Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #2671
Le Shaqtus
#UCF #ChargeOn

Le Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
I finally read 1984 for the first time in my life. I finished it up at the same time the whole NSA shit went down. Coincidental.

I burned through Born to Run over two weeks.

Totally changed my outlook on running.

I'm back to reading again and I'm happy for it.

Great, Great book
Le Shaqtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #2672
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Tremendous book. I'll write a legitimate review later but I really enjoyed it.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #2673
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero

Someone recommended this in the A song of Ice and Fire thread on the Rogan Board. I just bought it today and looking forward to getting started on it.

Finally finished.. it's a pretty good book. Took me waaaay to long to finish. It is not on the level of GRRM. It took a while to get going, but the reveal at the end was pretty well done. I'm on to the second book now, been in a reading mood lately, so hopefully I can finish this book much faster.

Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:29 AM   #2674
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

OldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
I finally read 1984 for the first time in my life.

Dat bluepint
OldSkoolball#52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:10 AM   #2675
Immortal Bum
Decent playground baller

Immortal Bum has not been impressing people

the spook who sat by the door by sam greenlee
Immortal Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:18 AM   #2676
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Any fans of Salinger/Catcher in the Rye? Exciting news for potential serial killers/celebrity murderers-
Film on Salinger Claims More Books Are Coming

Mr. Salinger, who died in 2010 at the age of 91, has been known for a distinguished but scant literary oeuvre that was capped by the enormous success of his 1951 novel, “The Catcher in the Rye.”

But a forthcoming documentary and related book, both titled “Salinger,” include detailed assertions that Mr. Salinger instructed his estate to publish at least five additional books — some of them entirely new, some extending past work — in a sequence that he intended to begin as early as 2015.

The new books and stories were largely written before Mr. Salinger assigned his output to a trust in 2008, and would greatly expand the Salinger legacy.

One collection, to be called “The Family Glass,” would add five new stories to an assembly of previously published stories about the fictional Glass family, which figured in Mr. Salinger’s “Franny and Zooey” and elsewhere, according to the claims, which surfaced in interviews and previews of the documentary and book last week.

Another would include a retooled version of a publicly known but unpublished tale, “The Last and Best of the Peter Pans,” which is to be collected with new stories and existing work about the fictional Caulfields, including “Catcher in the Rye.” The new works are said to include a story-filled “manual” of the Vedanta religious philosophy, with which Mr. Salinger was deeply involved; a novel set during World War II and based on his first marriage; and a novella modeled on his own war experiences.

For decades, those in touch with Mr. Salinger have said that he had continued to write assiduously, though he stopped publishing after a long story, “Hapworth 16, 1924,” appeared in The New Yorker. But no one had made so detailed a public claim that Mr. Salinger had left extensive posthumous publishing plans.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/bu...anted=all&_r=0
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #2677
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I really liked Franny and Zooey growing up so I'll be interested in reading "The Family Glass."
Old 08-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #2678
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

nightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Finally read Great Gatsby and am almost finished with Zealot. Zealot has been a very fun read. I love books that analyze and explore history like that. Can anyone recommend other books like this? I already ordered Guns, Germs, and Steel so that one is next but I'm thinking about picking up Aslan's other book No God but God.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #2679
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

nightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Any fans of Salinger/Catcher in the Rye? Exciting news for potential serial killers/celebrity murderers-
That's pretty cool. I really enjoyed CITR back in the day. I watched a documentary in high school that explained how Lennon's killer misinterpreted the book's ending.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #2680
Dresta
BANNED!!!!

Dresta is starting to rub some people the wrong wayDresta is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Half way through and I'm enjoying it a lot. I'll write a review on here when I finish because it's interesting to see how the debate between Keynsianism and Austrian economics has largely stayed the same since the 1930s.

Keynes is a massive turd who is responsible for the depressing state of contemporary economics. He learned primarily from Marshall, and then shat all over everything Marshall stood for. He developed a politically convenient brand of economics and then sold it to politicians who lapped it up while drooling at the prospect of all the increases in power it would allow them. ****ing hate Keynes.

On the other hand, i just read Hayek's The Constitution of Liberty, and it is excellent.
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #2681
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

decided to read the game of thrones series. I have not seen the tv show yet. I am on the dance of dragons. Pretty good series. I have not really been into fantasy type books since I was a young teen. I am interested to see how it all pans out (10 years from now, when he finally finishes the series).
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #2682
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresta
Keynes is a massive turd who is responsible for the depressing state of contemporary economics. He learned primarily from Marshall, and then shat all over everything Marshall stood for. He developed a politically convenient brand of economics and then sold it to politicians who lapped it up while drooling at the prospect of all the increases in power it would allow them. ****ing hate Keynes.

On the other hand, i just read Hayek's The Constitution of Liberty, and it is excellent.

I don't agree at all. I think politicians certainly take the politically convenient view of Keynes' economics but that is not his doing. It seems more to me that the political institutions are the danger and not the theory in and of itself. I think Keynes was a brilliant economist who helped uncover extremely important relationships in the macroeconomy that have become a valuable part of contemporary economics.

Hayek was a great political philosopher and he is an important counterweight to politicians looking to misuse Keynes' theories but his contribution to economic theory isn't outstanding. In the book, it describes how Milton Friedman basically straddled the line between both. Friedman praised the economics of Keynes and the political philosophy of Hayek.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #2683
macmac
Gov'n

macmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm into old school gritty crime novels these days.

Reading the friends of Eddy Coyle by George V Higgins and the wheel man by Swierczyski.

Eddy Coyle reads just like the dialogue in Killing them Softly which is adapted from another novel of his.
macmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #2684
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Just finished it on the train this morning. Good book with pretty sound advice for all readers which is too try to train yourself to think more in terms of probabilities instead of absolutes. He is a big fan of Bayesian updating, which is essentially just updating your estimate of the probability of an event occuring based on new evidence.

He touched on some really cool subjects like chess, gambling, and weather forecasting which was really cool. Overall, it was an easy read that is clear and easy to digest.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #2685
Dresta
BANNED!!!!

Dresta is starting to rub some people the wrong wayDresta is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I don't agree at all. I think politicians certainly take the politically convenient view of Keynes' economics but that is not his doing. It seems more to me that the political institutions are the danger and not the theory in and of itself. I think Keynes was a brilliant economist who helped uncover extremely important relationships in the macroeconomy that have become a valuable part of contemporary economics.

Hayek was a great political philosopher and he is an important counterweight to politicians looking to misuse Keynes' theories but his contribution to economic theory isn't outstanding. In the book, it describes how Milton Friedman basically straddled the line between both. Friedman praised the economics of Keynes and the political philosophy of Hayek.
Keynes served up his theory on a politically convenient platter. His theory was politically asymmetrical, and he knew it.

So many modern economic problems and fallacies have come from Keynes: the pointless obsession with the GDP stat, the complete disengaging of economists from reality and their obsession with abstract mathematical models, ubiquitous state spending and the belief the state can solve everyone's problems, the crude development of a macroeconomic discipline completely out of touch with reality, the fallacy of there being such a thing as a 'national economy' and many more.

Furthermore, he was an arrogant dick in all walks of life. He prevented much of the Austrian discipline from being translated because he reviewed Mises's book (despite not knowing German) and gave it a bad review in spite of not being able to read it. He was a bully and an elitist who was born with a silver spoon jammed so far down his throat that he had lost touch with reality from the crib onwards.

The book sounds terribly simplistic to me, and now having looked it up i am sure it is. It portrays the economic discipline as having two sides (Austrian/Keynesian) and there being some kind of battle between them. Hence why you think Friedman straddled the middle (he didn't, he was a free-market dogmatist in a way Hayek never was, all he brought was his brand of monetarism that was a disaster).

You need to read a bit more about Hayek if you don't think his economic contributions were first rate. Not only his own work, but he brought Menger and other Austrian ideas to light when they had been so well ignored. Contrast that with Keynes who was proven wrong on a number key issues (e.g. mass unemployment coupled with high inflation in the 1970s, which he had deemed impossible).

(read Hayek's The Use of Knowledge in Society for example. In substance, it is better than anything Keynes ever wrote - though Keynes had the sparkling prose)
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: