize roth for painting her thin, but at the same time, it might reflect his inability to yield any depth out of her character.

lots of interesting meditation again though. i made a thread earlier about one from this book on suicide that was probably the single best portion of the book. and using an actor whose lost his mojo, or in other words who can no longer perform naturally, as a device to illustrate the way we all often feel about ourselves when we're forced to act in an uncomfortable role or setting... that was well done. as was the coming full circle near the end of the book as the main character carries out his climactic finale in fitting fashion.

this is only my second novel by him but already i can see that, in spite of this one clearly qualifying as only a second class roth novel, it still lets him do what he does best and made for a short solid read

next i think i'm gonna try to find that crazy sexual deviance novel about the jew that he did way back when, pretty sure it was very controversial at the time and having read the back cover at a book store, i can immediately see why
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #2280
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
solid book. main character creeped me out. doesnt care about anything lol

Meursault is an existentialist. He thinks life has no meaning; thus, he lives it without meaning, without purpose, only entertaining himself through physical means and not giving a shit about the emotional aspects.

Somewhat spoilers in white text:

When asked for his hand in marriage by his "fuck-buddy," Meursault says he doesn't mind either way. Any time she says, "I love you" to him, Meursault explains to her that he doesn't mind either way. When his mother dies, Meursault doesn't even bother seeing her one last time.

Anytime Meursault and his girlfriend spend time together, all he thinks about is banging her. He doesn't care about her thoughts, her characteristics, etc. He just cares about her "plump breasts" and how she "wraps her legs around my waist." (Might not be exact quotes, but pretty similar)

When Meursault murders the Arabian, he blames the sun's brightness and the day's heat on the action. He just worries about the physical world, nothing more. When he's at his mother's funeral, he falls asleep; while carrying the coffin to the burial site, all he does is think about himself, how sore he is, how sweaty, how tired, etc. Hell, the day after the funeral, he's on the beach with his chick, watches a comedy film, takes the chick home and bangs her. I mention all this to say that it's not that he's creepy; he just doesn't think human life has much meaning. Or any life for that matter. Don't even get me started on how low and degraded his thoughts are for his neighbor's old, scabby dog.

This novel blew my mind because it made me wonder about society in general. I'm sure everyone already figures that if you go against the norm, you're considered a L'Etranger, just like Meursault. That's the problem tackled in this novel. Instead of Meursault being truly tried for the murder of the Arabian on the beach, he is basically tried for being emotionally detached. That's where my mind = blown.

I read the novel in one day. I suggest that if you haven't read it, do it now. It's an entertaining book. It's only about 120-130 pages, and I honestly believe this is one of those rare books that could've been made better by adding more pages, but then again, it's fast-paced. All you know is what the narrator thinks, which makes it entertaining to dive into the mind of a (fictional) human being, one who shows no emotion not because he's uncaring but because he finds it purposeless.

10/10 No lie.

Last edited by Scholar : 06-05-2012 at 03:12 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: