Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #2356
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Default Re: What are you reading?

intedasting book to say the least
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #2357
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

I don't know what it is about these soccer books, but MAN they are good reads.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #2358
RidonKs
NBA Legend

i'm definitely down for this book club btw dash, assuming we stick with a book a month or something and it doesn't move to quick. i'm not the fastest reader.

american pastoral is everything i could have possibly hoped for btw
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #2359
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

I got a GoodReads account a while back and I just saw you guys have a book club there. I just joined!

I recently just finished:

It was good. The movie and book follow pretty close to each other. It's an easy read that is enjoyable.

7/10

and

This is Stephen King's magnum opus and one I have heard a lot of good things about. Very quick read (finished it in less than a day), kind of slow paced, but still good.

7/10

Now reading:

Last edited by Juges8932 : 07-08-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #2360
Kobe Jnr
Banned

just srated the third shahes book. dont know what it is, only read 2 chapters, then stopped. others, i kept going going and going..
Kobe Jnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #2361
irondarts

The Wanderers was epic, just like every other Price book.

Now I'm about to start this:

irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #2362
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Hyperion (Cantos) by Dan Simmons - 10/10

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #2363
Jasi
Quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Hyperion (Cantos) by Dan Simmons - 10/10

10/10?
Tell us about it.
Jasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #2364
irondarts

Just finished Why Didn't You Get Me Out? It was a very good and really interesting read, particularly the parts about Bobby Garwood.

Just started this:

irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #2365
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasi
10/10?
Tell us about it.

Quote:
On the eve of Armageddon, with the entire galaxy at war, seven pilgrims set forth on a final voyage to Hyperion seeking the answers to the unsolved riddles of their lives. Each carries a desperate hope--and a terrible secret. And one may hold the fate of humanity in his hands.

Quote:
Though 'Hyperion' is dependent upon its sequel and ends with a tooth-grinding cliff-hanger, it is in its way self-contained. 'Hyperion' is centered on the six pilgrims' tales, their pasts, the terrible needs which drive them to confront what is almost certain death--or worse. Each of the tales is written in a unique style, and each introduces a new element to bind the story as a whole. All are wrenching, even disturbing in their intensity, in their focus on the deepest possible of human suffering.

I post the above because the story is literally filled with so many details that its difficult to explain. Its a futuristic world were there is not one earth but two. Where there are different societies some not being humans. And a deity called The Shrike. The reason why the novel is so great is its effortless ability to unravel the different intricacies of the world, while keeping story momentum. It sort of reminds me of A Game of Thrones in that its difficult to explain because it throws you into an entirely new world with a large cast of characters. And much like that series, Simmons does a splendid job with his elaborate characterizations and his creating intriguing elaborate background stories for those characters. The individual stories are really engaging in their dark despondent content. It really explores some tragic aspects of the human condition. However, like with great space operas, it does it while including thrilling action and captivating science fiction elements.

Hyperion is Part One of the series.. It concludes with a thrilling satisfying cliff hanger that makes you want to quickly jump into the sequel.

Hyperion is a space opera that tells the story of various individuals. It brilliantly describes the story's future world by revealing all the key elements of the world through the tales told.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #2366
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Quote:
In this thread nominate one book. The theme for the first books is satire. Each nominee will be assigned a number. I will put said numbers in a hat, and draw 2 numbers. Those books will then have a runoff election. The person who nominates the winning book leads the first discussion.
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...ination-thread

Join The Good Reads Group
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #2367
Faptastrophe
Rivalries Never Die

"The Miserable Life of SacJB Shady"

If serious..:

Faptastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #2368
IGotACoolStory
Harry Giles:Next KG

Couple on here recommended Play Their Hearts Out. That book on the AAU basketball circuit.

I'm about 300 pages in and it's fascinating. It's crazy how an AAU coach, of all people, can basically become a segregate parent to some pre-teen basketball star and control his life. I mean pulling kids out of school and "home schooling" them without their actual parent's consent? Treating 12 and 13 year olds like trading cards and, psychologically, like rag dolls

I wonder how this kind of stuff works out. I know in the prologue, Dohrmann spoke about how he came to writing this book and how he met Keller. But I'm pretty sure you need Keller's consent to use him in the book and if I were him, I would never have let Dohrmann use my name. There's no such thing as bad publicity? Bull shit. 3/4's the way reading through this and not only would I not allow my hypothetical kid 100 meters from Keller; if I met Keller in person, I would kick him in the balls with all the force I would be able to muster up. And I'm sure most feel the same way after reading this.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #2369
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I nominated A Confederacy of Dunces. If others have already read it I can change it.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #2370
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Use The Goodreads thread Zen.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: