Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #2281
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What are you reading?

i finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time about a month ago but i never really made the connection to The Stranger until now; thoughts on whether or not the main character is autistic? he certainly shares a bevy of the usual attributes so it'd make sense
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #2282
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
i finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time about a month ago but i never really made the connection to The Stranger until now; thoughts on whether or not the main character is autistic? he certainly shares a bevy of the usual attributes so it'd make sense

Never read the previously mentioned story in your post, but I suppose one could make an argument that Meursault exhibits characteristics of autism.
I didn't think about that to be honest, but now that you mention it, it does seem very plausible.
Albert Camus, the author, never did dwell into Meursault's state of mind after writing the novel, so I can't say for sure that that's what he was trying to portray him as, but again I could believe it.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #2283
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

you should totally check out The Curious Incident man. it's like the Meursault on steroids... err, autistic steroids at least. The Stranger only very subtly touches on the themes you mentioned, existentialism primarily as well as emotional detachment and a let-it-be kind of lifestyle. The Curious Incident is a different breed entirely. if you've never heard of it before, it's written convincingly from the perspective of a young autistic boy. nothing like The Stranger besides the similarities between the main characters, but i found the blatant use of autism in Curious Case really cut straight to the root of the difference you were describing; imo as simplified as i can possibly see it, the distinction essentially describes an individual's outlook towards other people. the stranger is called the stranger for a reason, the main character can't relate to anybody else, hell he can barely relate to himself as in understand himself as a human being like anybody else in the world... thus he's just a stranger to everything around him.

and if you understand autism the way i've come to understand it, the entire basis of the disorder (i don't really like calling it that) is built on an inability to conceive of a human being as anything other than a predictable machine that must be analyzed. the commonalities between an autistic person's own experience and the experience of every other human being isn't understood on an intimate level; instead of seeing people as subjects, they're just seen as more objects in an entire world of objects. and you react to them in turn.

i'm ranting now, had a few drinks earlier and its probably rubbing out in my writing (it tends to), but if The Stranger really struck you for the reasons you described, at least as i understood them, check the above novel to go even deeper into those interesting differences you can find to varying degrees between just about any person you come across. very fascinating subject of analysis imo.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #2284
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I just finished Matterhorn. One of the better novels I've read in a long time, what an insanely powerful book.

Now I'm about to start this:

irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #2285
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Good luck not feeling like complete shit after reading those back to back. Matterhorn was bad enough, but Fields of Fire will elevate you to an entirely new level of suffering.

BTW, I'm starting this:

johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:54 AM   #2286
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Good luck not feeling like complete shit after reading those back to back. Matterhorn was bad enough, but Fields of Fire will elevate you to an entirely new level of suffering.

BTW, I'm starting this:

Yeah, Matterhorn was so tough, especially the final few battle scenes, and then the ending with Hawke, jesus.

And that Mailer book is waiting for me to pick up at the Library, I was debating weather to read that and then Fields of Fire, decided to read FOF and then the Mailer book.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:55 AM   #2287
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Where can i download "Can i keep my jersey?" from Paul Shirley ??

Any help please?
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #2288
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
Yeah, Matterhorn was so tough, especially the final few battle scenes, and then the ending with Hawke, jesus.

And that Mailer book is waiting for me to pick up at the Library, I was debating weather to read that and then Fields of Fire, decided to read FOF and then the Mailer book.
Yeah, before the ending with Hawke, I really felt Matterhorn was going to end with at least some sort of positive outlook, and if not positive, at least not downright gut-wrenching. But it did.

I can promise you, if you felt the wind knocked out of your sails by the end of Matterhorn, the entire second half of Fields of Fire is going to make you want to cry.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #2289
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
Yeah, before the ending with Hawke, I really felt Matterhorn was going to end with at least some sort of positive outlook, and if not positive, at least not downright gut-wrenching. But it did.

I can promise you, if you felt the wind knocked out of your sails by the end of Matterhorn, the entire second half of Fields of Fire is going to make you want to cry.
BTW, I didn't realize FoF was written by the senator basically told Bush to go f*ck himself because he was against him sending American servicemen to a foreign land to die. Good for him.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #2290
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
Losing Vancouver was the worst for me, bar none. One of those things you knew would happen but were still devastated by.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #2291
irondarts

Quote:
Losing Vancouver was the worst for me, bar none. One of those things you knew would happen but were still devastated by.
Another part of the book that really, really got to me was when they were traveling through the jungle trying to set up Sky Cap, and didn't have any food for 8 days, and Hippy had such terrible immersion foot, and Simpson wouldn't send any more food in. The scene where the chopper came in with more supplies, but no more food and they were all so confused as to why there wasn't any food, that shit got to me. I hated Simpson and Blakely.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:19 AM   #2292
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

@ RidonKs, that novel sounds interesting. I'll be sure to check it out. If you're comparing it even slightly to The Stranger, that's high enough praise for me to read it.
Lately I've been buying a lot of books, but I think I'll just renew my library card & check some out instead.

I recently ordered "Limitless: The Novel" off of Amazon.com. It should arrive at my house any day now, so I'll let you guys know how the novel fares against the movie.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #2293
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #2294
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
I got that last month, but haven't read it yet. Still got Knightquest, Prey and Dark Knight Returns to read as well.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #2295
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
This book is horrendously bad. I can't believe it. It's horribly written and the content is so annoying it's unbearable. All West does is whine and whine and whine and tell bizarre stories. He talks about extremely irrational resentments he has, and complains about all of the "injustices" he's had. He constantly says how modest he is, and how he hates people praising him, but he constantly is subtly praising himself. In the second chapter, he says how he is so modest and has such humility, and then the very next sentence he says, not only does he do things well, he does them perfectly.

If you're a fan of West, don't read this book, you may not be afterwards.

What about this book?

http://www.amazon.com/Jerry-West-Lif...9000639&sr=1-3
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: